main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Is the cult of Apple losing its shine

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Master Agoraphobia

Master Agoraphobia Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Regardless of your flavor of choice, let's all take a moment to appreciate the Unix OS. Thanks to Unix we have Linux, Mac OSX, and, in turn, Androids and iPhones :)

We're getting closer to that, my friend: http://pomegranatephone.com/

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Really? Gosh that's marvelous sport. You must be some sort of special person, for Apple to give you access to their top secret prototype iTunes that does not require all visual media to be in MP4 format. Every single other person must convert the .mkv to .m4v. Every one. But not you because you're very, VERY special and not telling tall tales, correct?

I mean, it makes more sense that you would be given a special iTunes that doesn't require conversion. I just tried it then, and it didn't work necessitating me loading up the old Videora converter program. Google leads me to believe that every other user of iTunes has to go through the same thing, so if I were you sport I'd go and start telling people how you can just drag and drop and watch the internet worship a new king.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, your "witty" sarcasm aside.
    I open up iTunes, click iPad, go to Apps, select my player App (Azul or PlayerXtreme) and just drop the .mkv file in it and it plays normally. I've literally just done that.

I have zero interest in making these things up. Very little interest in arguing over such matters, especially with folks who choose to "discuss" in such a juvenile manner as shown in that post above.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like the fact that I can download a song to iTunes and it automatically downloads to my phone, plus my kids can easily download the song to their iPad Minis just by pulling it from the cloud. I've always preferred iTunes as a format for music files; if I preferred another format I might feel differently. I don't even know if songs purchased from iTunes will even sync with an Android phone. I had a Samsung Intercept and it was awful.

That said--my parents have Mac computers and I much prefer my Windows computer which I have upgraded myself and find more user-friendly.

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    If I don't know how to download a song for my iPod, I just pray to Jesus and ask Him for guidance.

7. Master Agoraphobia

Nov 9, 2012
    Speaking of music on phones, just use Spotify on your phone. Spotify is one of the greatest things to ever happen to me. 9 bucks a month for unlimited, uninterrupted music of my choosing? Totally worth it.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You're using third party software designed to fix the problem. iTunes alone cannot play .mkv files.

Ender Sai likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Pandora is better than Spotify because it's free.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Fair enough, but that's what I said from the very start. I very rarely use default programs and I fail to see the big deal when there is a wide array of quite good free players available.
    *shrug*
    To each his own, I guess.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Ding ding ding.

This.

If you could open up the file system of your iPad, which you don't need to because Steve Jobs said so, you would see the file is no longer .mkv.

Also, anakinfansince1983 - Google Play is the same as iTunes. Only, cheaper. And not in a stupid, DRM rights controlled environment. Promise.

12. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    they'd better come up with some new hot product quick, like maybe an ipad that you balance on your thumbnail or something. a nailpad, if you will.

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. Master Agoraphobia

Nov 9, 2012

That all depends on what you're wanting out of it. I actually use both. Pandora doesn't allow you to freely listen to what you want. It makes suggestions. You cannot skip around freely more than 6 times per hour (even with the paid service, Pandora One).

Spotify has a free version too, and just like Pandora, the free version has advertisements. Unlike Pandora, you go and search for whatever music you want and create your own playlists and can listen to whatever you want in your playlists whenever you want. They both have their pros and cons.

Try out free Spotify and see what you think. Ultimately, there is not one that is better than the other.

I use both because sometimes I'll get tired of my lists on Spotify and I'll want to see what Pandora suggests to me. Other times I know exactly what I want to listen to (for example, a full album from beginning to end) so I'll open up my Spotify.

14. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    I have an iPhone 5s and a Nexus 5.

Conspicuous consumption, *****es!

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The battery life on my iPod is terrible, and I don't want to buy a new one. Whiiiiiiiine

16. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Couldn't find the actual Apple thread, so I thought I'd ask this here: is the absence of an audio port on the iPhone 7 something to be excited about, or is it a huge deterrent?

Personally, I've had bluetooth headphones crap out on me numerous times, cheap brands and expensive brands too. Ultimately, I'm always going back to old school wired headphones until I save up enough money for my next Bluetooth set (which will eventually crap out in a year's time or less, as seems to be the trend in my life).

17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Not a fan since I like using a splitter on the jack and will watch things together with my wife while commuting to work.

18. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I personally hate it.

19. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I can't remember a time I've ever charged my phone and had earphones connected at the same time.

20. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Earphones are probably the most commonly lost iPhone accessory. At least that's been my experience in a family of four. The price tag on the wireless earphones is maybe a disincentive to lose them, but they're still small and easily misplaced, probably easily broken, stepped on, etc. seems like a really ***** money grab to corner the lucrative earphone replacement market.

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

i got somehting you can stick in your "audio port" right here

*gestures obscenely*

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Geeked out with classmates as we watched yesterday. Apple's still got shine.

23. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i've only been in an apple store once because as soon as i walked in i felt ill from all the appleyness of everything and ralphed all over the greeter guy. he started crying. i felt bad and retreated tout suite.

solojones and Ender Sai like this.
  24. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

is it racist that i've always assumed you're a jts sock?

25. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    if it is, i'm letting you off the hook, personally speaking.

Ender Sai likes this.