1. The Jedi Council Forum Rules have been revised.

View the revisions here, and see the Communications thread for more details.

Is Sintra beter then ABS?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by FreakADroid, Apr 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. FreakADroid Jedi Knight

star 1
    Look at the Title.

I am having some Biker Scout Armor made for me, and I would like to know which is better.
    I will just be using Sintra for the armor. The helmet, I will probally buy. If ABS is better. Tell me now. :)
  2. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    Sintra all the way!!! Use it.
  3. Super_Trooper Jedi Knight

star 1
    i belive that abs is just a stiffer plastic less flexiable as sintra is more flexiable id go with abs but thats me
  4. Stubbzilla TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 2
    Choose ABS. It's much tougher and gives you the shininess without having to paint.
  5. Skaught Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sintra is a brand name for sheet PVC plastic. It can not be vacuformed, so I don't see how it can be made into all the scout pieces (like the backpack). It's also flat in color, so it would need to be painted. ABS is a higher quality plastic, comes in a high gloss finish, and can be vacuformed.

Comparing Sintra and ABS is like comparing apples and oranges. Are you sure you don't mean styrene and ABS? Polystyrene is typically the cheaper alternative to ABS. I've never heard Sintra used in the same sentence!

Scott
  6. FreakADroid Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks, alot for the output. But I am going with Sintra because it is cheaper, when I get the money I will get an ABS suit made.
  7. Stubbzilla TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 2
    Just as an aside, I have heard of people vacuumforming sintra.
  8. Skaught Jedi Knight

star 2
    I've tried, and it doesn't stretch, it rips!

Scott
  9. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    i have vac'd it successfully. i wouldn't recommend it as if it starts to burn the fumes are toxic. also if it is stretched too thin it produces an awful texture.

back to your question. the abs vs sintra thing depends on what you want to do. in your case you want biker scout armor. typically this is done in gloss white ABS. it will save you painting time to take this route. sintra tends to have a matte or satin finish which you would have to paint.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.