main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Star Wars unfairly hated on?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Slave-2, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slave-2

Slave-2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    Having just been on the thread regarding the amount of money that EpII has made it got me thinking.
    Do you feel as I do that Star Wars has become (unfairly) a symbol of ridicule in the film world? It's just that I've noticed quite a backlash against the new trilogy from some quarters, heralding it as all that is wrong with current filmmaking,such as lack of character development and a plot that is only held together by its SFX.
    I personally think that the criticisms are a lot of rubbish but I'd be interested in hearing your opinions.

2. Slave-2

May 30, 2002
    Sorry for posting this topic twice. Can anyone delete one of them?

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    You can lock one of them yourself:
    Go up to your first post, click "Edit Message". From there, find the box that says "Lock Topic" or something like that. Change it to "Yes". Then, click the Edit button at the bottom of the screen, and the message will be locked.

4. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    What exactly do you mean by "unfairly"? what does fairness have to do with it? its a movie. if i hated it, and i say so, how am i being unfair?

And as far as the media goes, i hate to break it to you, but there are millions of people who agree with them.

If you think people are being brainwashed into hating these movies, i think the bo numbers would show it much better than these geek-boy message boards.

5. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    The media may hate it, but I am sort of revered among my friends for being a Star Wars fan. Lately I've been asked so much about the movies it's mind-boggling. :p

General public still seems to love it. :)

6. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    revered for being a SW fan? o-kay...

reminds of that guy who was PROUD to be a SW fan...

yer alllllright, kid!!

7. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    "Hated on"????

8. TheVioletBurns

May 27, 2002
    Notice this is why I inserted a :p after the end of my sentence.

My point is, lots of people are getting interested in it (at least those folks in my neighborhood - I live in SoCal) and those who have now finally seen it (after having hesitated so long because of the bad media) are loving it. I'm getting asked a LOT about it, because people know how much of a fan I am.

It's not geeky to like Star Wars where I live. My school has had like 5 specials on our weekly news show about AOTC. ;)

9. Slave-2

May 30, 2002
    I agree TheVioletBurns that the general public do still seem to love it, and I to am the encyclopedia on all things SW amongst my friends :).
    It's just that I'm a little sick and tired of all the critcs who loved th OT hating on the PT. Yes maybe TPM was'nt all it was hyped up to be but I think that EpI and EpII are great movies! :cool:

10. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    You can't trust the media-- they just say things to sell stories. They often times not only report the news, but CREATE news as well. By bashing SW, they hope to do better financially. Because if SW is good, that's what everybody expects. If it's not, or at least reported as not, then that will in a way "shock" people. Shocking news is what the media likes.

It's like before Sept. 11th, the media was slanted to the left. Now, they are moving to the right. Why? because they think that by doing so it will draw more people in. Also because Fox news has been doing so well and they are slightly slanted to the right.

11. Slave-2

May 30, 2002
    And just before anyone gets the chance to make a geek slur I'm not an uber-fan either.
    I know where SW stops and reality begins!

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    There is absolutely no question that SW gets knocked around by the media harder than any other series.
    There's this clique of critics, columnists etc. who for some reason despise SW and do everything they can to knock it every chance they get.

It really ticks me off.
    I'm not saying they have to like SW but you don't see them blasting HP, LOTR, Star Trek or anything else.

The intensity of their hate is something I can only ascribe to jealousy. SW has been king of the hill for so long, I guess you can't avoid a hater faction.

13. Slave-2

May 30, 2002
    Too true Kiki-Gonn. Most of these columnists could only dream of coming up with something that has a fraction of the imagination of GL's epic!

14. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    [Spock]It is easier to destroy than to create.[/Spock]

15. TheVioletBurns

May 27, 2002
    It really is funny. Instead of just reviewing the movie with a 'I didn't care and I didn't like it, no go' attitude, like it is for most other movies, Star Wars is vehemently slammed. I don't get it; why hate a movie so much? It's a bit obvious to me there's a bias.

16. Darth-Solo

Darth-Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    I agree about some of the critics. Star Wars seems a little too fast for them to comprehend. Movies like My Left Foot and Sense and Sensibility are much better cinematic achievements according to a lot of them. There are also Star Wars fans that go a little overboard sometimes. Look at all of the Spiderman bashing.

17. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    If there was ever any doubt in my mind of the media bias against SW, it was swept away when I saw newspaper editorials slamming AOTC and Lucas and "mindless fans who don't know what a good movie is." Editorials? About a movie?

18. Slave-2

May 30, 2002
    It's so true is'nt it!? I was quite prepared to read a lot of crappy reviews for this film as it came out due to the backlash that was caused by TPM. It was set up for a fall critically before it even came out due to the presumptions of the critics who reviewed TPM.

19. TheVioletBurns

May 27, 2002
    LOL. Exactly, Shelley.

20. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    My local critic finds a way to slam SW with almost every review he writes. Like this morning he wrote something to the effect of "MR's action sequences are much better edited than AOTC's, and they revolve around the story, rather than having the story revolve around the action sequences." I was stunned. Why did this guy have to bring AOTC into his review?

21. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Yes, most definitely.

I read a review a couple of weeks ago that said the same old thing. Yep, bad romance, wooden dialogue, no Han Solo, etc for about a paragraph. And then the critic tried to come up with something new.

He discussed the physiology of the acklay and tried to explain how a large, crablike creature is scientifically impossible. No **** sherlock! And he rambled on about it for the whole page! I thought critics were supposed to review films, rather than display jealousy and hatred for a successful series.

22. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    What does "hated on" mean?

RB

23. Slave-2

May 30, 2002
    It's means to be put down.

24. TheVioletBurns

May 27, 2002
    SWfan2002 - somebody I know online said that exact same thing today. Ahhh, it truly is amazing.

25. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Do any of you feel even slightly that maybe the PT brings it on itself?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.