main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is TFA the beginning of a "Sequel Saga"?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Wrenegade, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    So at this point, I have seen TFA six times, with a seventh and final time planned soon. I really like the film, but as some have pointed out, there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between I-VI and this film. For example, the visual style is different, and the camera work is different than most of I-VI. Also, while in I-VI, nothing really important to the main narrative happens between films, many important things have happened between ROTJ and TFA. Finally, I-VI really flows like one big movie, and the ending of ROTJ feels like, well, an ending. So I was thinking, how could all of this be so, but still be the same "saga".

I propose the idea that I-VI is still one saga, and that TFA is the beginning of a new saga, a "Sequel Saga" if you will. This would justify all that I mentioned above, and also allow for the 6-part movie/saga that George Lucas created to remain intact. This doesn't make TFA a bad movie, like I said, I really like it. But perhaps it should be considered the beginning of a new saga that is in the same continuity/canon as the original saga.

I'm not entirely sure about this idea, mind you, and would like to hear other people's thoughts.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm sure Disney has a vision for Star Wars that far exceeds anything we can imagine at this point. They did not buy this monster only to let it out every so often. I see Star Wars going the way of Star Trek, alternating between films and television series, books and comics, over many decades, generally in keeping with the main story line but taking place in different eras and whatnot. Perhaps way down the line, when we're all dead and gone, even re-makes of the originals, the way that has already been done with Star Trek.

And TFA is the launching point for all that, and in time the OT and PT will be considered different eras among many eras of Star Wars production.

3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Agree with all of that except the eventual remake; Star Wars will never be remade, the nature of the universe makes the idea redundant

Bowen, EHT, Dameron and 2 others like this.
  4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm sure they'll remake Star Wars at some point because I'm not sure Disney see Star Wars beyond Vader, stormtroopers, X-wings or lightsabres (which I understand). I'm sure they'll be lots of things in between, but they'll ultimately want to return to the first iteration of the 'Vader and his son' story, which for me is the purest and best form of Star Wars.

Hernalt likes this.
  5. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    The very nature of TFA really points away from that. If the anthology films perform as well as everyone is expecting, there is no reason to remake anything, rather, continue making new stories within the universe. Clearly, it sells.

Bowen, EHT, DaddlerTheDalek and 4 others like this.
  6. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    The Original Trilogy will never be rebooted.

I'm almost positive that part of George Lucas deal with Disney made it certain that the prequels will never be rebooted either.

ObiWanKnowsMe, Bowen, EHT and 5 others like this.
  7. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't see that at all. It seems to me that TFA, and the standalone films we know about, absolutely revolve around OT based characters, situations and existing iconography.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'll believe they'll remake ANH when somebody remakes Citizen Kane. That's how sacred I consider ANH, and I think Disney is aware of it's status. I like to think that they're not stupid enough to mess with it's legacy with a hokey remake.

ObiWanKnowsMe, jaqen, EHT and 7 others like this.
  9. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    I was 3 when the first movie came out and 9 when the Original trilogy wrapped up.
    I remember all the action figures and toys I had so even then Star Wars was a money making racket.
    However the films were really good.

Prequels I was a 25 for the first one and despite all the flack these films get I like how original they were.

Star Wars without Lucas we be even more about money grabbing but much less original.
    Just look at Episode 8 moved to December to rake in the Christmas money.

The Force Awakens I did like it but I still think Disney will ruin Star Wars.

X-wings lightsabres stormtroopers and Vader yes that is all I think Disney can see.
    For the most part I really enjoyed the prequels and I though the bashing went way to far.

I am not bashing here I just don't think Disney has any creative plans at all big Hollywood never does.

10. McLaren

McLaren Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 1, 2002
    Nah, they'll do the same thing they did to Sleeping Beauty with that Maleficent movie - turn Vader into a nurturing father figure looking out for Luke from afar! :p

11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think anything is untouchable if they see money in it. I'm sure we'll get Indiana Jones remakes, even if they don't actually call it Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I think it''ll largely depend on how well the new films continue to do. If they stay very successful, I doubt Disney will worry about reboots or remakes. If profits start to slide, then they might start getting desperate.

13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

I completely agree. I hope, and at this point think, that Disney has a good feeling for the status of the original films and is looking to build on this, rather than try to replace or update what's there. I hope that this continues to be the case.

Dagobahsystem, JediLight and AmySolo like this.
  14. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    Total Recall Robocop Point Break Man of Steal A nightmare of Elm Street Poltergeist I could go on but Hollywood is in the business of recycling and adding nothing.
    Star Wars under Lucas was independent of the Hollywood system.

Dagobahsystem, Hernalt and McLaren like this.
  15. Homergreg

Homergreg Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 31, 2015

I don't know. I'm envisioning a trilogy, but the next installment will have two timelines, one to tell the story leading up to episode 7, and one leading away from it, with each story line reflecting the events of the other. Not exactly The Godfather part II, but along the same idea. That would make having people who died in the last episode appearing in the next one make sense.

After the trilogy, I'm guessing there could be more, but I don't know if it will continue this story directly or move to a new time. You never know.

16. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    I totally agree with you,and its also understandable from a financial standpoint,I am actually a bit torn when it comes to this,there is a part of me that secretly kind of wishes there would be no more films or at least that they could slow down the production to Lucas levels,as I am kind of worried it will start to become less and less special and then descend to being generic Star Wars movies pumped out for the yearly Disney stock price inflation and Quantitative Easing(aka printing money),then in 10 or so years they decline in quality because of a paradigm shift in demographics making it less profitable.

That is but a worst case scenario and makes me throw up in my mouth a little:p

It seems so far they are hiring the people that have the most appreciation for it,I did initially become a little artificially biased against TFA because I exposed myself to so much hype and spoilers I got sick of SW for a few months..which was scary for a kid that have grown up with it in a religious fashion from early childhood,not doing that for this next one.

As for tone,I do feel there is a slight disconnect between the three trilogies,but nothing insurmountable I love watching them all ,TFA feels a bit new surprise surprise ,but grows on me all the time and it doesn't hurt that its so well made.

ObiWanKnowsMe, Hernalt and Darth PJ like this.
  17. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Well sure... if every new film breaks box office records, but I suspect that isn't a sustainable model. Even on these boards we see many people preferring TFA over ANH (madness IMO)... and I'd imagine that in a few years (sooner rather than later), that Disney will start playing with the idea of remaking them (even if it's like an alternate timeline scenario) and audiences/fans will start to warm to the idea of new iterations of the 'classics' where we get Vader, Obi-Wan, Luke and Leia back on screen again, and in their prime...

18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope your wrong PJ.

19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think the thing here is that we've all have those 6 movies rattling around in our heads for over a decade. They are all fused together into this mental blob of Star Wars.

And now this new movie wants to squeeze in there. A new kid wants to be part of the gang. It wants equal status on Wookiepedia. It wants bad EU novels to be written about its background characters.

It'll take a while for TFA to get that degree of acceptance.

Having said that, I think Kasdan and JJ tried really really hard to fit the movie into the Grand Saga, to the point of getting criticism for being too much of a nostalgia trip.

OldTimeFan likes this.
  20. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    There is already a name for the TFA and the next two movies Sequel Trilogy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy). It's shortened to ST frequently here.

21. McLaren

McLaren Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 1, 2002
    Unfortunately, he probably isn't. Look at the plans for Star Wars attractions at Disneyland and World. The path they are on seems quite clear: the cultural obliteration of the original saga. Instead of redoing those movies, they could very well become like many other Disney "classics" that are locked away in a vault never to see the light of day.

Corporate Disney has long chaffed against the fact that they can't "redo" their classics (e.g. Dumbo) because of the public uproar such action would cause. Star Wars is a potentially clean slate. As I put in another thread, probably the most accurate analogy of how Disney views Star Wars is how Microsoft views Windows. Once the new release is out, all previous releases have an end of support date.

Hernalt and Binary_Sunset like this.
  22. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    The Force Awakens is a fun movie to watch lets get that right out of the way I am not bashing.

However the first order feels like a cheat we never got to see what the Galaxy was like without the Empire.
    The New Death Star getting a visit from the Millennium falcon the bad guys should have known that was the end right then.:D
    It seems like nothing that happened in Return of the Jedi mattered in any way.

Sith defeated no problem the Knights of Ren.
    Empire defeated no problem the First Order.
    Freedom restored to the galaxy no problem New Republic wiped out in one quick scene.

Now like I said I am not basing and it was a fun Movie but what is coming down the road?
    Darth Vaders clone another Death Star even bigger a new even more cool red lightsaber.

[​IMG]

ObiWanKnowsMe and Darth PJ like this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I would argue that the path they're on is more a fetishization of the OT. Perhaps, at the expense of broadening the scope of the GFFA. It's too early to tell, but so far they're leaning very heavily on that era and it's iconography. My hope is that with Ep. VIII we start to see expansion again, in terms of story, design, mythology, etc.

24. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    Look at the attack on the new death star it was all X-wings even the original had Y-wings and Return of the Jedi had loads of different things in the battle.
    Revenge of the Sith space battle had loads of new stuff.

25. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The thing is, ANH isn't even the most interesting film of the saga; it's a simple story told in a fantastic setting. There are no shortage of ways of telling simple stories in this setting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.