main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is SoftImage XSI good?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DigiSm89, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-dom

darth-dom Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2000
    I'm using XSI at the moment and I was after a bit of help.

I made a particle system for my Space ship exhaust and I'm trying to duplicate it to put on the other engine, and it won't work. The particle cloud never copies properly - there's alweys a rendering problem. I tried saving it as a single file so that I could re-open it and do it like that. Are you supposed to save particle systems as a .xsi or what?

Thanks for any help.

And by the way, I tried animating an AT-At walker once. It was a nightmare. You shouldn't have too much trouble with the droid picking up a gun.

2. Ulric

Ulric Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    Darth-dom :
    the specific problem you're having with particles is that the volumes of two particle clouds cannot intersect. This is a problem with the way they are rendered. To work-around this, you can put two (or more) emmiters in the same cloud, for example one emmiter for each reactor. You can get more help and details either on the forums on www.highend3d.com or the XSI mailing list, which you can get to on that site.

With regards to animating an AT-AT walking, this is indeed where it gets more complicated. About ten years ago I animated an ATAT from the SWMA in 3D Studio R3. It was quite a pain.. but it's doable with patience (which I didn't have enough of). Nowdays one would use skeletons and a more complex character rig to faciliate the work, but it requires a few month to learn to use these these tools correctly.

Look on Amazon.com for the book "Digital Character Animation 2: Essential Techniques"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.