main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Heh execution heh

2. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

On the one hand, Maul survived a similar fall while cut in half. On the other hand, I would hate to see Palpatine alive again. He can be behind the plot as that is a must have for starwars movies, but make it a "if I die you.....' directive for the inquisitors

3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

You mean he just left instructions for others to do this or that if he dies? Seems difficult to imagine?

"Hey guys, if this kid I've brought to fight his Dad, if SOMEHOW and I know how this is going to pan out - I've foreseen the whole thing and it's going to be a laugh riot! But just in case, you guys take over the universe if I'm dead"

Guys " Huh? How exactly?"

Palpy "It's cool, I've written a book called "How to dominate the galaxy for dummies" it's behind the sofa, the one near the study, downstairs"

D'an likes this.
  4. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

What's the alternative? The single most despised EU story? Nah.

Hey guys, I plan to be immortal but if I somehow do actually die, whach the hologram recording from the holodisc in my office at *insert significant imperial controlled planet*

One RotJ later:

*bzzzzzzzzt* I'f you are listening to this the unthinkable has happened and I am no more. But the ideals of the sith must never die. Execute Order 67

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually it's pretty "Love it or Hate It"- there are many stories which are much more "universally hated" with nobody eloquently defending them.

I've never seen a big defence of Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine, or Jedi Trial.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Ambivalence due to neglect does not trump "hate". :p

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I've seen lots of "Worst SW novel ever" comments about those two though.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, Jedi Trial often takes a beating. But, the award still has to go to the invective hurled at:
    [​IMG]

ZAAAAAHHHNNN!!!

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Another "Love it or Hate It" author. Karen Traviss seems to get even harsher invective on occasion but is extremely popular with many Mandalorian fans.

The "Nobody loves their work" authors seem to be less high profile.

10. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Palpatine wanted to die on the DS2... everything was proceeding exactly as he had foreseen it, including his eminent demise. He was begging Luke to strike him down, completing young Skywalker's journey to the dark side.
    This was akin to Kenobi's "Strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."
    But where Palpatine's plan went ary was when Luke stopped fighting, dennying him a father-slaughtering confused and despondent Dark-Side-Skywalker he could easily manipulate, tutor, and control from the Nether Realms of the Force while he continued his quest for a more tangible immortality.
    When Vader threw him down the shaft, instead of Luke running him through immediately after killing his own father, Palpatine still had to become One With The Dark Side, but now he had no apprentice to whisper honnied lies to. It took him nearly thirty years to be able to find and train a suitable replacement... one who's primary duty is to reincorporate Palpatine into a new physical coil, a body more suited for eternity than the frail whither old man he had become...

I know, Darth Cornish and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    The old republic era EU that is far superior to anything in the movie sage have use Sith force ghosts.Think the new movies will adapt this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Problem is - currently the main universe is "movies + TCW" - and TCW Season 6 apparently confirms Sith can't become ghosts - Yoda sees one - but he says "Sith can't be ghosts - that's an illusion" and is shown to be right.

At least, that's roughly what I've been told.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  13. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Maybe you should watch Season Six...

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not sure if I have access to Netflix.

15. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Yoda does call Bane an illusion, but it isn't he who says the Sith can't be ghosts.

It is the episode arc, Pablo Hidalgo and George Lucas himself who makes it very clear that evolution to the state in which a Force user can not only "return", but manifest as a spirit is something very, very special and the Sith mindset is focused on the physical realm and the acquisition of power, wealth, etc. and they could not comprehend such a state of being - even powerful and wise Jedi couldn't consider it until Qui-Gon gained the knowledge.

There are no Sith Ghosts. Plageius' story isn't about resurrection, it is about trying to not die in the first place, because the Sith believe dead is dead.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The notion of "mind-body duality" does crop up a lot in the EU.

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    In ROTJ nothing went as he foresaw. Or do you think he wanted the imperial fleet to be defeated, to lose the prized Luke Skywalker and his own apprentice?

He was overconfident, plain and simple. Foresight powers, I think, are generally rather vague. They only seem to point at possibilities. It was Palpatines error to confuse them for truth.
    Unless maybe your name is Anakin Skywalker.

18. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I will just say that Yoda and company would have to believe that Sith cannot return from the grave. Otherwise their strategy in TESB and ROTJ would be a bit flawed or at least lacking crucial information for Luke. That doesn't mean the Sith will return though.

19. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    Going a bit deep here but, is GL insinuating that you have to 'believe' or have 'faith' in order for your Spirit/Soul to live on?

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  20. Darth Cornish

Darth Cornish Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    This makes a lot of sense if you consider the creation of Palpatine's character arc across 3 trilogies. For me the most obvious choice for the big bad is Palps as a force ghost. He is someone the audience is familiar with, and he continues to be the guy pulling the strings, but in a whole new way - he can use his influence as a force ghost to create more sith/dark jedi / inquisitors / whatever. It also creates a new kind of finale for ep9 - where the good guys need to figure out how to defeat a sith force ghost.​

darklordoftech and I know like this.
  21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yeah, but it only makes sense if it's what he managed to do in the Dark Empire trilogy, which was having an insurance plan in case his body was destroyed. It would explain the fearless attitude he had displayed while visiting the Death Star and allowing the events which he knew would play out. I mean, why expose himself like that and make himself vulnerable, when all had to do was leave with Vader and Luke and go back to Coruscant?

I would buy the idea of a Sith Spirit if he or she has only so much time to transfer their essence, and if he or she has to have a host prepared for the taking. So in a way the Sith could have this ability, but should only retain it until their spirit finds a living vessel.

I would rather have an essence transferred clone than a lingering Sith Spirit, any day. Cheating death in the temporal world is what the Sith would only crave, anyway, since in the end it's power over people and their world's resources is all they care about. Becoming a permanent Sith Spirit is in my opinion still considered death, which they're not interested in, because they would give up all things that make's their life so grand for them.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Supposedly he expected Vader to block the attack and would have lashed out with the Force if this didn't happen. When ROTJ was made the intent was not that Palpatine wanted to be struck down, because the whole thing about essence transfer and clone bodies had not been written yet.

23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    True. But in light of the DE trilogy (which may or may not have been Lucas' idea of cheating death) and the whole idea of one Sith being able to cheat death that was stated in the Prequels, the method of how the Emperor was able to do it is a great way of achieving immortality. It not only makes it possible for a Sith to do so, but there are limitations to that, as well. And it's these limitations that I find appealing, because it makes it possible for this Sith to be permanently killed. A Sith Spirit with the freedom to do whatever to defeat his enemies on the other hand sounds way too powerful. How do you defeat someone who's practically intangible, anyway? The whole idea is emphasized as something that the Jedi can only do, and if the Sith might be able to do the same diminishes the whole point of being good and selfless in the first place, which would also make it even less of a religion if that were to happen.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    "But if we work together, I know we can discover the secret."

[​IMG]

TEAMWORK

25. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

That is a good way of putting it. :)

I know likes this.