main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Star Wars Young Jedi over?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by DamastaLukeSkywalker, Apr 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamastaLukeSkywalker

DamastaLukeSkywalker Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2001
    Hello. A friend of mine told me that he talked to a card dealer in his relatives area and he said that Decipher has lost the right to sell the Young Jedi Cards now. Is that true? Are the Star Wars cards done? I really hope not. I ask because the new card set is being handled by Wizards. So what's going on? I would appreciate any help.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Decipher lost the license to create Star Wars products at the end of December. Don't despair, however, because there is a plan to create "virtual YJ" cards, much the same as the virtual SWCGG cards.

3. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    In a nutshell, yes. Decipher has lost the license, Wizards now owns the license. Wizards has released a new game this week completely incompatible with the old games. Decipher can no longer produce or sell the older cards.

Sorry.

4. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    You can find out more about the new game at the TFN SWTCG page.
    There has been a lot of contraversy about this move and this new game, but if you ask me it is a great game. Wizards site has a demo of the game online as well so you can sorta try it out for yourself.

5. PloKeahey

PloKeahey Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2002
    All of the above is true, but YJ is not over... nor dead...

At least I hope not :) I'm running a tournament this weekend in North Alabama. I hope to get a turnout, but I'm competing against the Decktech Pro tournament in Atlanta.

They're offering cash... I'm offering cards and an exclusive spoiler for a YJ Virtual card.

6. DamastaLukeSkywalker

Sep 4, 2001
    Thanks for the help. Now just two questions.

1.What does Virtual Young Jedi mean? You can play it over the internet? I don't get it.

and

2.Where is that TCG demo? I can't find it anywhere.

7. Bubba_the_Genius

Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    2. The demo (requires Shockwave) is here.

Last time I tried it, it was a bit flaky. Hopefully, they've full debugged the demo by now.

8. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    "Virtual Young Jedi" refers to new game text for existing cards. The idea is older cards are not used as much because they become obsoleted by newer cards and strategies; "virtual cards" is a way to give those older cards an upgrade and make them useful again.

Because they can not use images from the movies, "virtual cards" are simply overlays; you print them out and place them over the game text boxes on current cards using card sleeves.

The Player's Committee successfully released a premiere set of virtual cards for SW:CCG some time back; you can get more info on Game Player's Network (www.gameplayersnetwork.com).

9. DamastaLukeSkywalker

Sep 4, 2001
    Thanks. Has this happened yet? But they are not allowed in tourniments correct? Do you pay for them? "Any hep here would be hot."

10. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Virtual Young Jedi will be out "soon". (They've been saying that for a few weeks now, though.) They will be free, and they WILL be tournament legal, just like SW:CCG's Virtual Set #1.

11. DamastaLukeSkywalker

Sep 4, 2001
    Wow thanks! That is so kewl! Thanks a lot. Now I just wish there were some tournies around here. Nothing in my area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.