main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the Dark Side is more powerful?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by msb0014, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msb0014

msb0014 Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    I was wondering... as Darth Sidious/Palpatine says in EP III: "Learn to know the Dark Side of the Force, and you will achieve a power greater than any Jedi." I think that's true.

Notice that the Jedi have a cloudy time seeing the evil around them? (Palpatine/Emperor, Anakin etc.) Why, if they are 'visionaries'

I mean Luke was getting the beat down in ROTJ.

Just a thought

2. Runecrow

Runecrow Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2005
    Lucas said yes (PT commentary); Yoda said no (TESB).

I believe Yoda.

3. ledlevee1

ledlevee1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    well, as we find out at the end of Revenge of the Sith, none of the light side jedi, other than Qui-Gon, was really using the force to its full potential. They were all flawed in their perception and use of the force. I think Yoda and Obi-Wan both have a better understanding in the OT thanks to Qui-Gon's teaching, and they are able to teach Luke how to use the living force, and not the by the book force of the PT. This, I think, is what leads to Luke being able to defeat the emporer. Luke does defeat the emporer after all. His defiance and refusal to turn to the darkside is part of what leads Anakin to come back and kill Palpatine. So yes, the light side is more powerful. The enitre saga shows Yoda's words to be true. In the PT, we see how the Dark side is quicker, easier, and more seductive. But in the long run, the light side triumphs because the sith are ultimately destroyed permanently, once and for all. The light side lives on in Luke, and the force ghosts of Yoda, Obi Wan, and Anakin.

4. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    Lucas actually said that the Dark Side was more powerful?! That would be weird to hear. How many people talk about evil being more powerful than good? Plus, everything in the films go to suggest that the "light" side of the Force is stronger.

5. monarque1972

monarque1972 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2004
    I think lucas meant in a fight.

6. MilesTeg

MilesTeg Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    It depends on the Jedi wielding it.

7. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Moving to Saga.

8. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    This forum has had this exact topic before in the past.

As I recall, my response back then was that neither is more powerful. They are just two opposite sides of the same thing. It is up to the individual using the Force, to determine just how powerful it is.

-Seldon

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    No, neither side is more powerful, although the Sith prides themselves on thinking that the Jedi Order is the "weakest link". The fact is that neither side is more powerful than the other. The Dark Side feeds off of anger and temptation. That's the path many want to take, so therefore, that gives the Dark Side a little promotion.

10. tephjo

tephjo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    Its quicker and easier. Thats all.

It will let u become better then u should be at the time, but it wont give u any power that u are not capable of earning as a jedi...in due time.

11. kainangmar

kainangmar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2005
    If you're looking for power, the Dark Side is your best friend, but it twists your perceptions and ultimately leads to death and destruction, both your own and the people you love. The Light side will never do this.

12. SonIke

SonIke Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Not to get all "New Jedi Order" on everyone but the difference between light and dark side is completely ideological much like the difference between good and evil. There is no difference it's all one force. the difference comes in intention and how you apply the force to your life. sith have far more insidious intentions and are seen as a darker(key word) more sinister group of individuals. So they use the force for self gain and personal improvent as well as acquisition of power. These ideas are seen as evil or dark if you will. The jedi are seen as the vangaurds of peace and justice, generally good and light(another key word) hearted. They use the force for aid of the community and of others. To always help those in need for the sake of helping others, which on a side note is why jedi must be apathetic otherwise they would be heling for selfishe reasons, these are seen as good ideals. So the difference between light and dark is ideological. Who is more powerful depends on the user and their understanding of the force.

13. TheDrunkKid188

TheDrunkKid188 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    I think that the dark side and the light side are people who have different ways of percieving the force and the reason that the Dark think that the light are weak is because of their self-restriction and want to not spill blood unneccesarily. Much unlike the dark side.

14. Kal-El1970

Kal-El1970 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    It will let u become better then u should be at the time, but it wont give u any power that u are not capable of earning as a jedi...in due time.

Well, I can honestly say that I've never seen a Jedi throw lightning. That's only a sith power, and a very powerful one at that. I have debated this question long and hard over the years and most recently subscribed to "the dark side is more powerfull" theory. Now that Sith is out, I'll have to take a look at the saga as a whole and re think my opinions.
    I'll give two arguments in favor of the dark side for now, do with them as you will. As they are only my opinions, and this is my first ever post here don't kill me please. I respect anyones and everyones right to disagree and welcome any comments pro or con.
    1. Luke and Vader are pretty well matched at saber dueling. Vader mentions turning Liea to the dark side and Luke flips out and is able to overpower Vader and cut his hand off. "Good, good. your hate has made you powerful." Quick as it is, it shows how intense emotion can channel great Force power.
    2. Obi-Wan could sense the Force in Luke. Qui-Gon and the rest of the Jedi Council could sense the Force in Anakin. Vader could even sence the Force in Luke from his Tie Fighter. That being said, how is it that no one, including the great Jedi Master Yoda, could sense the power of the Dark Force in Palpatine. Palpatine could stand in the center of the Jedi Council chambers, encircled by Jedi Masters, and not a one of them ever sensed anything. When Anakin finally tells Mace his discovery, Mace is quite suprized. Although toward the end, the council didn't trust Palpatine, they never supected him of being a Sith Lord. The ability to cloak your Force knowledge from others is an incredible power that no Jedi has. That is one of the reasons that Yoda and Obi-Wan need to go into hiding.
    I'm sure these two examples may have been mentioned before, but like I said I'm new here and haven't yet had time to search all the boards and happened upon this thread.
    May the Force be with you,
    Kal-El

15. Darth_Satus

Darth_Satus Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    well if the light side is more powerful than how can it be explained that the entire jedi order was over run by the sith?

16. Solo_So_Low

Solo_So_Low Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    both sides are equal, they are just used differently. light side for knowledge and defense, dark for attack and manipulation.

17. Kakkaraun

Kakkaraun Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    I don't belief the divisions exist within the Force itself, but come from the user. I posted a longer, more detailed version of my theory in some thread around here yesterday.

18. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I don't think that Yoda and Obi-Wan taught Luke anything more that they learned from Qui-Gon. Luke didn't defeat the Emperor because he had some extra insight into the nature of the Force that the old Jedi didn't. Actually, he did not defeat the Emperor, since the Emperor was suckered by Vader.

I think the moral of the trilogy is that if you're a Sith Master, you should always keep your Imperial Guards around you and not send them off while you are in the same room with two Jedi, who happen to be related too :)

19. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    no, quicker, eaiser, more suductive.

or as the dali lama would say "push button enlighenment"

quicker is not better

20. dark_jedi32

dark_jedi32 Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    I think the dark side is stronger, plus they can use force lightning. The coolest force power ever.
    I'm not too sure about light side folk using lightning, so I think the DS is the way to go

21. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    The force is the force. The only difference between the Light side and Dark side is the purpose it's used for.

22. Ghetto-Wookie

Ghetto-Wookie Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    I think the movies envoke that the Light Side is stronger only when you believe it to be...

23. LorD_-_ShaDow

LorD_-_ShaDow Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    When you're seeing a movie you always know that the good guys always win. I think that the dark side is a stronger force. I gotta agree with dark_jedi that the force lightning is the coolest.

24. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    the dark side is more suductive, as this board has proven. just because it "kicks ass" or is "the coolest" does not make it stronger.

yeah lightining is cool but yoda can deflect it. yoda and obi wan absorb themselves into the force. something the dark side could never do.

it's as old as david and golith. golith is physicaly stronger but david is smarter which makes him stronger.

25. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    People always think of "powerful" as powerful in combat.

Power has so many more applications that just in combat; there is learning, and healing, and killing, and teaching and using the Force to see the way to things... I think you get my point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.