main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the D20 Star Wars RPG Dead?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Satyrgreen, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    But enough for a new stuff for a new core book?

For WotC, in terms of profit, it does make sense to put out a new core book and then to follow up with "revised" every thing else...man I'm going to be bankrupt...

2. Tage

Tage Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2005
    Wizards of the Coast is, ultimately, a corporation out for money. Right now they're raking it in bigtime with all the new D&D books, with new ones coming out every month. People are willing to buy two or three new books at 40$ a pop, so Wizards is going to keep flooding the market with Dungeons & Dragons as long as they can. As soon as sales start to dip, they'll pull back from D&D and focus on something else. Maybe Eberron, maybe d20 Modern, and if we're lucky, Star Wars.

Also, with the new movie coming out, you might see an interest for the Star Wars RPG spike just enough to prod Wizards into releasing some new source material. It's not very likely, as any interest triggered by the movie is probably fleeting at best, but you never know.

Ultimately, the Star Wars RPG is on hiatus, much the same way Family Guy was. It's not dead or cancelled, and it is certainly still making Wizards money, or else they would have sold it off by now or officially cancelled it to save production costs.

3. Masterskippy

Masterskippy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2005
    As a veteran SWRPG (WEG), and a zilch player for the WoTc version because I just never got around to playing it, because most of my friends quit playing RPGS by that time.

When I was heavily playing RPGs, it was basically because of WEG SWRPG. Our campaign started right when Tim Zahn released Heir to the Empire. We played for three RL years, and spanned from about six months after ANH to about the beginning of the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

WEG released a plethora of stuff anything and everything a Star Wars fan could possibly imagine, from adventures, sourcebooks (on pretty much everything). Heck, even the sabaac rules were in one of the adventures. I remember authors like Tim Zahn and Kevin Anderson used the RPG for ideas, and great insight into the expanded universe.

The main thing to remember is that Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game was the flagship game system for West End Games. Of course, in comparison, WoTC had card games and other systems long before they bought out TSR and adopted D&D from that acquisition.

I hate saying it, but unlike WEG's ability to churn out adventures/sourcebooks virturally every month, WoTC (even though having Slaviseck and crew from WEG), it's not their main focus...:(

4. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    wizards is too busy putting out the minis right now. i know not everyone is thrilled with them, but at least they are doing something.

5. HansHunkyChest

HansHunkyChest Jedi Master star 1

Oct 6, 2003
    While I've been itching for some new SWRPG books I'm sort of glad WotC decided to hold off on a lot of material until after RotS. There's a lot of areas the RPG hasn't been able to go because they couldn't step on LFL's toes with regards to sotryline and whatnot. Now that there's a defined end of the Clone Wars and a clear story of how the Jedi purge went down there's far more places WotC can go with source material. There's also new vehicles and creatures and characters to take into consideration.

6. Reinn

Reinn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    With all of the Star Wars things to come out in the next couple of years, you can expect more stuff left and right. I can imagine a Star Wars the TV Series sourcebook...although I'm going to stay as far away from anything related to the Star Wars TV show as humanly possible. Crappy television shows killed Star Trek and destroyed its magic in my eyes, I won't let the same thing happen to the only sci-fi series that has consistantly held my attention.

7. Kakkaraun

Kakkaraun Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    God, I certainly hope so. WotC SW is an affront not only to Star Wars but to roleplaying. My hate for WotC, and especially the d20 system, is unbridled. Certainly it would suck to not have any new SW RP material, but I think that it's actually better to have nothing than to have the money-grubbing spewpiles that WotC was defecating all over the place.

8. Darth_Terminus

Darth_Terminus Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    "Crappy television shows killed Star Trek and destroyed its magic in my eyes..."

I thought Star Trek was a crappy television show first...

9. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    snap <G>

Although star trek TNG was bloody great, DS9 and voyager though... and enterprise :eek: poo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.