main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Some quotes from McDiarmid in this report:
    "“There’s been all sorts of rumors. No conversations have been had, and no deals have been struck. And anyway, I’m dead…but I could be resurrected. Yes, I’ve heard of ghosts, I’ve heard of clones. There’s all sorts of possibilities. But until I get that phone call, like the one I had before, I won’t believe I’m in it. "

"There might be some old favorites in it, but I should imagine it’s about the adventures of the descendents of the first characters and new villains that no one except George has ever imagined."

More at the source
    http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/08/24/star-wars-episode-vii-ian-mcdiarmid-addresses-emperor-rumors/

2. King_Crimson

King_Crimson Jedi Padawan star 1

May 19, 2013
    Ruh roh. That doesn't look very good for my theory. I'm sure he would've been contacted by now to work out a deal if he was involved.

Crap.

I just don't know about a brand new threat. Don't know how they're gonna top Vader or Palps. An offspring of Luke seems forced. A "secret" apprentice of Palpatine just doesn't make any sense. Maybe the Darth Plageuis thing is the best available option. Would be cool to see the guy that taught Palpatine, I suppose. But he would have had more involvement in the OT if he still existed in some sense. (and the PT for that matter). And then why would he have waited another 3 decades after Palp's death to do something. Eh, I don't like it.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I have no concerns about them "not being able to top Palps/Vader."
    Just because we currently can't imagine it, doesn't mean it can't be done. One would even argue that that's the exact reason we have storytellers - to show us things we can't even imagine ourselves.
    Besides, it's not about going about making a "better" character than an existing one. It's about making a new one that works the best within the context of the story they have in mind. And that story can be pretty much anything.

4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Why would Darth Ian confirm if Palps return is meant to be a surprise?

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I don't know, but I'm considering that Anakin is not the chosen one. There is another. We need three things in order justify a ST and to continue to saga that began in TPM : A Chosen One, an unfulfilled Prophesy, and Sith.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I think this merits its own thread. Personally, Anakin has to be the worst Chosen One of all time.

In our PMs I mention that Lucas must mean the Chosen One prophecy to be ironic. As you point out, nothing he ever did really smacks of a messiah type. At least not how we view messiahs today, as positive smiling peacebringers.

Anakin is a messiah only Kafka or Beckett would write. Here is nature creating a monster to fix things. Nice job, the Force.

run_luke_run and Immortiss like this.
  7. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    It would make more sense if he were created by Plagueis, frankly.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Yes. It seems more like a revenge on Palps.

darklordoftech and Immortiss like this.
  9. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, and the Jedi and any potential challengers...all his enemies. Cue the Godfather music.

StoneRiver, darklordoftech and Dra--- like this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    There are the pleasures of the flesh. No steaks for you ghosts. There is also the fact that seemingly all the ghosts are capable of doing is talking with other force users - and that's it.
    Flesh and blood force users however have the ability to fight battles.

darklordoftech and Dra--- like this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Free will.

Immortiss likes this.
  12. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    If Sidious is back as a Force Ghost then why wouldn't Anakin be back too? Heck we saw Anakin at the end of Jedi already. I don't like this whole idea. I'd rather a Holcron scenario. But I'm also not wild about a new Sith being taught the Rule of Two (ugh!) by Sidious

13. L0RD VADER

L0RD VADER Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Palpatine back and Anakin dead: nullifies the whole Star Wars Saga. It won't happen.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Anakin will be back whether or not Palpatine is.

15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I never thought of that, but yes, Anakin is a pretty bizarre messiah. They don't usually blow up planets, they try to save people. And the force DID create Anakin, it was his dad.

I think so too. Funny that with all of the actors mentioned, Hayden hasn't come up. I wonder if they have talked to him about being a force ghost. I can't see them using anyone else, especially since they had Luke see him at the end of ROTJ.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I guess nobody cares about Hayden.

17. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I can see Disney/Lucasfilm being a bit hesitant to bring back Hayden because they probably know it would cause mass panic from the internet *Like Ben Affleck as Batman levels of fanboy freakout and protest*. I mean announcing he's returning has the possibility to outdo the madness THAT caused. I think Disney knows the freakout it will cause and might not want him back

18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I meant all of the actors saying they would like another role in the ST, including actors from PT, OT, and non-SW actors, and all of the discussion around whether they would be taken up on it. He is really the most likely one to get a role as a SW ghost (the most likely dead actor to return), but I haven't even heard if he wants the role, or if it has been offered to him. He seems to be silent in the media.
    I don't think that has anything to do with it; I think it is more that it would give away some of the story, since we would know Anakin is coming back as a force ghost. That is way different than Batman; having Hayden pop up for a few minutes isn't like having him be THE character in the story. Batman is ALL ABOUT Batman, there isn't even a parallel to him in SW.

19. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    His silence could be more telling than words.

Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd love to see something similar to what happened in YodaKenobi 's The Lands of the Dead.

21. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Well looks like the Palpatine rumor has been squashed. Has Latino Review backpedaled yet?

22. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Not yet. They'll just do the usual "Actors deny stuff all the time! When they deny it, it means its fact!" or something like that.

23. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I agree.

24. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I think so too. Funny that with all of the actors mentioned, Hayden hasn't come up. I wonder if they have talked to him about being a force ghost. I can't see them using anyone else, especially since they had Luke see him at the end of ROTJ.[/quote]

If Obi-wan comes back as a ghost then they better explain why Yoda & Anakin/Hayden aren't there. Maybe Anakin should have faded away after his goodbye to Luke at the end. After all he never learned how to be a Force ghost as Yoda mentioned to Obi at the end of ROTS. Anakin couldn't use the Midiclorians? How do Midiclorians work when your dead anyway???

25. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Judging by the nimbleness he displayed fighting Yoda in the senate chamber, it's conceivable that he survived the fall. The sudden rush of energy told me as a child that he was in fact dead. Since its all speculation and no one really knows, my money is on dead. His legacy? That's a different story! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.