main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Technology & Spiritually one & the same in the SW saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by JediNdaCity, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediNdaCity

JediNdaCity Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I just thought of something the other day having another one of my random Star Wars thoughts. Through the films, the digital hologram is used as a key plot device to deliver information and move our characters from one place to another. When a hologram pops up, you can bet some action awaits in the next sequence. Then when you look at the force ghost sequences with Obi Wan in the OT, they kinda serve the same function. To deliver information and move our hero to the next stage. This theory doesn't really apply to the Sith so much, but the hologram device works this way in scenes with them also.
    Could Lucas, in a sublime way, be telling us that technology & spiritually can function equally the same way?

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Throughout the saga what we see is the corruption of technology with the Death Star being the prime example. It is ultimately the spirit(the Force) that triumphs over this corruption.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree with VLM here. I think it's shown that, while technology allows you to do certain things, it is corrupt and the real, pure power in life comes from the spiritual.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    " Throughout the saga what we see is the corruption of technology with the Death Star being the prime example "

I always thought the Deathstar was a " technological terror " as described in ANH, but dont miss the God-complex allegory of a mobile moon that can enter a star system and destroy its planets. Its made capable by technology but its based on spiritual corruption, of which in an allegorical sense, its probably the most powerful in any art medium. The Deathstar truly shows the depravity and megalomania of the Emporer and makes him one of the most, if not THE most unredeemable and unsympathetic villians in movie history. He's only physically visible for about eight minutes in the entire OT but we know immediately that he is the true villian when we first see him, and he is spiritually corrupted. The Deathstar represents his spiritual corruption as equally as its supposed to represent a man-made(or whatever) doomsday weapon.

5. JediNdaCity

JediNdaCity Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Yes, I agree with all your views, but what I was getting at was is GL from a plot structure standpoint and visually showing us that technology and spiritually can work equally and serve the same functions, specifically in use of the hologram Because when we see those, they are at key points in the films and deliver vital info. Almost like spirit forms.

6. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I never thought of the holograms that way. Most impressive point you make.

7. Kyle-Katarn_wannabe

Kyle-Katarn_wannabe Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2004
    I've always seen the lightsabers as a great example of the merge between technology and the force. they're simple technological devices, but they are so central and important to the jedi that they become part of the jedi essence. I don't think star wars is about technology being corrupt (though I think lord of the rings is) on the contrary technology is shown as the ultimate tool that can be used for good or evil.
    I'm not sure if this is connected but I actually really liked the whole midichlorian thing. It made star wars more science fiction and less fantasy which is always a good thing

8. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Vader was right in what he said in that discission aboard the Death Star I.

BUT - he himself was "corrupted" by technology - like Grievous, the Cyborg. Darth Vader himself relied on technology for living - but what kind of life !

He was finally redeemed as he gave in and allowed himself to die - in front of Luke. At this very moment, he decided to let the technology go, and regain his former humanity. He wanted to see Luke "with his own eyes".

At this point, when he was himself again, and decided to let his fear of dying - that had let him used this technology for so long - go, then, he was free.

9. CrazySaber

CrazySaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2004
    That's a very good observation, JediNdaCity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.