main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Is surviving sub freezing temperatures really 1/4 as dangerous as asteroid fields?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by NotSoScruffyLooking, Jan 25, 2016.

1. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    C-3PO says the odds of Han and Luke surviving on Hoth are 600 something to one and navigating an asteroid field as 3000 something to one. Shouldn't surviving Hoth be a little less likely?

2. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Han brought a whole pre-fab shelter with him, and had a Tauntaun and thick winter gear. The Falcon's shields had none of those advantages.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  3. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    Never tell me the odds.

4. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005

I don't think so. The asteroids are randomly moving in different directions and any one of them could pulverize the ship. In one scene we see an asteroid severely damaging a Star Destroyer.

If you can find a cave and build a fire you might be able to survive a horrible blizzard like that (or do what Han did).

5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Plus, on Hoth, you just have to stick it out for a few hours till daylight, and then rescue will be on its way.

In an asteroid field, the random asteroid orbits and directions can kill you; the vacuum of space, should your ship get holed, can kill you; if you sustain damage to your engines, or you survive a crash-landing onto an asteroid, no-one is coming to rescue you.

6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Hmm...wait a minute!

THREEPIO Artoo says the chances of survival
    are seven hundred seventy-five...
    to one.

THREEPIO Sir, the possibility of successfully
    navigating an asteroid field is
    approximately three thousand, seven
    hundred and twenty to one.

THREEPIO Sir, the odds of surviving a
    direct assault on an Imperial
    Star Destroyer...

The first statement is a translation of Artoo's calculations. Why didn't Threepio make that calculation in the first place as he does so later on without Artoo being present.

Is it possible that Threepio merely presents guesswork, hoping to discourage Solo from his suicidal maneuvers, which is actually compliant with the "Three Laws of Robotics"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

Interestingly, "lying" to accomplish the integrity of these 3 laws is not outruled and IIRC, Lucas believed in these rules when he wrote Star Wars.

Other than that it's obvious that Threepio prefers capture by the Empire rather than being killed by Solo's maneuvers:

THREEPIO I really don't see how that is
    going to help. Surrender is a
    perfectly acceptable alternative
    in extreme circumstances. The
    Empire may be gracious enough...

7. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    You've got the numbers switched around.

600 to 1
    600= Them dying
    1= Them surviving

3,721 to one
    3,721= Them dying
    1= Them surviving

Surviving the frigid Hoth wilderness is infinitely easier than trying to survive in an asteroid field. As noted before, you can build a basic shelter and feed yourself on Hoth. In an asteroid field? Where you can't get off your ship under any reasons, and there's nothing growing on the asteroid that could even feasibly be edible? You're doomed once your ship's supply of food runs out. That is assuming an asteroid that was big enough to completely obliterate your ship on impact doesn't come your way...

8. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I still doubt that Threepio's "own" calculations were correct.

The survival figure regarding Hoth was probably an assumption about surviving one Hoth night (however long or short that might be).

The asteroid field figure is obviously guesswork. An exact prediction would probably require to know
    • how long they'd fly inside that asteroid field and
    • how far they'd fly inside
    With Threepio I'd say he was probably presenting the worst figures imaginable.

DARTHLINK likes this.
  9. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Yep, sounds like something entirely within his character. Project the worst possible scenario and assume it's the reality. :D That's our droid.

10. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I dont know. Those asteroids were cutting very close to the Falcon PLUS they were going fast trying to evade the TIE's so it was dangerous.

11. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    If C-3PO's calculations were just guesswork, then I assume (because I doubt we have any way of knowing) that the chances of survival in an asteroid field are MUCH, MUCH smaller than those on an ice planet. Far smaller than a just one fourth.