main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the character of Jar-Jar-Binks really neccessary to the story?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Ob1-Ob2-Ob3, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    The fool's role is more complicated than that, and it doesn't always manifest itself as the one who gave the bad guy his powers specifically.

So what does the fool traditionally do in all these myths?

g

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    He steps in poop...

3. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    In AOTC? [face_devil]

4. Darth_Meul

Darth_Meul Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2004
    Bail Organa has a real connection to the OT whereas Jar-Jar doesn't. Why not take 5 minutes (and I doubt it would even take that long) to develop his character in AOTC and add to the backstory of his role in the Republic, his decision to start the rebellion against the Empire, and adopt Leia? Big picture: Bail is essential. Jar-Jar isn't.

Most people didn't know Bail Organa before AOTC came out, and I'm sure they still don't know after seeing it. I didn't even know who he was, let alone if he was in the film. Only after visiting these forums (after I saw AOTC) I learned of the character. It'll be interesting to see what GL does with the character in EP3.

5. Revenge_of_da_Sith

Revenge_of_da_Sith Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2004
    I like to learn the names of the characters in the movie, so I knew who bail was. I first realized his connection to leia when I discovered that her alias was Leia Organa

6. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    I remember when the OT were coming out that Darth Vader was the most hated and despised character in the movies and many people were really repulsed by him! But all that changed with ROTJ when Vader sacrifices himself, kills the Emperor and saves Lukes life. People might even have begun to change their minds about him when Vader informed Luke that he's his father.

I can't help but wonder if it might be the same with Jar-Jar in ROTS. Perhaps he 'redeems' himself and somehow saves and rescues OB1 and Yoda, the last of the Jedi and makes it possible for them to go to Tatooine and Dagoba! :eek:

This would certainly add to the theory of Jar-Jar mirroring/reflecting Anakin.

7. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    Well, Jar Jar is the cause of all evil in the universe.

Can't go back now and change until Lucas decides to pull the Special Editions of the Prequel trilogy out of his butt.

8. jariten

jariten Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2000
    havnt read all 30 plus pages but heres my take on it.

JJ's character is tragic, in so much that hes bullied, laughed at, scorned upon and badly manipulated by pretty much all the characters so far (excluding Qui Gon). In TPM, his antics have a light, jovial feeling about them which is in course in keeping with the general atmosphere of the film.

Yet in the second one, despite his best efforts to change himself, to take on responsibilty, and to become more mature, he is still doomed to failure. no matter how hard he tries. in AOTC however, again in keeping with the mood of the film, the results of his bumbling are much much darker and carry much heavier implications. yet he seems incapable of escaping from these mistakes.

this is the tragedy at the heart of the character and the main reason why i like him.

9. JediAl

JediAl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2002
    BINKS? HE SO DOES NOT HAVE A NECESSARY ROLE IN Aotc!!! Binks...OUT!!!!!! AND DON'T COME BACK!!!!!!

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Dude, you are talking to a f-i-c-t-i-o-n-a-l character. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.