main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Is the Dark Side Master and Dark Side itself fickle?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Homergreg, Jun 6, 2016.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The luck bit is Obi-wan's riff on Qui-gon saying that nothing happens by chance. And "May the Force be with you" is a blessing. But the dark side doesn't have a will as the Sith never speak of it. Not in the PT, the OT, in the animated ventures and in the EU.

2. Homergreg

Homergreg Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Nothing happens by chance, no such thing as luck both speak to me as the Force having a will and actively working in this story. So the Force didn't have a will until 1999? I saw the will of the Force from the beginning, and I've come to see the dark side as having a will as I've pondered the movies. Looking at what has been presented, and wondering why things are the way they are. I didn't wait until someone used the word "will" to see that it had one.

As far as the dark side having a will:

I see 3 different scenes , Anakin/Dooku, Luke/Vader and Rey/Kylo where a much more experienced dark character is suddenly overpowered by a lesser character comparatively very early into their experience with anger, hate, and why does that more experienced dark character wilt so quickly once that turn happens?

Why did Vader beckon Luke to release that Hate to destroy him? Such an odd thing to ask for! Maybe it wasn't Vader's will? Maybe it was the dark side's will itself?

The will of the dark side is why I see it. The dark side, always looking to better itself. get the new shiny, just as greedy as Palpatine. It's being shown to me in this story. I don't need to be told.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I never said that the Force doesn't have a will. Just that the dark side doesn't.

The Skywalker men are stronger than your average Force user. Both could only win by using the dark side to kill their opponents. Luke just chose not to. Rey uses the Force and she does use her anger, but Ben is also affected by having killed his father and an injury sustained from Chewie. Dooku is beaten because Anakin was stronger than him. Vader loses because his powers were diminished by his injuries.

He's encouraging Luke to use the dark side the same way Dooku did to him. Ben doesn't do that with Rey.

You're looking for something that isn't there. Even Lucas doesn't speak of the dark side having a will.

4. Homergreg

Homergreg Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I think the point of the Force from Lucas himself was that we are able to explore and see it depending on our own point of view. I'm expressing mine. You have to explain away my interpretation with your own. "Point of view" The Force is intentionally left vague, and I find that wonderful.