main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Rouge planet worth reading?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by magneto, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magneto

magneto Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    ok right now I'm half way through Rouge planet and to be honest it is boring me half to death.The only reason I started reading it is to learn about Vergere.I'm kinda late to the NJO and I've only just finished the Dark tide Duoligy, but I've bought Agents of Chaos1: Hero's trial.I really want to start reading HT but I thought I had to read Rouge PLanet first.

So my Question IS: is Rouge Planet impoertant to the NJO?

2. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Whether its 'important' to the NJO is still up in the air. It does have connections. And I would read it before AotC, as it was released before Hero's Trial. So, if you want to read the novels in the same order that most of us did, thats what I'd do.

Check out reviews and the synopsis of Rogue Planet at amazon.com and deside if it even intrests you. If not, don't read it. Although I'd personally suggest you do read it, as I enjoyed it.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Is it worth reading?

It is very boring, but it's better than some of the other books. I guess it depends what you consider worth reading.

Is it important to NJO?

No.

EDIT: Let me clarify. Yes, it ties in to the NJO. It gives you a little background on how long the Vong have been around and who, exactly, Vergere is. But it's not important to the NJO per se.

4. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    RP was released before HT, so DelRey definitely thought it should be read first. however, that was before anyone even knew the character Vergere exsisted. They caught us by surprise, if you will. You can find what little info there is about her practically anywhere now, so it's possible to follow the NJO's storyline without RP. I would highly suggest reading it for the sake of character development and plot, too, but that's simply my opinion.

If you want to know, Vergere's main part in the book takes place towards the end.

5. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Actually Vergere isn't physically in the novel, she is just mentioned a bunch. And the story kinda revolves around something she did/is able to take place because of something she did.

6. magneto

magneto Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    SHE'S NOT IN IT PHYSICALLY???????
    damn Thats what I was mainly reading for to see what she's like.:(

7. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    For that you should try Cloak of Deception.

8. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Yep. She's in the background for most of CoD. Not much character development but neat to see. You'll see her character for the most part in the NJO. I'd still recommend reading RP if you're intrested in her.

9. Jag_Fel

Jag_Fel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2002
    You shouldn't care if it ties in or not, it is one **** of a well written book. Not because of action, plot or anything superficial, it is just (literarilly) speaking, a really good book.

10. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    I really enjoyed it and found it to be a really interesting book. Not at all boring.

11. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I haven't been able to get into it at all. I've read the first half or so twice, and just can't manage to keep going. I'm going to eventually, at which point I'm sure I'll be able to better judge the quality of it as a whole.

Amazing.

12. Sinje_Gawa

Sinje_Gawa Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2001
    I think the reason some people find it boring is that the author is more of a hard sci-fi writer instead of a fantasy sci-fi writer. If you don't like or aren't used to the different styles you'll likely have problems.

13. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    You'd probably like the movie better. I mean, who would've thought that Obi-Wan could sing so well? "Come What May" is a great song.

Oh. You mean Rogue Planet. [face_plain]

14. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Thanks, Sturm, you beat me to the punch.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Greg Bear is indeed a hard SF writer, probably one of the most respected writers to do a SW book from a hard SF background.

SW is considered soft SF, the ideas of SF: spaceships, star systems, FTL travel are there but only present. In hard SF the ideas are gone into more detail and the author attempts to make them scientifically plausible, consistent with science's current knowledge. Hence a Stephen Baxter book will use current notions of cosmology and play with the theories while telling a story, SW never does that: the story is all.

As for did DR mean for it to be read before HT, I'd say no. At the time they were, as now, releasing stories in one of two time periods, Prequels and NJO. RP is an attempt to put a peripheral link between the two, as VP's mentioning of the Jedi Council was; but no more than that. You certainly don't need to read it to find HT totally comprehensible.

Jedi Ben

16. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    With what's been done in the NJO up to now, I don't think reading Rogue Planet is necessary, however I would highly suggest reading it at some point as it provided some really nice development of Anakin Skywalker. It's also great to see the interaction between him and Obi-Wan and a couple moments where Anakin lets his darker side emerge.

17. DARKAURUM

DARKAURUM Jedi Master star 3

Jan 21, 2002
    NO, it's not worth reading. It's poorly written.
    -DarkAurum

18. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    You should really say that as an opinion, DARKAURUM. I personally thought the book was very well written, from a certain point of view.

It was one of the more technically advanced SW books, but the story in and of itself had no real significant point. It's really just a filler between ep. 1 and 2. That and it gives some character developement for Anakin.

I really think that the whole Vergere thing is just to add a little suprise to her character and let us know she's a jedi, which becomes important later on, probably. However, it does not give us a better feeling on how long the vong were in the GFFA. We already knew they were there pre-empire. It was in one of the Dark Tide books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.