main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is TFA the beginning of a "Sequel Saga"?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Wrenegade, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    There simply isn't the need to remake the originals. There never will be. The Star Wars universe itself provides sufficient background for new stories to take place. If anything, I expect Disney to expand beyond the mainline trilogies more and more. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me to see a trilogy set in the Old Republic or into the distant future. Simply rehashing the OT; a set of films which are still well-received today is a surefire way to kill interest in the franchise and I can't for the life of me see Disney doing that. Maybe in forty years when OT fans are on shuffling off from this mortal coil but certainly not before that. Disney played it safe with the TFA as they were testing the waters but I don't think we'll see another Death Star anytime soon.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Blueandwhite

If you had something that you already have made billions of dollars with and could easily make more billions of dollars by simply re-doing it, would you not do that? Plain and simple.

Darth PJ likes this.
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    But there is no reason it'd make a Billion dollars. The idea generates universal hate. If it is ever done, it won't be in the foreseeable future.

4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    GregMcP

I know. I said that. It won't be anything any of us will see. But it will happen, guaranteed. The mere initial release of each film alone will gain enough profit for them to do decide to do it. Again though, it's nothing we will ever see in our lifetime.

5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Agreed, they will never be given the remake treatment.

We may someday get the original cut back... I think if Disney plans to get a cut of the original films (before the special edition treatment etc), they may even re-release those original versions back in theater before they go to blu ray.

jaqen and Rellum Kire like this.
  6. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I feel like we don't yet know how this sequel trilogy will hinge onto the ones before. The ROTJ -> TFA connection is in many ways looser than the ROTS -> ANH connection. Looking at those two pairs of movies, it's really weird in a way that we have a spinoff movie between the pair that pointedly sets up hard, direct connections like the droids being on the Tantive, and nothing between the pair that has 12 parsecs of twists and turns separating it with so little that links up directly. But at the same time, TFA is approximately a billion times more concerned with the things of the OT, compared to ANH ignoring vast swaths of PT content. It's going to be an unusual story structure for sure, but I think it's too early to say ROTJ -> TFA is going to be a big switch to a new saga.

Yes. You can do "Peter Parker gets bitten by a radioactive spider" as many different times times and as many different ways as you want, but for good or ill, "Luke Skywalker destroys the Death Star" will only ever happen one time, one way.

AmySolo likes this.
  7. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    This does seem inevitable from a financial standpoint,also Star Wars is now in the Hollywood system as opposed to the pinnacle of Independent film making,people tend to be more pragmatic about artistic integrity when one are in that system.

Lucas let Disney acquire LFL because he felt an obligation to his employees,a noble notion in its way and say what you want of him...but he had tons of artistic integrity ,the acquisition marked a significant paradigm shift for LFL,where cash will trump everything as opposed to uncle George footing the bill and worrying about said bill later in many cases,the silver lining being that the current Execs of Disney are smart enough to guard the asset that is LFL and the SW license ..

But no one can tell the future,and if the asset will be as profitable then,and execs change fairly often in public companies...there can suddenly be a palace coup where the new execs have a disregard for it for example and only see $$$ signs,never mind the integrity.

These are my worries about a property I love like a family member when i try to think analytically about it.

Darth PJ and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  8. SkooterNB

SkooterNB Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    There is always the opportunity to revisit the characters in the Anthology films. No need to remake the classics, just give us more stories. And yes, someone mentioned earlier about GL probably having a clause that they never be remade. I would assume that is definitely the case, at least for a specific time period likely in the crazy numbers i.e. 100 years.

DaddlerTheDalek and AmySolo like this.
  9. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

You're entitled to your own opinion of course. A New Hope is the original and it should always have a dear place in our hearts. But a simple look at the consensus reviews draws a huge comparison between the two films, so not sure it's madness, really. The Force Awakens is an excellent stand-alone film, just like A New Hope. The only reason why I wouldn't rate TFA higher than ANH and ESB is nostalgic at this point. But that's being a bit close minded IMO.

I think you're 100% wrong about Disney re-doing the OT in any fashion. You have to remember that these movies are scary as hell to make. Why would they want to re-do something so sacred and quite frankly unattainable to match it's greatness? You think Disney would risk their Star Wars brand to re-do the originals? Sorry man, this is complete nonsense. I'm telling you fellow Star Wars, there is no shot with this.

Don't confuse Star Wars with Marvel comic universe. The comic books get rebooted every decade or so, and the film series will as well. The only thing that was rebooted with Star Wars was the EU. They didn't touch the originals for a reason, and never will.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  10. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Has it been definitely confirmed that were even looking at a trilogy of films in the main narrative? I know 7, 8 and 9 were announced but is that going to be another ROTJ final ending? could it be more of a saga where say Rey's story might end but other elements carry on? knowing the way franchises work at the moment I'm sure Disney can see the benefit of this.

In terms of remakes I'd agree the OT will likely never happen, the PT is perhaps possible although again still not very likely but as has been mentioned theres plenty of chance to go a good way into the past or the future, the old Jedi/Sith wars could easily become another trilogy.

In terms of the anthology style films I personally think a lot hinges on whether Disney can find someone who can create interesting Starwars enviroments/characters outside of the Empire/Rebel sphere. That IMHO naturally represents a lot more of a challenge since your having to create more unique original material that lives up to stuff like Jabba and Bespin.

KING_KENOBI likes this.
  11. Lord Farnsworth

Lord Farnsworth Jedi Padawan star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    I think you can tell a story without having a 100% conclusion. I believe based on past experience of films we believe that episode IV will be the end, but I see it as a platform to expand the star wars universe.

AmySolo likes this.
  12. JediLight

May 31, 2001

Disney has confirmed episode 9 and the two spin-offs.

I think the success or failure of The Force Awakens was an enormous factor to have Disney continue with the current timeline. So far, so good. I think a successful episode 8 will confirm another sequel trilogy following the same chronology.

The worst case scenario would be 8 and 9 are horrible. Then Disney decides to go in another direction and time period (guessing 500 years ahead or before ANH) and develops a new trilogy without using the episodic fashion.

I kind of seeing unfolding like this:

Ep 8 will follow up TFA success. At this time, we'll already know the 3rd spin-off film. Disney brass will begin to work on the next trilogy following the events after episode 9. Guessing by then, all the legacy characters will move on from the narrative, although a ghost cameo is possible. If episode 9 comes out December 2019, I wouldn't expect a new trilogy kick off for another 4 or 5 years. The timeline can fast forward about 10 years from Episode 9. However, several spin-offs including ones with planned sequels would be in production.

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I wouldn't be surprised if the main villain survives to the next trilogy...in fact, I'm counting on it. If Snoke is supposed to be the next Palpatine, then it's very likely to be him. My money's on Kylo Ren, though. I don't know, but I'm getting the feeling that he'll be this monstrous tyrant that'll be worse than anyone before him.

14. SkooterNB

SkooterNB Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    Yeah, I think these will go on as long as we continue to go watch them.

But it would be great to get another trilogy within the GFFA but back in the Old Republic, or Jedi v. Sith on epic scale.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  15. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't care how many films they end up making, as long as their good/fun. And personally, I think that it'd be kind of a shame to only get three movies with these awesome new characters. Especially when there's an obvious route to do more with them (wait a few years, then show them as older, wiser, and in leadership roles).

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014

I mean I don't know that I'd rank TFA above ANH overall. I do think that, as a piece of filmmaking, it does quite a few things better than ANH though.

JediLight likes this.
  17. JediLight

May 31, 2001

Agreed. A New Hope built all of what we love. So it's never going to be matched in some ways.

18. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I was told by someone that part of the Lucas/Disney deal was that episodes 1-6 must remain unaltered.

What remake do I see coming? The Star Wars Saga with Disney characters.

19. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    I may be wrong about this but since the major merchandising of TFA started happening, there's been a marked decrease in merchandise available that is the Diz characters in SW costumes so that may not be a thing. At least not until there's a lull in the plan, but since there's a SW movie ever year for awhile it'll be a very long time.

20. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I'd assume it would happen after episode 9, or perhaps during 7-9 if the offshoot movies don't do as well as Disney hopes.

AmySolo likes this.
  21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    As does TFA.

It is the remake.

It's the least stand-alone film of the series by far. It's entirely dependent on I-VI which is their prerogative to do.

For myself I hope that TFA (which I'd rank 7th) is the least of all of the new era films including this year's Rogue One.

There is clearly a new instant nostalgia for TFA which is the essence of what they were going for and obviously succeeded terrifically for the audience and many fans as well.

I get the nostalgia factor that they were working of off Star Wars in general and ANH in particular. We all recognize it and I appreciate that is what they wanted to do and I enjoyed it on that level but I hope that after this reset movie that the rest of this trilogy actually creates something new and not so taken directly from Lucas himself. I'm not talking totally new since that can't happen after TFA but new in the way of we know that certain paths have to be taken but they don't have to so close to as TFA did them.

Darth PJ likes this.
  22. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

Less standalone than ESB? AOTC? I find that very hard to accept.

23. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Can we stop with the whole "you only like it for nostalgia" nonsense please? You don't make $2 BILLION off of just "nostalgia." Especially since LOTS of people who like/love the film haven't seen the older ones, or didn't grow up with them, or have no great attachment to them, etc. Heck I know quite a few people who are like that myself.

Lots of people liked the movie, because they thought that it was good/enjoyable.

24. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014

Yeah ESB resolves NOTHING, nor does AOTC. They're stories are left completely unresolved and every plot thread dangling. Note that I'm not calling this a BAD thing mind you, it's merely an observation.

Legolas22 likes this.
  25. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    As previously mentioned,there is a possibility o the demographics changing to such a degree in say 10 years,where profitability for "geek culture" movies falls out of style with the general public to such a degree that well either get sort of B-movies until they release a turkey which is so bad effectively killing the franchise for decades..

Technology could change to not favor "old style" media..there's a lot of scenarios which are fairly plausible especially given this has happened to every franchise that has been around enough and was big enough to b a huge cash cow..it was run into the ground because studio heads wanted their bonus paychecks.

When it come to creating receivables from the brand that will always win out to such a degree its scary,the rules in which these movies are made now could not be in a more different paradigm then previously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.