main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Is Spar still the Mando leader?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fashod, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But did not Spar refuse to become Manda'lor in the Republic Commando series? Or have I misunderstood it?

2. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    As it stands now, Spar's refusal in Order 66 is a refusal to resume the roll of Mand'alor, a roll he stepped down from earlier in the Clone Wars, following the decimation of the Mandalorian Protectors during the battle of Norval II. The statement that there has been no Mand'alor since the death of Jango Fett is factually inaccurate, and can be treated as an outright error, or as a specific conflict of in-universe character opinion in regard to what constitutes a legitimate Mand'alor. The New Mandalorian-appointed Mand'alor Satine Kryze (confirmed to hold the title in the Shadow Conspiracy novelization), for instance, was not recognized with legitimacy by the warrior clans, despite her lengthy tenure as the leader of her own people.

I would suggest taking another look at that section of the novel. The Last Jedi not only further fleshes out the Oyu'baatand the Keldabe atmosphere, building directly off of the description of the cantina and city from the Republic Commando and Legacy of the Force novels, but populates it with various background Mandalorians. The bartender is likely the same individual as shown in Order 66 and Imperial Commando: 501st, and the owner of the Keldabe parts shop visited by I-Five and Den was a Mandalorian woman wearing a synthskin bodysuit minus armor plates at the time. Not to mention Xizor's Mandalorian bodyguards. The only thing is that none of them, besides Xizor's guards, are of any relevance to Jax's mission aside from being (background) citizens of Mandalore he has to wade through during the course of his mission.

Keep in mind that Xizor's present on Mandalore only after his lieutenant, placed on Mandalore to oversee Black Sun operations on Concordia and the surrounding sector, alerts him to Jax poking around under an assumed name. Otherwise, it's likely that Xizor never would have taken such a personal interest in Mandalore.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So I had misunderstood it. Thanks for the info

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  4. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    You're very welcome, happy to help! :D

eht13 likes this.
  5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Nice to see you back, Mia Mesharad.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You seems to know this so maybe you can help me with something that is confusing me. Was it indicated in the Republic Commando books that Spar had formerly been the Mand'alor or was that a later "fix" to make the material in the RC books fit with The History of the Mandalorians?

Also why do we italic Mand’alor?

7. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Thank you! :D

It's...complicated. The time frame of Order 66 and the noted discussion of Spar's guilt following an in-text unspecified event, lend credence to the acknowledgement of the Mandalorian Protectors' "offscreen" exploits, as described in The History of the Mandalorians. However, Spar is not addressed as Mand'alor, and more than one character states that Jango was the last true Mand'alor prior to Fenn Shysa's ascension. The first point aligns rather well with History, as Spar is stated to have stepped down, shell-shocked by the battle on Norval II, but the second point conflicts with the established fact of Spar claiming the title of Mandalore the Resurrector. Subsequent sources, such as Galaxy at War and The Essential Atlas support the prior assertion that Spar was indeed Mand'alor, in spite of what appears to be Order 66's error. However, because of the time frame issue, it can be logically assumed that Spar was Mand'alor during the course of the Protectors' Clone Wars-era plotline but stepped down, keeping with History and the Atlas, before turning down Shysa's urgings to take the title again in the chronologically later Order 66. The only thing that brings the situation into question at all are the character-voiced claims of "no Mand'alor since Jango," which can be attributed to alternative viewpoints.

Mand'alor is a Mando'a word, and Mando'a has always been represented as italicized in-text as a means of distinguishing definitively non-Basic terms from other Star Wars-y words.

Contessa, Revanfan1, Gamiel and 5 others like this.
  8. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    That's right Mia, show those aruetiise how it's done! :p

Don't worry, everyone here are burc'yase! [:D]

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

But it is also a title and we don't italicize tsar or shogun, or do we and I have missed it?

10. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    It goes back to a language issue. Mandalore—the title of Mand'alor's Basic transliteration—is not italicized, as it is a Basic term. Mand'alor, however, as a Mando'a word, is italicized. Why is Mando'a written in italics? Original author's prerogative, that's all. A way to visually distinguish a non-Basic language in the text.

Contessa likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks for the info:)
    Have I understood it right that Mandalor is the Basic transliteration of Mand'alor?

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  12. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    You're welcome. And yes, Mandalore—with an "e" at the end—is indeed the Basic transliteration of Mand'alor. :)

Contessa likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I just re-read this and realised I am not certain that I understand, so are what you are saying that Spar was not referred to have been the mandalore in the RC books but they don't outright contradict it? [face_thinking]

14. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Okay, sorry, let me see if I can simplify things a bit and make it easier to understand. The facts of the text being presented in the Republic Commando novels—the late-war timeframe of Order 66, Spar's guilt over a past event, and Shysa's support of Spar—all support the established canon of Spar becoming Mand'alor and leading the Mandalorian Protectors during the mid-to-later part of the Clone Wars, only for them to be severely decimated at Norvall II, leading Spar to step down. The characters, on the other hand, present a different narrative, noting that there hasn't been a proper Mand'alor since Jango's death at the beginning of the Clone Wars. The characters in the RC novels, however, have always been portrayed as non-omniscient, human characters capable of having opinions and being wrong about universal facts based on faulty information or personal bias. Therefore, I was suggesting that the characters themselves are wrong, rather than the novel.

Contessa and DarthJenari like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Gracias, I think I get it now

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To my understanding the Rebels series will take place after that the Super Commandos was wiped out except for three, and one of them was Spar who then just left. So I say no.

17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Spar, Shysa, and Tobbi Dala would still all be around. And the rest of the Mandos would probably be enslaved by the Empire at this point–either that or in hiding, or working for them.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So, are you agreeing with me?

19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, basically.

20. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    What you're saying wouldn't change the fact Spar was Mando leader for a while. Around the time the series is taking place though he wouldn't be, as there's quite a bit of time where the Mandalorians have no leader until Shysha steps up.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Was it not that I said?

22. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Thought you were saying the opposite. Carry on then good sir!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    This is what I thought at first two, my post was basically just making sure you were saying what I thought you were saying, Gamiel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.