main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Is the cult of Apple losing its shine

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Dec 1, 2013.

1. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Ozzy man reviews the iphone 7

LANGUAGE WARNING

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What about when you get the S8 or S9 and they have also dropped the headphone jack? They'll all be doing sooner rather than later. But they'll all come with adapters, I would imagine.

If people lose them, I'd say that's on them, and it's not much different than bluetooth devices that have been around for years. Same goes for the charging. We'll have to wait and see on the sound quality.

In this post you're complaining about the new technology, and then the next saying Apple never come up with new technology. Like all these companies, they do both. It just happens that Apple does have more gushers, which annoy others and makes them bashers. As far as that goes, I understand the gusher/basher for things like Star Wars, but for tech companies? Nope, don't get that one. (This last part of the post is NOT directed at you, SJ :p)

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Everyone has to have a sports team. Whether it's actual sports, politics, or technology -- you have to root hard for Young Thing and despise the Other Thing (or more accurately, fans of the Other Thing).

Hard to move past tribalism I guess.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Diggy likes this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    **** off, yank.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Somewhere out there, Beezel is weeping tears of joy seeing one of his 14,000 threads being necromanced.

Darth_Invidious and heels1785 like this.
  6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    The innovation is less each year but the same goes for android. The last android I bought (Samsung S4) I turned off all the supposed innovative features because they were all terrible (the hand swipey and eye ball thingies, just useless)

It's not an apple thing, it's a smartphone thing. There's no need to change phones every year no matter which phone you own.

As for the 7, I won't be upgrading. I usually charge my phone and listen to music with my wired sennheisers when I go to bed. I'll wait and see how the wireless tech plays out before upgrading my hd25's

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

i assumed "Ozzy Man" was a reggae dancehall artist. that would have been a lot funnier, too

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I probably won't upgrade, but I bet an adapter will be out soon enough allowing charging and headphones at the same time.

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Where do I pre-order the iPlant - the Apple earbuds that are implanted straight into my ear canal? This way when I'm not listening to music or watching videos, they can play ads while I'm dropping a deuce or sleeping.

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Not buying the 7, my 6s is fine save for battery life and the small screen but since I just bought this last December there's no way I am going to spend another 1k on a phone. I'm too vested in the Apple ecosystem to leave and hope someone over there starts paying attention to the software again. Won't join the Apple Upgrade Program as 85% of the folks whose posts I've read have said nothing but horror stories about it. I dislike the spreading their fingers into every pie and letting their software and hardware Quality Control go down the toilet. Their reasoning to remove the headphone jack on the 7 was dumb as hell, "courage." Oh, please.

I utterly love the Apple Pencil. Best bit of tech they've released in a very long time. I am waiting on a serious sale on the iPad Pro 12.9" before I buy another one, I don't want to pay more than $700 for the 128gb IPP, warranty and the pencil. Hopefully Best Buy will do something like this around Black Friday.

So I used to utterly love Apple, now I couldn't care less about their fashion first, function second $$$$ rush-to-get-it-out ethos. I just want my tech to work without bugs, lags or screw ups, like it used to.

11. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Also some strong language in this one:

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    KnightWriter:

I'm desperate. Anyone that knows about Apple stuff. My phone is on the verge of dying an incredibly bizarre death. It refuses to take a charge, except on very rare and apparently random occasions. I've tried all different power sources (laptops, desktops, car ports, wall sockets) as well as three different types of cords (a first party, two different third party). There's no guaranteed formula that works, the Apple store technicians can't find anything wrong even on dis-assembly, but they've seen the problem.

I need the thing for work. I was on the verge of throwing it away today when it started to charge. However, it won't let me back it up, which is something I've never done before. I have no idea if it will keep charging or how long the charge will last. Is there a way I can make it accept a back-up protocol? Come through for me someone.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It is not losing its cult status for me. I am a full blown Apple druid at this point, pointy hood and all. I just look like a tall Jawa while typing.

[​IMG]

Darthmaul208 and Master_Lok like this.
  14. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    So I've read up on a few articles that indicate that despite the (admittedly muted) public shock at the 2012-13 revelation that Apple uses underage and sweatshop labor to manufacture their products, little has changed in the way the US's "most valuable" company handles that end of their business. Despite the addition of suicide nets to keep laborers from killing themselves on property, Apple still maintains the same deplorable/unethical assembly line practices.

I'm aware that other manufacturers (LG in particular) aren't much better. But why so much apathy in the west for how Apple (a company seemingly worshiped by many Americans) makes its iPhones (etc)? Are Americans really so indifferent/selfish--or is an issue of being generally uninformed? Even the suicide-net stories didn't last long in US mainstream media--and they were quickly forgotten by the general public.

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    How old is your phone?

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    It's a 6S with the most current operating system.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Okay, so it's right at a year old, maximum. When you took it to the Apple Store, did they ensure the charging port was clear of debris? I imagine someone like you has all sorts of nasty stuff in your pockets.

And as it's only a year, did they not offer to give you a replacement at The Apple Store? That is their usual MO.

When you say it won't let you back it up, what precisely do you mean?

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I've made two separate visits. The first they blamed it on debris. The problem persisted. On the second visit they couldn't activate it and told me the phone was dead and would have to be replaced. It was out of warranty. My phone laid dead plugged in and charging for 48 hours. Then it suddenly turned on and begin charging again. I got two basically full recharge cycles. After that point it is not accepting charge on any outlet or charging cord combination. I have tried three other combos of first and third party that were not my own. It died last night but has suddenly charged again and now I have one full charge.

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Have Apple replace the battery or charging socket.

20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Thank you for your help. This has been a really frustrating experience and I appreciate you taking the time with me.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Jabba-wocky, when was your last backup? It might be worth biting the proverbial bullet and buying a reconditioned one from Apple to replace yours.

(OR GETTING AN ANDROID PHONE)

22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    By current operating system, do you mean 10.0.2? It sounds like you got a dud battery, but I take it you never bought AppleCare + with the phone? That said, I recommend you email Tim Cook (no, really.) If you have the 'genius bar' work receipts and the original proof of purchase receipt, that will help your case. I've heard of some users talking about dust and debris inside their iPhones but not to the point where it disrupts the battery etc.

And while I don't praise Apple as I used to, they did unlock my iPhone after it was infiltrated during the Yahoo mail hack. Took several days but worth it.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Emailing Tim Cook is not bad advice.

Never underestimate how little a CEO wants to receive a complaint. Squeaky wheels getting grease, and all that.

Master_Lok likes this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    As it turned up, the phone company I get the device through had us up for an upgrade in any case, so I was able to do an end run around the problem.

Having all this advice was great, though. I was feeling discouraged as it regarded this whole situation, and at least knowing that there were all these different avenues to keep pursuing a solution was an encouragement. I know it's a very small thing, but moments like this--how willing you all were to help, I mean--really reinforce the community aspect of this place.

Ender, I don't like Apple very much, but I'm not the one in charge of these decisions. So I just have to sort of live with these products.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah right, yes. Work phone, right? My mistake.

Don't you have administrative staff to sort this out for you?