main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the D20 Star Wars RPG Dead?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Satyrgreen, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satyrgreen

Satyrgreen Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2005
    It's been almost a year now sinse the last D20 SW release, just wandering if anyone knows whats up, is it now dead?

Are we only left now with the miniatures?

2. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Sadfully, I think it is. Maybe WEG could get the liscense back, though I don't think that would do any good as the original "dream team" that did the original publications no longer work there...

3. Scythe14

Scythe14 Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2005
    Actually, I recently went to the WOTC website. They are making at least a Byss and the Deep Core book.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Nope, that was just a web feature.

The Star Wars RPG is, as far as we know, frozen. There are no new books being published this year.

5. Scythe14

Scythe14 Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2005
    Oh, that was planet hoppers. I feel really stupid now.

6. Rolic_Charon

Rolic_Charon Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2001
    I hope not. They are still making publishing runs on books, so that is a good sign. The last publication i think was the Hero's Guide. Other than things like maybe a Episode III WebFeature they really have everything covered. Between the Core Book, Power of the Jedi, and the Hero's Guide. If they would make more books, I dont really know what they would write them about. Although i would like to see a new revamped book on ships.

7. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    i agree. a revamped ships would be nice. it's kind of disappointing though, hope they start back up.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sadly, you're maybe right.

I think the Golden Days of WEG are over. I remember the AOL SWRPG list's heyday, but there's been nothing like it since...

//laments

E_S

9. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    I think right now a lot of people are focusing on the Star Wars Mini's over at WotC which is why we haven't seen much in the way of Star Wars d20 products lately. It really is a shame because this isn't the first time I've seen this topic come up.

Hopefully we'll get some material for Episode III, maybe even a continuation of where they left off with NJO. At the very least it would be great to see an updated Starship book come out.

A Clone Wars source book might even be nice...hmmm

10. jedi_pariah

jedi_pariah Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    Star Wars RPG is dead. The only place left to find new stuff is on forums such as these.

11. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    i think the wizards of the coast rpg is dying quick with no recent releases, some things desperately need updating but I don't think it'll happen. I still think the WEG game is better, personally, but thats my opinion :)

i'm considering selling all my WotC books to fund my search for WEG stuff on ebay and the like :p having not played any kind of RPG in the past, I found the WEG game easier to learn than the WotC version,

12. Rolic_Charon

Aug 14, 2001
    Thats not true Pariah, the guys at Wizards do release stuff occasionally on the site. And the "Force Counciling" articles always have neat little addons and erratas. I agree with the above statement that WotC is on the Miniature Bandwagon for the time being. But like most things it will die out. Kinda like back when all the Card games came out. Eventually all the Crazy go nuts games died out and we were left with Magic the Gathering. So i say give them some time and we'll see whats on the agenda for next fall. On a plus side, the Mini game is great for battles on a 1inch grid. I have a fleet of Stormtroopers now.

13. fanboymt

fanboymt Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    I had a chance to talk to the Wizards folks at C3. They did confirm they have nothing scheduled for this year, but they had "plans" for next year. They said they were waiting for ROTS. The fellow I talked with did the wink, wink, nudge, nudge confirmation of the rumor I've heard that ROTS will make them have to change some things and we may be looking at a new version of the game on the horizon.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I can confirm they will likely have to change/modify some of the existing rules after the movie.

//sigh

15. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    So does that mean there will be a Revised Revised Core Rulebook. Or will they completely screw with us and generate a second edition and put all the books out again updated with second edition rules?

16. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    probably the latter, which could be why a) we havent got an ultimate NJO source book, or ultimate starships, perhaps even a new DSSB too

17. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Or maybe via Jedi Counseling.

BTW, dp, I'm spoiled as hell and I don't know exactly what are you talking about. [face_worried]

Some HTR info about what rules should be changed would rock. //hint

18. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
  19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    You know, dp4m? After reading all those ROTS review up at TFN, I believe you should write your own. A RPG oriented one, of course.

"I can't believe Lucas let Grievous' player get away with that very definition of a munchkin. And don't get me started at Anakin's use of Bluff, or Obi-Wan taking 20 for an attack of oportunity! And to think Lucas used to be a good GM back in the 70s!"

20. fanboymt

fanboymt Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2004
    I agree, we'll probably wind up seeing a "second generation" version of the game. From what I've heard and seen (spoiled to the max here too!) thats really the only way to handle it properly.

21. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Yeah i agree with schawtz. I want an rpg sentric review from dp4m.

Just to let evry one know that there are 2 new prestiege classes from kotor2 up at wizzards of the coast.

22. Satyrgreen

Satyrgreen Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2005
    I have to say, as much as it sounds like a pain to have to start over again with a new version of the D20 RPG, it does make alot of marketing sense.

They have let the game sit for over a year with no releases, and not a peep of promo on the new movie to tie in with the game, so, sometime next year when all the movies are out and on DVD and the whole thing is complete..... Bam The Star Wars Role Playing Game!!!

All new all complete and a whole lot more to spend your money on.

Anyway, makes sense from a marketing point of view, I guess we'll see.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    They have let the game sit for over a year with no releases, and not a peep of promo on the new movie to tie in with the game, so, sometime next year when all the movies are out and on DVD and the whole thing is complete..... Bam The Star Wars Role Playing Game!!!

And once they start the TV series... has anyone seen the Babylon 5 RPG Season Factbooks? [face_batting]

24. Rolic_Charon

Aug 14, 2001
    Maybe they will have trade in's like old cars. You trade in your stack of Revised and Original Edition Books and get the Newly Revamped Post-ROTS Books cheaper. lol. Yeah right. My poor poor wallet.

25. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    I can confirm they will likely have to change/modify some of the existing rules after the movie.

//sigh

Please don't tell me it has to do with LFL's/WotC's definition of the Force.... [face_plain] :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.