main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    IT'S THE EMPEROR! HE MADE IT TO MODERN DAY! AAAAAAA

3. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    It's funny, if no other sagas existed or the EU never happened, the Emperor not being dead would be a much more accepted theory.

1) We were introduced to the possibility of using the dark side to cheat death.
    2) The Emperor did not give off one signal that he planned on giving up the throne soon in ROTJ. No need to replace Vader if you're gonna be dead in the next decade.
    3) He did appear to have exploded into dark side energy. Not many characters do that upon falling down a tower.

But a great number of the fan base have been exposed to years of the cloned Emperor in the EU. We've read or seen Lord Voldemort and his cheating death and reappearing some 10 years later. It's hard to imagine how the Emperor could still be a force to be reckoned with in these final three Skywalker saga installments in some new or original fashion that would make sense with what has been established.

Maybe it is just as simple as he can cheat death and in order for us to have three more entries to this particular story, we're going to have to accept that. Or maybe he is dead and they plan on making a new villain at the 11th hour? We'll see.

kainee and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  4. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Hey Hook, it's been a long time!

I think the majority of fans would accept it, they wouldn't have read the EU and been exposed to a clone etc.

Anyway, just an interesting thought.

5. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    HookLineAndSinker, if we're working from the OT, maybe. But so much of the 6 movie saga is based on ending this jerk.

Frankly, Palpatine ( ;)) 2.0 just doesn't sound that compelling, and doesn't have any of the inherent mystery that Voldemort had in the HP saga.

6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah... let's recall the story arc that spans all six movies: In TPM, Anakin is prophesied to bring balance to the Force and destroy the Sith, which he does at the end of ROTJ. I doubt that Lucas will destroy that story arc just for the sake of bringing a villain back.

Unless Anakin will be brought back as well, and ghost Anakin destroy ghost Palpatine? Boy that sounds hokey.

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Well played. :D

Jedi Merkurian and LawJedi like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Voldemort was disintegrated into a miniscule form by a magic spell that bounced back on him. He wasn't really dead, he just lost power.

The Emperor coming back would be like J.K. Rowling making a Harry Potter 8 taking place at the time of the Deathly Hallows epilogue, and having Harry's scar suddenly start hurting again because he's been resurrected. That would be lame.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Your Emperor is dead son, accept it

CoolyFett, kainee, Lady_Misty and 6 others like this.
  10. serso

serso Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2001
    "He tought his apprentice everything he knew and then his apprentice killed him in his sleep"

So what if Palpatine did know how to cheat death? It would still be a cheap way but not impossible ;-)

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    When Anakin asks about it, after Mace is dead in RoTS, Palpatine says "That power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret"

Suggesting he lied about the apprentice learning everything Plagueis knew.

12. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    That blue flash was actually him entering hyperspace...
    I really love that Robot Chicken Episode, there he ended up on the windshield of the Falcon and thereby escaped the explosion only to be frozen stiff in space (naked LOL).

Veloz and THE PortmanLuvva like this.
  13. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    I think even if the emperor survives to episode 7, (which he won't), everyones gonna want to know how he survived and i don't think the emperor is the kinda guy to rabbit on about how.
    [Emperor voice]
    "Yeh,you shoulda seen it, Vader was all like, i'm good again and throws me into the pit, shaft, big hole? I.., im not so good with building regs, anyway then i remember the rope i left there for when i like to kill time abseiling. I grabbed on, got to the bottom, lit some fireworks to make those losers think i exploded and boom, escaped outta there on my trusty space scooter. I musta looked like a badass, yeh ahhhh..... you shoulda been there."

"Anyway, now witness the full power........."

14. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    This is such a good post.

Darth kRud likes this.
  15. GlueParkEnigma

GlueParkEnigma Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    The new villain may be (re)born of the force too

Live, Love, Learn & Laugh

16. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Don't forget about Darth Maul in The Clone Wars! Or his broher!

Yeah. Palpatine maybe had an evil brother. Valvatine.

kainee likes this.
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Or that it's not so much about what you know - Palpatine clearly understands the "main idea" - but about how much time you're able ( or willing ) to spend as a mad scientist recluse experimenting to get the technique right.

18. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    I most certainly hope he's done and dusted. I for one am looking forward to some originality.

19. Vale Man

Vale Man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    I for one, hope and expect they will take no inspiration from the kiddies cartoon show.

20. Barra_Jedi

Barra_Jedi Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2002
    From what I remember of the novel was that Vader didn't feel Luke was ready to kill the emperor yet. He wanted Luke fully turned to the dark side first, and Palpatine, he felt, was needed to fully turn him.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I hope so. New villain please.

22. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    Wouldn't have mattered. Obi-Wan cut Maul in half...:D

krtmd likes this.
  23. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    No, the emperor is not really dead. He lives on in all our hearts.

kainee, Darth Chiznuk and Veloz like this.
  24. Darth Dru

Darth Dru Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    The Emperor (aka Darth Sidious) is physically dead and gone. He will not be in the ST as an active living character in the story, but there is a possibility he will appear in flash-back scenes, or possibly in spirit-form similar to the way Obi-Wan and Yoda appeared in the OT.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Palpatine's evil cousin Frankentine will come for revenge against Luke.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.