main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Jedi can survive falling great distances, Anakin dropped hundreds of metres and was able to grab onto Obi-Wan's speeder without injury. Couldn't Palps have done the same and grabbed onto something as he fell and Luke had enough time to drag Vader to a shuttle bay, so Palps equally could've gotten to a ship.

2. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Didn't Palpatine explode?

3. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Devils advocate here... I don't really believe this, but here goes. Sheev clones himself and sends the clone to the DS II. It's the clone that gets incinerated and not the Emperor himself.

Erkan12 likes this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking 5X Wacky Wednesday & 4x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Let's hope they don't have an actor named Flim trying to pose as the Emperor. :p

(Your theory was similar to the one speculated by some in the Hand of Thrawn duology, hence my comment).

DarthIshyZ and Dak Oolron like this.
  5. Stannis

Stannis Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2015
    perhaps.

6. Stannis

Stannis Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2015
    its possible however likely, i wouldnt mind.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I hope he's really most sincerely dead. It's time for new villains.

DarthIshyZ and Wildcatbarry like this.
  8. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    yes believe he is dead.

However I wouldn't mind a cameo scene from Mr McDiarmid talking to the villains via a holocron holo-image. That would be cool :D

9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes, he's dead. RotJ is quite clear.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Sidious disappeared in his cloak while free falling with Yoda on Coruscant, while the caveat being it was a vision.

11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    He's got to be. I don't think physical re-incarnation or transference to a host has ever been a rule discussed in the official film saga. Besides, the spirituality of the force, both light and dark, seems to dictate that the metaphysical transcends the "crude matter" of flesh and blood.

12. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    So this is where it all comes down to perspective; for me Mace Windu is alive, Darth Maul survived, and Boba Fett survived. None of them, logically, should be able to survive their wounds save for Mace, he was only hurled out of the window, I've seen far worse, my examples for instance. But Palpatine was thrown down into a shaft after being electrocuted, blew up, and then was obliterated with the destruction of the second Death Star. There's no plausible way he survived. Sheev is dead.

13. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    There's actually more potential for his involvement in the ST now than when this thread was created.

Pablo Hidalgo in 2013 did a chat (which I think was posted in here long ago) where he basically couldn't say if the Emperor was dead. He thought the blue stuff shooting up after his death was part of a shield that Palpatine hit on the way down, but in 2013 he couldn't be sure anymore. Now granted this was under the Arndt script period and he possibly didn't really know, but it was a rather strange response. Almost as if the idea might not have been resolved at the time or he knew that there was a possibility the story could end up being more of a conclusion to the saga.

At the end of 2014 the Tarkin novel was released. This is one of the few sources under the new canon that would be released before TFA hit theaters. In the book, there were chapters devoted to the Emperor. Several rather bombshell developments occurred in these chapters to which we're not sure how far it will resonate. The first would be that Sidious didn't really care about the Empire. It was a stepping stone. While he was a master of politics, the day to day goings on of the Empire were a distraction to his true goal. He wanted "influence of the ultimate sort" and wanted to "reshape reality." Before this, you would have said he wanted to rule the galaxy for a thousand years as a Sith Lord. Now you're looking at him wanting to be God of the universe. Aside from him being evil incarnate (as viewed by Lucasfilm), now he has the ultimate ambition.

There were other details too. The Death Stars weren't necessarily meant for the Empire's rule as much as Sidious wanted to use them to study the dark side.

There was also the revelation that below the Jedi Temple on Coruscant was a Sith Temple. Sidious turned this into his lair and planned to unlock the final secrets of the dark side within it. That Sith Temple resonated enough of the dark side to seep upwards into the Jedi Temple and blind the Jedi.

A few weeks ago starwars.com did a list of the 6 most significant events of the new canon novels and one was the revelation of a Sith Temple under the Jedi Temple and another was the display of Palpatine's power in Lords of the Sith. Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor type of thing.

Then there's Supreme Leader Snoke to think about. Some people believe there is a religious note to such a title. Could he be kneeling at the altar of Sidious come Episode VIII?

Also having Sidious be some sort of Sith God/Demon would probably give the writers the opportunity to revisit Yoda as a counter balance on the good side.

Could all mean nothing or it was groundwork being laid for the ST. Maybe it has to do with the new villains and they were just letting us know that Sidious was not ignorant of such ambition. But that's about where we're at with his character. They've given us enough to think about and yet it could all mean absolutely nothing.

14. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

Somewhere there is a quote from Hamill saying that if the ST was to be made that it would be more 'spiritual', and another quote from Lucas saying "The other one — what happens to Luke afterward — is much more ethereal."

Trebor Sabreon and HL&S like this.
  15. Minkowski

Minkowski Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2015
    i was under the impression yoda was dreaming, am i wrong?

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I was under the impression you were banned. I am not wrong.

[​IMG]

17. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Yes, he's dead. They won't rehash old villains.

Wildcatbarry and thejeditraitor like this.
  18. Jemik_Prenn

Jemik_Prenn Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2014
    I feel like the way they could bring him back is if they ever kind of brought the EU idea into play that there were complications when cloning force sensitives and say Palpatine had tried to clone himself using the Kaminoans to do this but all his clones failed. You could say Palpatine had an ancient Sith Relic with him on the Death Star 2 that would allow him to capture his force spirit/consciousness as a back up plan incase the rebellion did succeed. With this his spirit could be transferred into another force sensitive body. Maybe Kylo Ren is the re-incarnation of Sheev Palpatine, and it so happens he is the Son of Leia and Han. But i doubt this very much. I believe Palpatine and Plagueis, maybe even Dooku may be mentioned as well as Qui Gon Jinn, Mace Windu etc but doubtful as JJ seems to really be keeping from any PT references.

19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Wonderful, wonderful post.

Sidious' true intentions beyond the Empire were hands-down my favorite elements found in Tarkin. I'm quite intrigued by the possibilities they raise and I really, really hope to see these themes developed further in the canon.

Coincidentally, we discussed it a little bit just recently over in LACWAC:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...hread-spoilers.50029338/page-33#post-52496645

And of course there's been speculation about it in the Lit thread, as well.

Now, will we see anything come of it in the ST? As you say, there's no telling just yet. But I think you're right that, thanks to both Tarkin and Lords of the Sith, the evidence of the possibility of Sidious playing a major part in the ST at least exists now, where it may not have before.

HL&S and Immortiss like this.
  20. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013

I love the 'I AM NOT WRONG'. Who's voice was that in? It reminds me of The Batman at SDCC. The guy who said I am Batman, then they asked him his real name and he said 'Batman'.

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    And even if Sidious himself doesn't appear in the ST, his legacy could still play a role. Might Snoke want to complete what Sidious began? Might that Sith shrine be of interest to Snoke?

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    palpatine was also disintegrated by the ds power core.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  23. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    His UNLIMITED POWER is clearly quite limited if he easily dies from being thrown down a hole.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  24. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    his arrogance was his downfall... literally.

TX-20, Dak Oolron and Wildcatbarry like this.
  25. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    So we're still ignoring the fact Ian himself confirmed he is not coming back in any way shape or form in the new movies? At Celebration he said Palpatine is dead and there is no clone or any such thing.

Dak Oolron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.