main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Is The Darkside Stronger? "

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by s0Lstar18, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I look at it like this...

We've all spoken to rude people over the phone, right? What is your first gut reaction? To be rude right back.

That's how easily the Dark Side flows. You don't even have to think about it. It sometimes even feels good to be rude right back.

Being able to control your anger and speak calmly to a rude person is much more difficult. It's that restraint that keeps you from the lure of the Dark Side, if you take my meaning.

Of course, this is a very simplified comparison, but you get the gist.

2. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003

No they're not. Let's look at the question: "Is the Dark Side stronger?"
    I'll answer with a question of my own: Which side won in the end? ;)

3. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005

Nicely put, Robal_Krahl.

4. SLASHAXL

SLASHAXL Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2005
    I know the fallen Jedi have the illusion that they have become more powerful than any jedi even master yoda, however i have always felt that what yoda really meant when he told luke that the Dark side isnt stronger is that through time a Jedi can become as strong from using positive energys, however at a slower pace.

Yoda was a match for both sidious and Dooku in the PT, yet he didnt use the Dark side. Mace windu was also a match for sidious, who by the way is one of the most powerful sith ever. I use these examples even though they are PT and ok they didnt actually defeat the sith but this shows that the most powerful lightside practitioners can go toe to toe with their darkside rivals and match them. I think the Darkside gives a boost of strength alright but i think it also give the user an illusion that they are all powerful. This is in turn is their weakness.

5. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    Yoda says No the dark side is not stronger...faster to join you in a fight..more seductive..easier

BUT here's the kicker

While the Dark side may allow a user to attain his potential faster, it is not neccessarily stronger...the same goes for the Light side. By virtue of how the light users attain their skills/power..it just takes longer to hone their skills but is not a determining factor to the overall strenght of the user and it is possible that for a Light side user that he/she never reaches their potential before death. Again, it does not mean that one side is stronger than the other. If you had two force users with exactly the same midichlorian count and physical attributes and the same potential....but neither knew the force...have one study the dark side and the other study the light side...the one who studies the dark side will grow faster and reach their potential sooner than the light side user...but later on when the light side user reaches their potential, you will find that the "power and strength" of each is the same.

6. SLASHAXL

Dec 25, 2005
    Nicely put Parparamia.
    I agree with what you said, Also the fact that the Dark lord of the sith has only one apprentice generally means that he holds out for the strongest possible apprentice or the most powerful apprentice.

While the jedi on the other hand look to recruit any new born that has force potential. Even if that potential is not super strong. This means that most Jedi although powerful beings don't have the kind of abilities that the sith have.

As seen in the movies only Yoda, mace and Anakin are in the same league as Darth Sidious.

Yoda, Mace and Anakin have huge force potentials, As does Sidious. So imagine if the Jedi had the rule of 2, and the sith recruited everyone. Anakin at the peak of his power was the master and say Yoda was the apprentice ( unlikely with age i know ). Id say the users of the lightside would look the most powerful.

Neither side is stronger, it really just comes down to the person using the force and their abilty / potential or midi-chlorian count.

7. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I think it's a bit like dieting. (stupid, I know, but strangely enough most people can connect to the topic.)
    The hard way (light side) would be eating healthier and working out. You'll get to your lower weight eventually.
    the faster and easier way would be swallowing pills and doing surgery. Lots faster and the same result much easier.
    BUT
    though the result outside may be the same, working out and controlling yourself are things you don't learn on the operating table. If you choose the hard way, you work on the source, you work on yourself, you become a different (better?) person.

Am I making sense?

8. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    I'd also add that the long way you mentioned above is much healthier as well. ;)

9. SLASHAXL

Dec 25, 2005
    I think we are all on the same wavelength. But im sure others will disagree. Because force lightning is a darkside power, some will still point out that the darkside is stronger. Force lightning is a weapon in its own right and is exclusive to darkside as far as we know.

Well ive seen yoda contain the lightning Darth sidious shot at him with his bare hands, so i think this makes our case stronger.

That is through time with the lightside a jedi can learn to counter / match the powers a sith can build in a short space of time.

10. Parparamia

Sep 17, 2004
    As with the Lightning analogy (which in some ways is correct) you can also draw a different conclusion if you look at the gun. Lets say you have two men...one good...one bad...both with guns of equal power. The Bad guy does not hesitate to shoot at the good guy with the intent to fill him full of lead. On the other side, you have the good guy who posesses the same power/strength with his gun but chooses not to use it, opting for a more defensive approach. The same is true for force users. Obi-Wan, Yoda...Mace...all posess the skill/force/power to use the "lightning" weapon but do not because it is the way of the sith and once you start down the dark path...forever will it dominate you. And hey..they were the good guys.

11. DarthCarcinus

DarthCarcinus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2006
    Let's look at it this way.
    The Dark and the Light are eaqually powerful. Each containing equal variations of the other. The end result of the Darkside is simple and quick destruction of the user, and of the victim. The end result of the light side is the simple fulfilment of the user and protection of the antivictim. So the bottom line with out being too philosophical.... they are eaqual, oposite sides of the same diadem. Simple as that.

12. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    What exactly is the "dark side"? Anger? Fear? Sometimes, both anger and fear can have a positive effect on a person . . . if utilized in the proper way. And sometimes, the so-called "light side" can have a negative effect upon someone. I think that it all depends upon the situation.

13. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Well Buddists and keyboard philosophists,

I'll take Yoda's word for it in the literal context. It's not stronger, it's quicker. In other words, its for the weak.

The dark side was a big fat lie anyway.

14. RamRed

May 16, 2002
    What is this inclination of Western society to polarize everything, especially morality? Dark Side of the Force. Light Side of the Force. Why not simply call it the Force? And I'm directing this question at Lucas, as well.

15. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Simple.
    Good vs Evil.
    It's called storytelling.

16. RamRed

May 16, 2002
    Really? It seemed that the whole "Good vs. Evil" aspect of storytelling was a little more complex in the Prequel Trilogy. Which seemed to bother a lot of people. And it also permeates the thinking of many within Western society. So, why is it so important for all of these people to engage in the polarization of morality and everything else? Is this a way to make life easier and less confusing?

17. Parparamia

Sep 17, 2004
    Politics....its whats for dinner [face_shame_on_you]

18. RamRed

May 16, 2002
  19. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Yes.

It's called escapism.

20. DarthCarcinus

DarthCarcinus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2006
    Well as a Pharoh once wrote.. there is nothing quite as powerful as those who don escapism and take a dip in denial.[face_laugh]

21. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    (Teeboo takes a rim-shot on his li'l drumkit)

22. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Many geat posts here!

I think that if I go and work out I can become so and so strong - people with a different built can become stronger than me. If I use steriods I can become stronger than what I could without those drugs. However, I may not hold up in the long run. Eventually it will catch-up to you. In effect, the dark-side may be a way of enhancing the midichlorians to be bigger buggars, but I don't think it will last. And besides, the ones who are naturally very strong will always be stronger than me anyhow - I may have greater muscles, but I'm not destined to beat them. And ultimately, Jet Li may not be big or strong - but I know I wouldn't want to face him...

Too many things play a part to say that the dark-side is without question stronger, as some people claim... I think Yoda is spot on!

23. RamRed

May 16, 2002

Thank you for being honest.

24. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Why wouldn't I be? This is a fact.

25. 694377

694377 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 24, 2006
    Yoda was quick to say "No" if you noticed, maybe he knewthat he was basicaly the stongest jedi on the council and also before "the dark times" and as he lost to the emperor , he has come to terms that he had to escape as the dark side most probabaly is stronger but since the was "a new hope", luke skywalker, son of anakin skywalker, obi-wan and yoda used him to turn Vader back to the lightside and to help kill his master even though vader wanted luke to help him in the first place to kill the emperor so the darkside can be broken.

yoda would have probably said yes, obi would have probabaly said neither is stronger of weaker.

but no one could deny that Luke would have been a good sith lord by turning to the darkside.

the darkside gives you power and the lightside gives you knowlege, both are basicaly even.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.