main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the character of Jar-Jar-Binks really neccessary to the story?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Ob1-Ob2-Ob3, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ob1-Ob2-Ob3

Ob1-Ob2-Ob3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    Don't get me wrong, I love the guy as much as anyone else, but it seems controversial to me that his character even existed, except for some minor plot points.

The only thing that he was really good for was providing some comic relief to the first episode of the saga. He drew in many younglings to the Star Wars universe, and made them into fans. BUT, all he really contributed to in the story was by proposing that the senate grant emergency powers to the Supreme Chancellor in order to deal with the issue of the seperatists. Could this not have been done much easier?

In the first story, all that he really does is to get all of the gungans to fight in the ground battle against the droids. Couldn't this diversion have been done a lot easier by some other characters. The main reason that I d not think that the Gungans are of any importance is because they are not even mention in AOTC?

Not having Jar-Jar could hae saved Lucas 1, 000s of dollars in CGI, and the lost time could have been put towards a longer sabre fight, or a better setup for AOTC.

If you disagree with any of these ideas please try to persuade me otherwise. Tell me your thoughts on this subject. Peace out.

2. Ob1-Ob2-Ob3

Feb 1, 2004
    Where did the name Jar-Jar Binks come from anyway? Weird.

3. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    "Don't get me wrong, I love the guy as much as anyone else."

In other words, you don't like him much, do you?

No, he is not necessary to the story, but again, most characters aren't. The only truly necessary ones are Anakin, Yoda, Kenobi, Padme, Palpatine, the twins, and perhaps, if only mentioned, the Lars. Everyone else is superfluous and only there to add texture.

Edit: spelling

4. HaN___DoLO3

HaN___DoLO3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2003
    He's necessary because of the Naboo/Gungan truce, and he votes to give Palpatine emergency powers.

5. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Jar Jar isn't essemtial to the story like the major characters are, but then again neither were characters like Chewbacca or Lando. Not all characters have to have importaince in terms of the main characters. And considering what Jar Jar is done, to me, he's actually one of the more importaint characters to the story.

6. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    George just likes showing off his CGI creations. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jar Jar is just too much in TPM and less annoying in AotC.

7. Holy_Ben_Kenobi

Holy_Ben_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2004
    He's necessary because of the Naboo/Gungan truce, and he votes to give Palpatine emergency powers.

He could've been removed from the plot just by saying that they could've voted without Amidala, and still got what they wanted. It still would've been one less vote to support the vote against Clone creation. Jar Jar is/was unnecessary character.

So is Capt. Panaka. Most of his lines could've been given to Amidala. He was unnecessary three times over, and removes the main characters from each other. Much interaction was needed among "the three" and Panaka was one such character.

So were the handmaidens. Could've reduced it to one. What would've been the problem with that? Not much of bodyguards, anyway. Not one threw a kung-fu move at anyone. They might as well have been droids.

Before the movie was even released, most fans knew that Amidala would be pulling the ol' switcheroo anyway. It wasn't much of a surprise in TPM, nor in the beginning of AOTC.

8. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "Where did the name Jar-Jar Binks come from anyway?"

George's young son is credited with coming up with the name 'Jar Jar.'

EDIT: In my original post, I typed out "George's young song" rather than "son," making me look even more stupid than I already am.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

9. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    ST is right. You could make a case for virtually all of the character in SW not being strictly essential to the story.

Lucas came up with a neat twist on the character by making him partly responsible for the creation of the Empire. I liked that, the ulimate "D'oh!" moment ;)

10. Ob1-Ob2-Ob3

Feb 1, 2004
    Mace Windy, do you mean his son?
    ===
    Peace out.

11. Puckman187

Puckman187 Jedi Youngling

Feb 3, 2004
    Jar Jar isn't essemtial to the story like the major characters are, but then again neither were characters like Chewbacca or Lando.

Uh, Lando blew up the second death star...

12. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Is the character of Jar-Jar-Binks really neccessary to the story?

Yes, he is. He brought the Naboo and the Gungans together and he (unwittingly) allowed Palpatine to gain more power during the Separatist crisis.

He's important to the story.

-Otis

13. Holy_Ben_Kenobi

Jan 26, 2004
    Yes, he is. He brought the Naboo and the Gungans together and he (unwittingly) allowed Palpatine to gain more power during the Separatist crisis.

He's important to the story.

He was useless, though up until those points of the movie, and it could've been dealt with in another way to get the Gungans to help. Jar Jar is just by-and-by and ill-conceived character.

Did we need Jar Jar to bring the Naboo and Gungans together? No, it could've been established early on that neither race liked each other (for what reason we just don't know, TPM now doesn't even tell us why), and Padme could've sent a message to them, offering a truce. A very small exposition would've completely removed Jar Jar.

Jar Jar is absolutely unnecessary in AOTC. Did we need him to tell Anakin that "she's happy..." after seeing the two Jedi? Not even his role to give Palpatine more power was necessary. That role could've easily been given to Organa (who was underused), after being cornered into it politically. They didn't even need Bail either. Once Palpatine got rid of Amidala (by sending her back to Naboo to hide), he would've had enough votes to put himself in power. Once again, a little exposition negates Jar Jar.

Just for the record, I also felt Panaka was unnecessary.

14. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    Jar Jar isn't essential to the story like the major characters are, but then again neither were characters like Chewbacca or Lando.

Uh, Lando blew up the second death star...

Yes, but it easily could have been Han who could have blown up the second death star while Leia led the ground forces. Lando's "importaince" could have been given to other characters.

My point is, you could take out characters like Jar Jar, Lando, Wedge, Chewbacca...but you'd be taking out the things that add extra interest/humor/depth to these movies.

I will pose this: the entire Star Wars saga isn't "essential". All the plot points and characters and character arcs and action sequences and deaths are not "essential" in telling this story, nor any other story. Simply put, it is just a story, and for a story to be interesting, you need those various things. Jar Jar is no different. He's there because he can be, and he does serve a purpose.

15. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Jar Jar isn't necessary to any of the movies.

16. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    I soooo agree. Jar Jar is not even neccessary anymore. Someone kill him!

17. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Jar Jar was in TPM. But he wasn't in AOTC. But not having him in it to me would be like Chewbacca not being in ESB.

18. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Who else could have played the patsy for Palpatine? It helps the story when it's a character we're familiar with and care about (well, some of us care about him).

19. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Jar Jar role in the movies is multiple. Yes he is a CGI character, Yes he is comic relief.

But the underlying role is that he is a mirror of Anakin. He is sweet, loveable and innocent and well-meaning.

The fact that Jar-Jar is the one who is manipulated by Palpatine and the senators shows us two things. 1) The Emperor did not recieve his power through an evil compatriots, but the innocent well-meaning ingorance of a creature who was trying to do the right thing. 2) That evil was done through the guise of doing something good and noble. It is a lesson that many nation could learn today.

20. Holy_Ben_Kenobi

Jan 26, 2004
    but the innocent well-meaning ingorance of a creature who was trying to do the right thing.

Then what's he doing in politics! :)

It still stands in my mind that TPM and AOTC could've been written without him. There are scenes in ANH and ESB showing the villains up to no good, and the scene could've been played with Bail in the role. I've said this already, but...

neither were characters like Chewbacca or Lando.
    This argument is used way too often. Chewbacca is an extension of Han's character. He is Han's conscience, just like Jimminy Cricket was Pinnochio's. Jar Jar doesn't offer that aspect, nor does he offer the "innocence" that Anakin isn't or whatever. Jar Jar is a goof, CGI-candy, and that's it.

Lando. Who else would the gang have dealt with in Bespin? Who else would've Han turned to in a time of need? Who else, cut from the same cloth as Han, been there to turn himself around and do the right thing and help his friends?

ESB wouldn't have been the same without him. Altho, I do wish his character was a little better realized in ROTJ (it worked in the beginning). I would've preferred a hero's death for him.

21. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    JarJar Binks will soon show his quality.

22. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    Chewbacca is an extension of Han's character. He is Han's conscience

Exactly. He's an extension of another character, meaning he isn't all that importaint. The movie could have simply had Han and not Chewbacca and it would work the same. But then we'd be missing out on some classic moments featuring Chewbacca. The same goes for Jar Jar.

23. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Man, Chewie rules. If not for Chewie, Han and the Falcon wouldn't have returned to Yavin, Luke would have died, and the Empire would have won.

Don't be dissin' the wook!

24. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Man, Chewie rules. If not for Chewie, Han and the Falcon wouldn't have returned to Yavin

So certain are you? Seems to me that Han came back of his own accord, because Luke's (and Leia's) harsh words got to him.

25. Jainalover

Jainalover Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    That is what I always thought too. But back on topic: George Lucas obviously thought the character of Jar Jar Binks was important to the story he wanted to tell. So that should be enough for us. It is his story to tell after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.