main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the character of Jar-Jar-Binks really neccessary to the story?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Ob1-Ob2-Ob3, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    because Luke's (and Leia's) harsh words got to him.

You mean his conscience got to him? That's Chewie!

Seriously, I doubt Han, at that point in his character, would have come back without a little insistent growling on Chewie's part. Han had a bounty on his head and a cargo bay full of money.

2. Holy_Ben_Kenobi

Holy_Ben_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2004
    JarJar Binks will soon show his quality.

(Wipes eyes) That's the funniest thing I've read in a while!

But then we'd be missing out classic moments ...The same goes for Jar Jar.

(Wipes more tears away}. Nope...that was...Thanks for a good laugh guys.

It is his story to tell after all.

*Sigh* Yeah, it is. It's a shame his PT stories are second-rate, and less-than-inspired.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    It's a shame that is how you choose to see it.

They seem a lot more inspired than any of the things people have said to slam them.

Jar-Jar is important. He acts as as a lightning rod for intolerance. Notice how the younger characters were able to simply accept him for what he was, while everyone else was banishing him, tucking him out of the way, and in some instances barely tolerating him. Jar-Jar is there to point out one of society's greatests phsychological weaknesses, and the people who hated him illustrated that concept.

4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Ooops! Double Post!

5. Ob1-Ob2-Ob3

Ob1-Ob2-Ob3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    "I soooo agree. Jar Jar is not even neccessary anymore. Someone kill him!"

We need more people in the world like you MasterP. I hope that Jar Jar's death is extremely painful!

Peace out.

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    What can one do against such wreckless hate?

7. Ob1-Ob2-Ob3

Ob1-Ob2-Ob3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    I wouldn't worry about our reckless hate.

=NOW=

When we start saying that we want real actors to die a painful death instead of CGI characters, THAT, my friend, is when you need to start worrying.

Peace out.

8. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "What can one do against such wreckless hate?"

lol

news bulletin: Jar Jar is not real.

9. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    "Jar-Jar is there to point out one of society's greatests phsychological weaknesses, and the people who hated him illustrated that concept"

Yes,yes. George's profound underlining poetic message through the instrament of JarJar Binks is a stagering reflection of the human condition. Especially when he says "Exsqeeeeze mee." Or the hope illustrated in the Gungans willful act of placing his head in the general direction then sniffing what he knew was a rank alien-camel fart.

Pure genius.

10. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "Jar-Jar is important. He acts as as a lightning rod for intolerance."

by being just about the single most intolerable character in the history of cinema... if he had any redeeming qualities maybe intolerance of him would be meaningful. but taking JAr Jar as is there is no reason to feel sorry for him or feel anything much more than "wow he sure is lame! i wish he wasnt in this movie."

11. Jainalover

Jainalover Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    If indeed Jar Jar was included to test our tolerance of those who act different from us-then I am afraid we have failed the test. Just as the majority of the adult characters in the movie did not tolerate him-so have we done. We could learn a few lessons from children in this regard.

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Jar-Jar isn't real, but our hate for him is.

13. Jainalover

Jainalover Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Then why do you spend so much energy hating a character in a movie who has no bearing on your life in the real world? And who was not created for the audience to hate? No one is making you watch the movies with him in them. If you dont like the character then just ignore him.

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I was being nice by saying "our hate".

I personally love Jar-Jar to bits.

15. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    If Jar Jar is supposed to be a lesson in tolerance, what lesson is that, exactly? "Tolerate the people who annoy you most, and one day they'll inadvertantly bring your entire way of life to absolute ruin?" :p

16. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    What alot of people are forgeting is that while we watch the Star Wars saga, we are seeing a myth unfold. The characters' roles & representations are more important thier actions, ergo Mace is a symbol of the Jedi Order as a whole. JarJar is more important then simply uniting the Jungans w/ the Nabooians or for granting Palps emergency powers.

What JarJar represents is the mythological fool. A character that when first met is easily dismissed by the other characters, as being an inferrior. However along the journey, the fool gains respect, as he proves neccessary to the group's survival. The fool is also represented in King Lear. In tesb, when we first meet Yoda, he plays this role. As he is dismissed by Luke for the way he talks and the way he looks.

This idea has been further addressed in both the 3nsa board, as well as the saga board.

But the underlying role is that he is a mirror of Anakin. He is sweet, loveable and innocent and well-meaning.

It has also been speculated that if JJ was given a better fan reaction, he would have been killed by Anakin, to show how far Anakin has fallen.

PS We will see Bail Organa be a strong leader in ep iii, so it was important in order to believe this, not to have him be so gullible and naive during ep ii.

17. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    "I personally love Jar-Jar to bits."

*Sigh* Gomer, you have made it painfully obvious that there is NOTHING you dont love about the PT. You have posted in opposite of all matters pointing to the slightest and greatest displeasures of the movies. One would even wonder if your not sitting at your computer having a good laugh entertaining yourself with post after post of how enlightening and epic these prequel films are. I mean, look. If Yoda had thrown-up for no reason during his fight with Dooku and we said "What the heck was that?" You would surely dance into the room and tell everyone how the chunks in his vomit represents the heart and soul of mankind and is a exibition of great film making as the Jedi Master purges himself of the Galaxies many evils.

What DONT you like or disagree with in the PT?

18. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Did Lucas specifically say Jar Jar was meant to represent intolerance? (Quote?) I doubt even a single kid got that message. Lucas said Jar Jar was put in for comedic value. I think he was thinking of making his son Jett happy more than thinking about how Jar Jar's role will fit into the overall "mythic fabric".

And McCallum said anti-Jar Jar fans will get a kick out of the way Jar Jar is responsible for the fate of the Republic. So it seems as if Rick is acknowledging the fact that JJB was just really hated all around. (with good reason I say) Take out JJB and I wouldn't miss a thing. The movie would probably be better.

19. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    If Yoda had thrown-up for no reason during his fight with Dooku and we said "What the heck was that?" You would surely dance into the room and tell everyone how the chunks in his vomit represents the heart and soul of mankind and is a exibition of great film making as the Jedi Master purges himself of the Galaxies many evils.

[face_laugh] NeoBaggins.

20. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    What DONT you like or disagree with in the PT?

I know the answer to this: Maul's horns, they look glued on, right, Go-Mer?

"Too long have I watched Go-Mer Tonic. Too long have I haunted his steps" 8-}

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Maul's "shakey" horns are symbolic of how truly weakened his soul has become after years of harboring hatred for the Jedi.

22. Holy_Ben_Kenobi

Holy_Ben_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2004
    He acts as as a lightning rod for intolerance.

Now you're getting it. We find him intolerable.

It is his story to tell after all.

One of the gusher mantras, I guess. But, it's not a very good story, and that's the basher mantra.

The fool is also represented in King Lear.

Yes, but the fool in King Lear is far more tolerable than Jar Jar.

23. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Dont know about that one, the fool in Ran was pretty damn annoying ;)

24. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    Speaking of Maul's horns. Are they supposed to be real horns, or decoration like his tatto? If they are decor it would be alright that they look fake but if they are actually supposed to make us think theyre coming out of his head, dang. Not such a good job. Oh, well. Just a testimate to the many follies of TPM. I do believe with this toning down of Jarjar in AOTC gives a good platform to redeem him in EP3. But thats up to the maker. His Movie is his. His alone, his own. His preeeshhhhcciouussss.
    [image=http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid103/pe1ac997d7bc064d76bfde6fc64530404/f9a6b077.jpg]

25. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Is that a self portrait?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.