main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is sex outdated?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by CarbonKnight, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Let's try to keep it mature here.

2. neimoidian_85

neimoidian_85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    How can some one with a right mind keep this mature? It sounds like a joke; Carbon, no offense, but this is pitiful. The idea of it is all absurd.

3. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    So, unlike the animal kingdom, humans have sex for pleasure...

Let me point out that dolphins also have sex for pleasure...and some monkey species have sex to tighten their bond in the group and that doesn't only include male/female but also female/female and male/male sex...

4. Force of Nature

Force of Nature Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 1999
    Recreational sex is unlikely, IMO, to go out of fashion any time soon, and there's no getting away from the fact that we're a sexually reproducing species. Were you thinking, CarbonKnight, that we should be moving towards a more clinical approach ... donated eggs/sperm, in vitro fertilisation, perhaps more use of surrogates? Perhaps I'm being unduly pessimistic, but I think that could create at least as many problems as it might be hoped to solve.

PS: I have to disagree with what I think you were implying in your first post. I strongly suspect that for most, if not all, other animals reproduction is merely a consequence of mating, whereas in our species some individuals mate with the deliberate intention of reproducing.

5. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    In a perfect world, we'd procreate on some special day, much like Christmas... only better.

Read "1984" lately? I wouldn't consider that world perfect.

6. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    The only way sex will become outdated is if we chop off our genitals or create an exact simulation (see Sleeper or Demolition Man).

Until then, there is no substitute.

7. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    "In a perfect world, we'd procreate on some special day, much like Christmas... only better."

Unfortunately for this idea different woman are more fertile or responsive at different times of the year. Restricting people to certain special days would limit people's chances of procreating!

8. CarbonKnight

CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I'm not saying I don't like , and I will continue to partake in it. However, I happen to feel that the most advanced beings on the earth come across as primitive animals (which is true, to a degree), and impairs their judgement on a great number of things.

When you consider how many babies are conceived unintentionally, I think it's obvious there is a problem with the whole notion of for pleasure instead of reproduction.

9. CarbonKnight

Apr 19, 2002
    Unfortunately for this idea different woman are more fertile or responsive at different times of the year. Restricting people to certain special days would limit people's chances of procreating!

Actually, I mean to say the consequences of are so great, that there should be one day a year at most that people should try to procreate. And as this thought is merely a fantasy (ie a perfect world) we can forgive the fact that not all woman have the same cycles.

If some higher being were to design reproduction for humans keeping in mind the stage that humans are at now, it certainly wouldn't be the we know of today.

10. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    This sounds suspiciously like the complaining of a man who ain't gettin' none ;)

11. Lieutenant Tschel

Lieutenant Tschel Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 1999
    And that's why the machines shall seize control of the earth, like the Cylons in Battlestar Galactica. The only way for humanity to survive would be to become like Vulcans.

12. Ramius

Ramius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2002
    The only way for humanity to survive would be to become like Vulcans

[face_laugh] Have sex once every seven years!

13. Darth Mulacki

Darth Mulacki Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 4, 1999
    I'm not saying sex isn't important or highly emotional, but I feel as though many times is mistaken for love, when it is anything but

Of course sex is love, it's a very important part of a loving relationship and should never be just about procreation. IMO sex is the greatest way of showing your love by giving emence pleasure to your partner.

-Mulacki

14. Darkside_Spirit

Darkside_Spirit Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 9, 2001
    Why is sex a "primitive" means of pleasure? Intercourse arguably provides the most intense pleasure a human can experience, so it is very advanced in doing its job, and to my mind, not at all primitive. :D

15. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    This reminds me of the simpsons episode where the members of mensa rule springfield. Comic book Guy describes how mating will take place"Mating will take place once every seven years, which fo rsome of you wil mean much less sex, but for me will mean much much more".

Carbonknight sex is for animals, and we are animals so therefore we use it. Besides that most of the animals with a higher brain capacity do seem to get plaesure out of it. Hey we do need a reason to procreate and our unsatiable libidos sure do the trick.

16. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    No.

For procreation, there are other methods. But sex is outdated for neither reasons.

We were made to have sex.

So then... why would it be outdated?

17. neimoidian_85

neimoidian_85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    You do know humans are animals right?

18. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Neimodian, you stole my reply :p!

Carbon_Knight, are you vegetable? Or mineral?

I love sex, in case anybody cares.

By the way, if sex weren't pleasurable, instinct-laden animals wouldn't have it, since most lower animals are dominated by what freud would call Id. If it feels good, they do it.

Geez, I know a lot of people like that. They're all male too...

Rebecca191, you're posts here are some funny ****! :)

Peace,

V-03

19. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Thanks. I try. :)

20. sleazo

Aug 13, 2001
    By the way, if sex weren't pleasurable, instinct-laden animals wouldn't have it, since most lower animals are dominated by what freud would call Id. If it feels good, they do it.

Hence why it feels good for us, hence why our lives are dominated by it one way or the other. Why do people want money? To attract a mate. Why do people like and want to succeed in sports? TO atract a mate. Why do women wear makeup? TO attract a mate. Jewelry, nice cars, athletic prowess, hunting prwess, intelligence, these are all markers to the oppoastie sex indicating good genes, or the ability to raise offspring without poverty. Whether it is concious or subconcious sex dominates our lives.

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    What?! Is sex outdated?! It's what promulgates the spieces.

Plus, it feels good to give and receive. :D

22. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

i am wondering what your actual argument is, CarbonKnight... it seems to me that you are are not questioning sex so much as what pleasure is, and what should be considered pleasurable...

first, when you are talking about "us" as "the most intelligent species of the planet," are you omitting those who are still at a basic-instinctual level of survival? i don't know if you've noticed lately, but not everyone is a genius... i think the first half hour of any given "Jerry Springer" show should provide sufficient evidence of that.

anyway... i think that you could also ask, why do humans watch sports for pleasure? competition is also very primitive.. animalistic... why haven't we discarded those often brutal forms of entertainment for more intellectual pursuits?

i also think that it has something to do with ones ability to play. playfulness is a sign of intelligence. animals who play are often quite intelligent (dolphins, for instance, as someone mentioned above.)

so.. what is so unintelligent about pleasure?

23. sleazo

Aug 13, 2001
    I just think he probably doesnt get any, as i referred to the comic book guy in an earlier post.

24. CarbonKnight

Apr 19, 2002
    Wow, Sleazo, you're very perceptive. It's like you've known me all my life.

By the way, if weren't pleasurable, instinct-laden animals wouldn't have it, since most lower animals are ted by what freud would call Id. If it feels good, they do it.

Do some research. Humans have sechs for pleasure, and most animals don't. I've only heard of rare species of monkeys receiving pleasure from it. Most animals only have sechs when the female is in heat, and one of the more interesting traits of the human female is that "she" hides her menstrual cycle from males to increase the chance of conception.

And it is my opinion that less than 5,000 years ago it was rare for a woman to have an orgazm.

25. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Do some research. Humans have sechs [sic] for pleasure, and most animals don't. I've only heard of rare species of monkeys receiving pleasure from it. Most animals only have sechs [sic] when the female is in heat, and one of the more interesting traits of the human female is that "she" hides her menstrual cycle from males to increase the chance of conception.

It is true that dolphins and bonobos are the only animals that will mate when there is absolutely no chance of conception. These are the only species that we cannot rationalize, that is. For example, birds will try to get males to mate with them after they've laid their eggs. Humans say that they only do this to trick the male into caring for the eggs, but we don't know this is true.

It's also clear that animals masturbate for pleasure. That's very well documented in the animal kingdom.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I'm arguing this, or what your argument is CarbonKnight. What do you suggest we do if it appears that sex is, indeed, outdated? What would be the substitute for the most intimate connection we have between two humans?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.