CT Is Star Wars Classic Trilogy Racist?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Alessandro Sanfilippo, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Master

star 1
    Only black guy, is a gambler/scoundrel - Talking about Lando
  2. Seagoat Force Ghost

star 4
    So is a white guy - Han

OMG THE CT MUST BE RACIST AGAINST CAUCASIAN PEOPLE
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Master

star 1
    But, there is a bunch of other white people who do good. There is only one black and he is a gambler/scoundrel. Mod edit: Not appropriate
    Last edited by Darth_Nub, Nov 28, 2013
  4. Seagoat Force Ghost

star 4
    And said black man only does his one evil act (IE betraying Han) in order to save his entire city, after which he helps rescue Han anyway, then leads the attack on the Death Star II and destroys it, thus saving the galaxy.

Sounds fairly heroic to me.
  5. TaradosGon Manager Emeritus

star 4
    No, I do not believe Lucas to be racist. ANH was entirely white. I think Tunisians served as extras for some shots, but most of them were masked. All the rebels and the the imperials were a bunch of white guys except Leia.

I don't know who's to blame for that, because films like Jaws are also completely devoid of non-whites just about. So I don't know if it was social prejudices or prejudices in the studio that kept minorities out of these films. But I don't think Lucas and Spielberg were to blame, especially when it came to extras. Some contemporary films like Alien featured African-American actors.

Lando was really the only prominent character introduced after ANH, so as far as including a black actor into a somewhat prominent role, it was either Lando or nothing. Other prominent characters were Jabba and Palpatine, and the prior would probably receive greater accusations of racism had Jabba been portrayed as a black human, and Palpatine likely had to be white to conform with the whole Nazi vibe Lucas was trying to establish with the Empire being entirely white males and having "stormtroopers."
    Last edited by TaradosGon, Nov 28, 2013
  6. kubricklynch Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  7. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    Oh, this'll end well. @Alessandro Sanfilippo - such a flippant attitude towards such an inflammatory topic is not appropriate for these forums, nor is dredging up stereotypes.

And that's my:

[IMG]
    Last edited by Darth_Nub, Nov 28, 2013
    Sith-Mullet and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.