main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Star Wars unfairly hated on?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Slave-2, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Surely, Mardigan. The prequels are vastly different from the originals and aren't as 'personal'. Even Lucas said they were never going to be as widely accepted as the originals. The PT does bring it on itself, simply by its nature. I, however, don't attribute that to bad filmmaking. You may; so be it.

2. Slave-2

Slave-2 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    I don't think that the PT brings it on itself. OK maybe TPM did with all the hype but there was a slow build up to AOTC and I think that that worked in it's favour. SW is SW and it doesn't pretend to be a life changing piece of cinema. It's just a shame the critics don't see it that way.

3. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    It's means to be put down.

No... it means BAD GRAMMAR! Just like putting "It's" when you mean "It."

Why not just say "Is Star Wars unfairly put down?" Or "Is Star Wars unfairly hated?"

Sigh...

RB

4. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Ive always thought if TPM wasnt a Star Wars film it wouldnt have got anywhere near as bad a reaction. In England, the most hated soccer team is Man Utd, why? Because they are the most successful, and people want them to slip up and fail. Its the same with anything, people will embrace something, then knock it once its reached a certain level.

5. Slave-2

May 30, 2002
    Because it's just the way people talk RB.
    But I guess you don't hear much of that talk in the old folk's home 8-}!

6. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    If you think people are being brainwashed into hating these movies, i think the bo numbers would show it much better than these geek-boy message boards

You must be aware that you are a part of these "geek-boy" mesage boards.

7. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    SW is SW and it doesn't pretend to be a life changing piece of cinema. It's just a shame the critics don't see it that way.

Unfortuantely it has the potential to be that though. AOTC was close. Hopefully Ep3 will change my opinion as a whole.

8. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Yes, and I thought you just started an entire topic on why box office numbers don't matter, dahveed? ;)

9. Slave-2

May 30, 2002
    I guess for the SW fans the films are life changing films and they have inspired a lot of people to go into filmmaking. I just meanthat A lot of critics look at the SW films the wrong way and don't enjoy them for the fun spectacle they are.
    And I actually think that a lot of the critics are above themselves and believe that their earthshattering review has the power to make or break a movie. I usually go to a movie and judge for myself (9 out of 10 times the critics reviews are wrong - AOTC being a case in point!).

P.S. EpIII is going to be epic!

10. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Star Wars is only attacked because it's a big target and people resent the fact that the films have been popular for so many years. After 2005, when all they hype dies down, we might finally see some objective opinions about the prequels.

11. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Because it's just the way people talk RB.
    But I guess you don't hear much of that talk in the old folk's home

Ignorant people talk that way. Unintelligent people talk that way. Clueless people talk that way. People with no future talk that way. Even moronic people talk that way.

Old folks home (pssst.. it is FOLKS not FOLK's)? LOL! Funny... at least I can afford my own and don't need the state to support me and my illiteracy problem later in life. Hint. :D

RB

12. Darth_SMITTIUS

Darth_SMITTIUS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    This thread has reaffirmed my faith in humanity! Yes, SW is the People's epic that defines our society, so it is reassuring to hear that REAL PEOPLE and not hollywood critics on the payroll of the trade federation (oops, I mean news companies, lol) enjoy it :). From what I have read in the news, news companies are really hurting themselves with their bad reviews of SW. There comments are so greedy and ham fisted that I gag every time I read them.

I am personally offended at the fact that most of these reviewers go on to attack not only the movie but George Lucas (an established creative genious) and the fans as well! "An idiot and his eight bucks will soon part" Excuse me, mr. critic, but I am no idiot. I believe my lawyers should have something to say about that. I believe that people can see how grasping the media has become, and I am sure that the media has lost a lot of credibility ( I for one no longer listen to the critics. I absolutely loved TPM and watch it on DVD whenever I get the chance. I had NO IDEA that the critics hated it as much as they do until I came on these forums!).

A good example: After I saw AOTC for the first time, I came home and my dad wanted to talk to me about it. I was afraid for a minute that he had bought in to the critics. He said "Was it bad and wooden and lame" (well, that's the gist of it, lol). I told him no, and that there must be some sort of media conspiracy going on. He just looked at me like I had been born only a second ago and said "Of course there is! Everybody in the news hates Lucas! Lord forbid someone show a little creativity these days."

I also talked to an avid moviegoer who didn't like the movie, and this affirmed my faith in humanity as well. He said "Oh, I didn't think it was that good. George just had to make that one to tell his story." I just couldn't believe how fair and human his response was! He didn't attack the fans OR Lucas, he merely stated that he didn't particularly care for this one movie. See, it CAN be done without breaking too many hearts!

I guess the bottom line is that no matter what is said, SW will still be around long after people forget how to spell CNN, FOX, and NBC. Now, where do I line up for episode 3 ( I am SO dressing up as darth vader for that one! Maybe I'll learn how to keep my posts down to a readable length as well :))

13. hanshootsfirst

hanshootsfirst Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2001
    You guys should go to rottentomatoes.com. It's really strange how there is no conscensus on AOTC. Usually, all the critics will harp on one or two of the same things and you can tell if a movie will be worth seeing. But with AOTC, (which is currently tracking at 64%, a "fresh" as opposed to "rotten" rating) while there are more positive reviews than negative reviews, the negative ones are soooo negative that it does seem like SW gets an unfair shake.

14. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Ignorant people talk that way. Unintelligent people talk that way. Clueless people talk that way. People with no future talk that way. Even moronic people talk that way.

I cant tell if your being serious or joking, but if your serious you need to relax.

15. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    quote:

<Ive always thought if TPM wasnt a Star Wars film it wouldnt have got anywhere near as bad a reaction.>

Youre right. It wouldve been ridiculed for a couple seconds and then completely ignored, ala Battlefield: Earth.

Okay, some of the CGI wouldve probably impressed a few people.

16. Fitten trim

Fitten trim Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    The question is the PT unfairly hated.
    The answer is no.

Is the PT unfairly loved?
    No.

The PT had the weight of having to live up to the incredibly high standards that the OT set. Is that fair? I say yes.

Every other sci-fi/adventure/action/blockbuster movie has been held up to ANH and ESB since they were released, just as the PT is now.

17. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Now dhaveed, that's not fair. Low blow. If anything it would have been looked at like the Mummy 1 (I actually thought the Mummy Returns was really good).

18. Darth_SMITTIUS

Jun 16, 2002
    One more thing while I'm on a role and all riled up. Mass communication capabilities of today excacerbate (sp?) the situation. Everyone gets their say on the net, and not everyone needs their say heard. And anyhoo, why do we even need critics anymore with today's focus on word of mouth (forums and such). Bottom line, if mr. critic didn't like the movie, he sure as hell doesn't have to go see it! I liked it, and I will continue to enjoy SW and all other great films (I just finished putting my new AOTC posters in my room!). I have no desire to be called an idiot by joe blow critic for enjoying a good film. Anyway, my opinion counts just as much as any critic's opinion. That's the important thing to remember. With epics like SW, the people are the main critics and WE are the people!

19. Darth-Solo

Darth-Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    Well said Darth_Smittius.

20. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Is Star Wars unfairly hated on?

Definitely...especially by the media [face_plain]

21. Darth_SMITTIUS

Jun 16, 2002
    I don't know why we even care what critics or others think. It must just be human nature. I have read a lot of negative viewer comments too, but most of those are just offensive (stupid fans, stupid lucas, stupid star wars, must....watch...fox...news...). But remember, SW wouldn't be doing so well in the BO if it was a bad movie. And don't give me this "its just because its Star Wars". Well, what does that tell me? That people obviously like Star Wars. complaints like that are really the proverbial square peg trying to fit into the round hole.

22. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Careful there Darth_SMITTIUS...I watch and enjoy Foxnews...

23. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I can remember last winter the media was constantly going on and on about how HP was "magic" at the box office, etc. AOTC is going to come pretty close to HP and it is a SEQUEL. In fact, it's a fifth film in an old franchise. You never hear that from the media though.

I bet that this winter the media will be talking about HP2 being "magic" at the box office again, and I don't think it'll gross anywhere near what AOTC will end up at.

24. Darth_SMITTIUS

Jun 16, 2002
    Don't get me wrong about fox, I just heard that somewhere and thought it was funny. But seriously, O'reilly is the BOMB. I loved it when he took on the professor guy who thought there was racism in AOTC (Professor: Well, I don't know what he is, he just looks sort of third worldy, and thats racist) But alas, that is for another thread.

That does bring up something interesting though. I was watching some news channel (don't remember which, they all seem the same to me now) and they were talking about the success of AOTC. It showed a HUGE line for the movie, and they had some guy up there saying that AOTC was somehow a bomb at the BO. The lady news anchor said "Wow! There sure are a lot of folks there!" and the reporter looks dumbfounded for a second as if he knows his lame little spin has been undermined. He then says "Yeah, uh, (regaining his self esteem) but they're not really THAT long (wry smile)".

It was just so obvious how low the media is willing to sink to undermine this movie, but I praise the lady news anchor for showing me that not everyone alive today is cynical, jaded, and unpleasable. Its really sad to see 2 minutes of tv time wasted like that. They could have spent that time telling me about the Martha Stewart law trouble, ROFL.

25. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    But seriously, O'reilly is the BOMB. I loved it when he took on the professor guy who thought there was racism in AOTC (Professor: Well, I don't know what he is, he just looks sort of third worldy, and thats racist) But alas, that is for another thread.

Yeah O'Reilly rules. I saw that interview, it was hilarious! That guy just made a fool out of himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.