main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is Splinter of the Mind's Eye worth reading?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Grievousdude, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I was wondering if it was worth checking out Splinter of the Mind's Eye since I think it looks interesting but I have heard some people say it isn't very good. I know it was written before Empire came out and that it has some cannon issues but still I haven't read hardly anything between episode IV and V and I want to read more books in that time period. So what do you think? Is it worth reading?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked it. And its events do get referenced in other books- the canon issues if any, aren't major.

If you liked the Episode IV novelization, it's the same author.

3. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I might pick it up on my Kindle after I have finished some other SW books. Thanks for your opinion.

4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    If you're going to read it with canon uppermost in your mind, you may not like it. Plus that's unfair to the story and the author -- Alan Dean Foster wrote it in 1978, and he's not responsible for what was decided after that.

My advice would be to read it, try to imagine all you've seen is Episode IV, and just enjoy it without worrying about Luke and Leia being siblings, the saber fight in Episode V, or anything else.

If you can do that, I think there's a lot to enjoy. The wandrella is a great, scary monster; Luke and Leia's subterranean journey is cool, starting with the deeply creepy well they go down; and the underground fight is a nice bit of hair-raising chaos. I never thought the battle at the end lived up to the amazing McQuarrie cover art, but that's said more in praise of McQuarrie than in criticism of Foster.

Gorefiend and COMPNOR like this.
  5. exarkun20

exarkun20 Jedi Padawan

Dec 30, 2012
    Yes, I found it very entertaining.

6. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    I've enjoyed reading and re-reading Splinter of the Mind's Eye ever since I bought my copy through the Scholastic Book Club way back in 1980. It is the book I've read the most times (The original copy was in tatters by 1985, but I have the replacement copy near me even as I type this).

In addition to what Mr. Fry wrote, I would also point out that the character Halla is absolutely awesome in this book, especially in her conversations with Princess Leia. It is unfortunate that no other author ever utilized her in any other story, but there is always hope for the future.

Another worthwhile nugget you'll find in the book is one of the reasons as to why Princess Leia joined the Rebel Alliance.

And to those who who disagree and say it's a lousy book? You're right; accept my concession:

S A E N!

7. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    It is for historical value.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Two words: vertical bisection.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It's worth reading at least once.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like it a lot. Different era alright

11. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Read it. It's a solid read, that doesn't deal with events on a galactic scale. The entire thing takes place on this small backwater world, it feels very self contained and has a completely different feel from many other, later novels.