main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the Count really all that scary?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by flipmanburn, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flipmanburn

flipmanburn Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2005
    Why is it that everytime I see Count Dooku, he reminds me of that old man down the street who lives alone? I mean does he really strike fear in our hearts everytime we hear his name? Not likely. Dooku looks more like a eighty year old man who needs his jello and a nap. I would of thought Lucas would of made him alittle more dark and scary looking. Kind of like how Darth Maul was. Let me know your opinion on this. (NO SPOILERS PLEASE) MAY THE SITH BE WITH ALL OF YOU!

2. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005
    I agree with your statement, he looks like he is most likely to break a hip then to duel with young jedi members.

3. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    Vader, Maul, and Grievous all have great looks. Dooku has never made come out and say "Wow! This man is scary yet cool!"

4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Dude, he's not supposed to be "scary".

5. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    hes supposed to have the intelligent look. For a number of reasons lucas went for that- to show anyone can turn to the dark side evan one high up and smart- they needed him to be smart and talk a lot because in the movie his planning and making the deals and stuff. Differnt to maul who had about 2 lines and was there just cause he was one scary looking dude!

6. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Count Dooku is a classy, straight forward, and wise old man blended with finesse and power. There's nothing abnormal about him or his personality. Dooku is what he is. It's his heart alone that contains the source of evil to stir up the dark side.

7. flex_187ad

flex_187ad Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2005
    Yeah i agree
    and also Maul, Vader and Grievous dont look human, tehrye made to look scary
    Dooku is just a human sith lord who isnt deformed, i like him

8. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    What Dooku lacks in fearful appearance, he makes up for in charisma, (over)confidence... and great skill.

9. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    I agree with NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER - Dooku's appearance wasn't intented to be scary or frightening; perhaps the character's gravitas was meant to pose a sense of intimidation to his enemies, but apart from his physical actions, he wasn't terribly threatening. I think that with Dooku, Lucas was sort of creating a hybrid, Jedi-version of Governor Tarkin from "A New Hope" - considering that the actors, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, who portray the respective characters in question, were colleagues in a great number of Hammer pictures from the 50s, 60s and 70s, the connection would appear to have some level of superficial validity. Furthermore, the two characters have a stately, formal appearance and are dressed in moderately similar attire.

Dooku is emblematic of the physical (human) manifestation of the Dark Side's enticing and ultimately corrosive power; his person is at once indicative of the impending tragedy which hangs over the Republic, while simultaneously containing a parallel to Anakin's eventual fall from grace. Forgive the more literal nature of this comment, but Darth Maul, who essentially occupied Dooku's position as "villain of the week" in "The Phantom Menace", suggested the foreign aspect of the Dark Side and all that it encompassed. These things are gradually collecting in the narrative fabric of the pictures, and carry symbolic, rather than entirely practical, relevance. In other words, Dooku appears less vicious so that it becomes more difficult for both the characters and the audience to characteristically objectify him as a villain.

10. AaronKenobi

AaronKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    I've always thought of Dooku as what Obiwan would have been like if he was a sith. There are alot of similarities between the two. They both have the Connection to Qui Gonn, they both have an aristocratic air about them. I think Dooku tries to convert Ben in AOTC because he feels a sense of kinship to him and see's a bit of himself in the younger man.

11. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Since when is Dooku supposed to be scary? I didn't find Palpatine, a wrinkled guy in a coat, all that scary either. Good bad guys don't have to scare. They have to be evil. As for Dooku, we don't know what his real motives are, if he's pure evil or not. Everyone makes fun of him for being old, but did you forget Tarkin? After Darth Maul, who was brainless muscle, Dooku is a return to the "classy" villains, which in my opinion, are the best. They can outwit you and beat you by not getting their energy up.

12. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    Dooku = Worst. Sith. Ever.

Don't get me wrong.. He's a great character and I love Christopher Lee, but I think he would've been better off as a self-serving politician or something along those lines.

He's just a bit too gray to be a Sith, IMO.

13. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    dooku a class act all the way. not scary looking but bad to the bone.

he's freakin dracula man, who's more scary then him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.