main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Is the Catholic Church wrong?

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    YES HE DID. READ THE DA VINCI CODE SHEEPLE

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ah yes he had the sexy time with Mary Mags in that.

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    you know jeezo boned down like a mawfugga. name one cult leader that didnt

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Cruising around with his buddies... eating roots and drinking wine. You know damn well Jayzus crushed some poon.

Ender Sai and Rogue_Ten like this.
  5. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    crushed it. word

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    the disciple kru got buckwild erryday

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Put that whole blood conversation into a different context. Jayzus and his crew hanging out, eating some food, and drinking wine.

"Hay maaaaaaan.... this wine is my blooooood..."

8. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Does that make the Christians, The original gangster Bloods?

9. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Bloods Crew Going gangsta since 1 AD. Take that Bitches

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No beezel. Just. No.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Ender Sai like this.
  11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Not just Neuromancer; Count Zero and Snow Crash too.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I've yet to read Snow Crash. I'm a bad cyberpunk. :(

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Dude spent a lot of time in close quarters with other dudes. You know he experimented. In the biblical sense.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You're a bad human being. Go and get a copy and don't post until you've finished it.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have read Snow Crash, Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Do Androids Dream Electric Sheep, The Diamond Age, Mirrorshades the Cyberpunk Anthology, Ready Player One, Burning Chrome, Islands In The Net, When Gravity Fails, A Fire In The Sun, The Exile Kiss, Software, Accelerando, and GURPS Cyberpunk. I'll see you all in virtual purgatory.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't see the Bridge trilogy though.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I tried it, it sucked.

So, add Virtual Light.

18. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Yes, sometimes the SC gets it wrong but not in this case. If you were to interpret the first amendment "free exercise" protection as providing an absolute right then literally any conduct can be held up as an exercise of religious belief, anything - child rape, human sacrifice, slavery, torture, etc etc..the list is endless. Don't want to pay tax? Easy..just claim that paying tax offends against a religious belief and you have yourself a religious exemption on first amendment grounds. This is just a common sense interpretation.

What is wrong with some forms of discrimination? Discrimination is, by definition, the act of treating somebody differently because of their membership in some group which is defined by a particular attribute such as race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, political affiliation etc etc. What you do when you discriminate against somebody is you strip away that person's humanity and replace it with a label - you no longer see the merits of that person you only consider the label and whatever connotations you have assigned to that label. On this basis, discrimination is a breach of fundamental human rights. You are free to believe what you want but you are not free to act on that belief if that action harms somebody else.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    What? Idoru was weak but All Tomorrow's Parties was good.

20. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    It's ironic that really old escapist fiction forbids people to read more recent escapist fiction.

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The sad thing is, some parts of the bible are beautifully written. It's just one has to wade through bullshart to get to these.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Alan Watts said, and it really rang true to me, that the reason religion always obsesses over sex is because religion is about trying to transcend the body by elevating a person to the level of a spirit and sex is the moment at which an individual is most intensely connected to the body. He calls it something along the lines of the experience that most strongly and intensely tethers a person to the physical world. That really makes a lot of sense to me. However, one could certainly argue, and I do, that sex is, while intensely rooted in the physical world, also a very spiritual experience.

Yeah, I said sex is a "spiritual experience." [face_love] I don't know why I don't get laid like every ten minutes.

Jedi Merkurian and Saintheart like this.
  23. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Because you're focused on the wrong kind of spirit.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    You must focus on the sexy spirit.

25. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    The US Naval Academy is not a private school, but public. It is one of the five Federally funded US Academies and is listed as one of the best public schools by US News. Even as a public school they would probably fire a Communist spouting propaganda in the classroom because each instructor is expected to contribute to their department's teaching mission…which probably isn't converting midshipmen into communists.

I do agree that private schools should be able to hire people who reflect their values. A private Catholic School might not want to hire an atheist. They usually make new teachers sign documents saying they will not publicly discredit the core beliefs of the school. This way when they are fired it is because they did not adhere to the contract they signed when hired.