main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the Cheese really necessary?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JediDragon, Aug 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Is the cheesey dialogue, etc. really necessary for fanfilms? Does it make it better or worse?

My buddy just went through getting his script edited for dialogue to make it more "realistic".

I myself wrote my script so that it would be as realistic and non-george lucas-like as possible.

What are your opinions on "The Cheese"? Keep it there because that's what's in Star Wars? Or lose it because it sounds dumb? And even if it looks good on paper, if you just got some dude doing the acting instead of a pro actor, if you have the slightest amount of cheese in the dialogue, it's going to show through bigtime on screen.

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    If you're doing an SW fan film, I'd say yes. Well, I would have. Then I read your point about acting.

I'd say: keep your dialogue a little cheesy, but not as cheesy as GL likes to make it. Your actor will probably compensate for it.

This is coming from someone who loves SW hokeyness, mind you. (ANH is my fave film of the series, if that clues you in.)

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    JD,
    I think that GL is specifically going for that Saturday Afternoon Serial effect. It was a little cheesy. But I think dialog for a film should be according to the Director's vision.

Your film is dark. Cheese would ruin the effect.

I have areas in my film where cheese would be okay, but as you get to the end the cheese would ruin the powerful effect.

Personally, if I never heard cheese again I wouldn't miss it!

4. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Yup! I'm just curious what every director's vision is on the subject ;)

I know I'm anti-cheese for the most part, but I can see how it can fit into some fanfilms. Especially if they're trying to be 100% Star Wars. Mine is more of a dark story of revenge set in Star Wars than a Star Wars story about revenge.

5. Decapitated-Jango

Decapitated-Jango Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Cheese? Where!?

I think it depends on the fanfilm.

6. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Marble...

er...

Keeping in mind what may sound cheesy to one group may not to another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.