main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Right, I got your point. I was saying the ideas of the EU were a mute point, especially if they are in contradiction to Lucas's ideas (e.g. ideas from the PT novels)..

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    ok

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Perhaps for you but since there is nothing in the films saying the dark side is destroyed as of the end of ROTJ I don't see how it could undermine anything. However, the heroes fought through the entire saga to defeat Palpatine so bringing him back would make all those efforts meaningless.

4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Even if the Dark Side exists, the Saga of Jedi falling should be over.

Toonimator likes this.
  5. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I agree. The ST could show that the dark side isn't restricted to some set group of people, but anyone can be tempted by it.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm not saying we should have Jedi falling to the dark side (although I have no problem with it) just saying I don't think it undermines anything in the saga the way bringing Palpatine back would.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I think it would undermine Anakin's redemption.
    I really hate the "everyone turns evil" approach that some fans seem to want.

kainee and Seagoat like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    How so?

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep. And since there are thousands of force-sensitive beings on various worlds, there is plenty of opportunity for a story of one of them falling to the dark side; the Sith don't have to be the only game in town.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It would mean that Anakin didn't redeem the Jedi and the Skywalkers, two things that in my opinion are major components of what was so important about Anakin's actions.

kainee likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin redeemed himself. The other Skywalkers and the rest of the Jedi had nothing to do with it.

I think it would be unrealistic to have Luke running a New Jedi Order in which nobody went dark. They don't have to join the Sith but we at least need some "dark" Jedi with questionable morals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Exactly what anakinfansince1983 said. Anakin redeemed himself but I think it's quite unrealistic to say he redeemed every single Jedi who will ever live forever and all time. That's putting way too much importance on his actions (and they're already important as is) that I don't think the films imply at all. The Jedi of the future are responsible for their own actions just like Anakin was for his.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    There's several places for darksiders to come from other than the Jedi.
    I'd say Palpatine staying dead places an awful lot of importance on Anakin's actions.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sure, but that doesn't negate the absurd lack of realism in the idea that no Jedi ever stray.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What's absurd is the idea that it's normal for someone to suddenly go from a self-sacrificing hero to a murderous, genocidal villain.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Jedi falling is like Martin Luther King, Jr. becoming a white supremecist.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Another Jedi might fall between the OT and ST but I don't want to see it happen again in the ST. We already had Anakin fall and Luke was on the Verge. Not again.

kainee and Seagoat like this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    no
    much better

20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    This. Especially considering that Dooku was only the 20th Jedi in HISTORY to fall to the dark side, then Anakin and almost Luke (so... 21.5?). I mean, granted, I would expect Luke's Jedi to have far less strict rules than the original Jedi, and that would maybeeeee allow some more temptation but... no thank you. Enough fallen Jedi

21. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Actually, the Lost Twenty were supposedly the twenty Jedi Masters who departed the Jedi Order of their own volition, typically over ideological differences, not necessarily because they fell to the Dark Side. Anakin was the self-declared "Lost 21st".

Anyways, going back to topic, as I've already made clear in the "Who's the Baddie?" thread, I'd much rather they avoid treading over old hat like a Palpatine return. He was killed already in RotJ, and if you take the EU into account, his spirit (and all his clone bodies) was finally vanquished for good in Empire's End. So I think it's safe to say he ain't coming back, or at least not physically. I do buy that new Jedi can certainly fall once again because the temptation of the Dark Side will always be there, it's just part of human nature.

22. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Just curious if all the people in charge of this next flick are considering the villain with as much detail as we all are.
    I sure hope so.

Still looking for a scenario I'm comfortable with.

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke is starting a Jedi Order from scratch. Hopefully not a planet with a Sith Spirit like last time but there will be Jedi that have brushes with the Dark Side. Hopefully not like Jacen Solo or Darth Vader 2 which was a complete rip-off of Anakin Skywalker in the PT. So hopefully no Darth Vader 3 or if so please make it different from the last two!

24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh, my bad : p
    But that makes it even worse! Not even 20 Jedi in history? Ugh, PLEASE no falls to the dark side in the ST

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If you can be tempted by the Dark Side, you shouldn't be a Jedi. Luke shouldn't train those with the potential to fall. And as I said, Jedi falling is like Martin Luther King, Jr. becoming a white supremecist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.