main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Is Tarkin the "Darth Maul" of the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Feb 7, 2015.

1. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Dooku has more in Common with Tarkin than Maul does, obviously. I'm making the analogy that they were both killed off prematurely. (Because lucas was making things up as he went.) The Emperor in ROTJ is so evil because Tarkin was killed off earlier and they needed a nastier villain. Originally in the ANH novel it states that Palpatine is just a figure-head for Tarkin and the governors. A rematch with maul in ROTS would have carried far more weight than grevious. (They could even keep the same grevious look for a horribly injured cyborg maul, Dooku could of still existed as well.) I just think that replacing Grevious with the robo maul we saw in TCW would have helped with the "Too many villian syndrome" the PT suffers from. I like the way the saga turned out, this is more of a "what if Lucas wrote it this way?" type of thing.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Not really. Tarkin died because in the kind of story tradition Episode IV was, the bad guy dies. Vader was definitely NOT dead - but letting all the 'main' baddies escape death and only the generic faceless goons die on board the Death Star would have been really disappointing I think. His own hubris in insisting the DS was invincible when even Vader was concerned enough to get involved in the defence was why he died. Any parallel/reflection of Maul is coincidental at best.

3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

...and that's why Grievous exists to complete the picture, to be the "more of a machine than a creature". Interesting symbolism you have there.

4. Darth Blade

Darth Blade Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2014
    I think most in this post are reading too much in the title that the OP made. All the OP was asking as if Tarkin was killed off too early in the OT like so many have said about Maul in the PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  5. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    In a way they died too early ? Yeah, Tarkin is Maul of the OT.

6. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    Yeah, Tarkin was killed off too early, this is why I've come to like the stuff that takes in between the trilogies a lot, because there is great potential to expand upon Tarkin's character, aka whenever Tarkin shows up in the material, I tend to "fangirl".

7. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Exactly that's why the EU was so cool. It would expand on the characters from the movies when the films could not.

mes520, Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I do feel Tarkin, if he survived, would have been a interesting villain for the hero's to face. He would still likely have control of Darth Vader, and likely prove to be a true challenge to the hero's as he's not even force sensitive. So yes, in a sense he is the Maul of the OT.