main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series is the 2003 series still cannon

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by johnny817, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I wouldn't say he completely failed to acknowledge the Thrawn Trilogy. He did use the name Coruscant, after all. :D

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    The issues with LoE and certain season three episodes of the micro series connecting with one and another really doesn't compare to what TCW does.

3. ChrisMathers

ChrisMathers Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2008
    It's ALL canon, dude. Everything without an Infinities logo is. Retcons are cheaper than band aids.

4. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    The only thing that doesn't obviously gel with TCW from CW is the way grievous acts, but he acts that way due to a misunderstanding. The crew knew that Grievous wielded four light-sabers, but didn't know he had four arms until they started making the capture of Palpatine episodes. Meaning they assumed he used his feet as well as his hands, painting the picture of a ninja-like, acrobatic warrior. He's not the raging, almost snidely-whiplash like commander we see in TCW and ROTS, and fights with twice as much skill and dexterity. Though personally, i think even TCW grievous is more competent and scary than the cowardly ROTS grievous.

I also find CW Ventress far different than TCW ventress, but this isn't a continuity thing, just a way they show her personality, and the various styles used in animation.

I love the 2003 CW and have grown to enjoy TCW (love a few eps), so i hope they don't render CW obsolete. I'd hate to have to hate TCW for that.

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Rishi, Abregado, Mag Sable-manouver..... Thrawn Trilogy has no major probs of being ignored- with TCW at least:p

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    TCW is much bigger than CW.

7. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    Indeed. And thus, higher in canon.

8. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Size does not matter. It's all canon, but TCW contradicts canon more.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Of course it does. Being bigger (both in length and scope), it has more chances to contradict previous canon.

10. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Sounds like more of an excuse

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    well old series has few battles, one kidnapping and mutantwolfpeople there is not much chance to contradict anything- especially when CW-timeline was not established yet so that's not just excuse we cannot compare these series so easily-
    Thing is that Lucas just don't care about EU- contradictions are usually lack of knowledge about established continuity- he wants free hands to continue his story that has continuity- but EU is not included- he wants new and fresh ideas what could have happened between Ep2 and 3- sometimes Eu limits too much....

12. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Actually Swash, you're wrong about the micro series not having anything to contradict.

You shouldn't say Lucas ignores the EU entirely, which is false.

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well he ignores most of it- and what CW had to contradict with? Whole Clone Wars thing contradicted with previous EU....

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Excuse? More like the truth.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I still count up to Anakin's Knighting scene in Chapter 21 as being cannon. After that, though, I don?t think so.

16. LONEWOLF09

LONEWOLF09 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    The micro-series didn't contradict anything except for the last 5 episodes with Labyrinth of Evil at the time. The micro-series was part of the larger picture anyway since the Republic comics and novels were out and did the entire war. In the Clone Wars TPBs at the beginning of each story, it says the amount of time after the Battle of Geonosis and before ROTS so it is Dave Filoni's and George Lucas's fault if they want to change things that were already set in stone a long time ago. So the EU doesn't limit anything because Filoni and Lucas didn't want to adhere to the old material and didn't have the guts to respect the people who actually did the entire war years ago. They should just say that there are two continuities, the "Lucas vision" which sounds like a cult where it is the movies and TCW show and the normal one with the movies and everything else in the EU.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I did not know or remember that Rishi appeared in DFR or that the Marg Sabl appeared in TCW. Interesting.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yup -- along with Coruscant, Rishi's another of Tim Zahn's inventions.

"Muunilinst" too, oddly enough.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I remembered Muunilinst from its usage in HOT, but not Rishi.

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Rishi was already partially raised to G-canon in AOTC when Obi-Wan mentions Rishi Maze near Kamino- that is obviously place- a satellite galaxy- where Planet Rishi and it's moon are- marg sable was used over Ryloth as idea of Ahsoka so she had no idea such a manouver has a name or i dunno if it had name at the time- later same manouver was used by Thrawn- then it was already well known and pretty old- Filoni talks about Marg Sable manouver in commentary of episode..... so it's intentional reference....

calling moviefandom a cult sounds very hippocrite IMO- it's no more cult than comicfandom- actually i see it another way around but anyway.... perhaps two continuities would be better official explanation but problem is there in the movies- EU is based on GL's vision as well as his universe - some eu-writers have created new stuff but most seem to recycle ideas from movies- most eu-stories are more like remixed saga than independent stories so saying "most good SW is made by others than Lucas" doesn't really look like truth to me..... movies are from Lucas so if EU would survive without them i would definitely say best choice is to separate these things- but well then EU would be not 'Star Wars' anymore since that's Lucas' story- it's all based on his work and his creations and now you guys are saying he should have no right to decide about the universe he created (and even let others to expand it)- isn't that bit odd?

I say it would be for the best to somehow renew the canonicity system- first of all IMHO we don't have to see EU as one bunch of stuff- some eu might have place in Lucas vision as Quinlan Vos and Aayla had, or Dathomir and Nal Hutta.... and some not.... it's not all discarded because of few conflicts...

Many take this so seriously... does it really matter if some book or comic is not canon- if it's great book/comic it serves it's purpose by entertaining the reader - EU continuity is overrated IMO- i don't enjoy about continuity alone i enjoy stories and we have many good SW-stories made by both Lucas and others and most continuity probs are minor ones anyway- few retcons and that's it 'all stories happened' again- there is just few errors you have to correct in your mind when watching/reading the product.....

if you like eu more- you can discard TCW from your own continuity and replace it with eu but then you must accept that's fanon- i have discarded many eu-stories but not all eu of course - there is lots of great stuff and i have my own fanon-continuity that includes old CW (except few errors and overall depiction that is far too superherolike to me)- , KOTOR and Thrawn-Trilogy for example (except 'historical' errors in it) but not Legacy or Dark Empire because i think those conflict with movies and prophecy of the Chosen One- but of course i accept they are all c-canon- but then what? It's all just fiction anyway... not so serious thing after all

I think it's also ok to discard some TCW-eps without discarding all episodes- they are not so deeply linked but like EU-stories they are independent and you are free to pick those you think are worthy....

ok back to topic- 2003 CW is canon- officially C-canon but some elements from it have been raised to T-canon- Z6-rotary blastercannon, V-19 Torrent Starfighter, Asajj Ventress, Rattatak and Fanblade-starfighter at least have made their way to higher continuity...... and for now all happenings are also possible- whatever happened to Barriss after Ilum battle she was not yet knighted and she continued as padawan and how Muunilinst b

21. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Ahem. I don't want to ruin everybody's fun, but according to this guy (darth_bane from the Dark Horse TCW thread) CW is now branded Infinities(of course without any official quotes anywhere I could be just extremely gullible, but hey ho on with the show)
    And I quote:
    "In fairness, Otis, the microseries has been determined to be Infinities, an in-universe tale told by the kid who saw Mace come to his homeworld. Given that the microseries (third season) contradicted several novels and webstrips, this wasn't the most egregious situation, except for the fact that LFL kept waffling about it (it was originally conceived as Infinities, then later forced to be made in-continuity, which played havoc with what Dark Horse had done, and then, after all that, Lucas decides it's not canon at all.)"

22. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    The microseries has never been declared "Infinities" anywhere. The first part of that guy's comment is a reference to Paxi Sylo, whose EU backstory (from the Databank or a sourcebook) claims he was so inspired after witnessing Mace Windu's battle of Dantooine that he later went on to make pro-Jedi propaganda films about it. Some fans have joked that these "films" are the microseries.

23. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Just found and read it while putting off sleep is all. I love the show to bits and would love it to remain canonical, and I am still waiting for the 2008 show to step up its game and show more badass ARC troopers and Jedi moments.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Sorry if I seemed a little too defensive there -- the microseries is one of my favorite things in Star Wars as a whole. They can do what they want with Coruscant Nights, but I'll defend those old CW shows to my dying breath.

25. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Agreed on the ARC troopers comment but the Jedi were shown to be WAAY overpowered in the series. The entire Mace Windu episode was hilarious at best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.