main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I like it.

purplerain likes this.
  2. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I do too. It's consistent with what's seen on-screen, is in-character for Palpatine, and settles the old debate.

3. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, that is a big part of it. Thanks.

Dra--- and purplerain like this.
  4. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    If he's actually stronger after his transformation, it makes more sense now that he takes Yoda out so easily in comparison to Mace, right?

Immortiss and purplerain like this.
  5. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    [face_laugh] I guess so.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, and Mace is inadvertently complicit in making him more powerful.

7. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I'll tell you, one of the highlights of the PT for me is how gleeful Sidious looks when he fights Yoda. God I love it. "My little green friend." Hilarious.

Immortiss and purplerain like this.
  8. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    That's part of the brilliance of Palpatine. He gets his enemies to give power to him.

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  9. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    The exact quote in the novel is this:
    So I suppose you could say that Sidious' Force lightning was perhaps strengthened by absorbing it into himself during his fight with Mace, which could explain why the tendrils of lightning are greater and more concentrated when battling Yoda as opposed to Mace. Though the final blast of lightning he used to kill Mace was far more powerful than the tendrils he fired prior to his transformation/disfigurement. Of course, Sidious' lightning was already powerful enough to kill Plagueis by the end of the novel, so I imagine he simply has great control over how powerful it can be.

Immortiss, purplerain and Dra--- like this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    So basically Sith can go super sayian? If this is true the price of the transformation is hefty. Palpatine turns from a crafty manipulator to over the top evil laughing maniac.

11. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I love over the top evil laughing maniacs. But you know that.

It's make them lovable.

Edit: Or maybe I like the unbridled nature of Sidious. He doesn't repress any of his hate and enjoys glorying in it. I wish I could do that!

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I might if I knew why he hated the Jedi so much. Thus I am more of a Vader-girl.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Though I liked the concept of his transformation, I found the makeup in Sith subpar in contrast to the ROTJ makeup. He looks kinda bloated in Sith and the texture of his skin looks like a cheap foamlatex mask.

I wonder why we didn't yet speculated on his supposed impact in the shaft. He "explodes" far to early to hit the bottom. I guess his survival could be explained by showing in flashback that he, knowing his body would die soon, let go of his physical self (like Obi/Yoda), only that rather than vanishing, he exploded in that Dark Side storm (like hinted at in Dark Empire).

14. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    cackle...cackle...cackle....

Dra--- likes this.
  15. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Palpatine hates the Jedi so much because the Jedi have always been in the way of him becoming a Galactic Emperor. Still, I can't help but like the idea that when Palpatine says he's been waiting "a long time", he means 1000 years.

As for how Palpatine should look if he's in the ST, maybe I should put like this: ROTJ or pre-Windu?

Dra--- likes this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Very weak reason to hate someone.

Dra--- likes this.
  17. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I have to say, as much as I greatly enjoyed Darth Plagueis (and I did), one of the few things I'd rather not have seen was it's apparent nail in the coffin of the 'Palpatine has been alive for a verrry loooong time' (like 1,000 years long) theory.

Well, if he must be in the ST, I suppose that I'd rather he appear as a red-ish spirit, with a look based upon his ROTJ countenance.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, I would say Palps simply enjoys hating. He enjoys anger. He likes power. I think that's enough.

But there's also the fact that he's been taught to hate the Jedi. Isn't that why most people hate?

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    So his motivation is "evil is fun"? I think tvtropes even has a term for this.

Dra--- likes this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think a part of Palpatine's hate for the Jedi stems from the status they hold in society while he has to remain hidden. What right do the Jedi have to sit in their lofty tower and pass judgment on him and his followers and try to hunt him down. So I think he wants to cut them down to size and make them the ones who have to hide.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Would've been nice to see this in the movies. As it is now it is unfortunately only idle speculation.

22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Less an evil is fun view, than reality is flawed or even evil. See: H.P. Lovecraft. Or even Beckett's absurd world without meaning. Evil exists either because god doesn't care, doesn't exist, or is evil itself.

23. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Absolutely not.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    If Palps gained more energy from Mace reflecting his energy bolts back at him, imagine how powerful he is now after all the power he shot into himself tumbling down the reactor shaft!

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I love how it looks like this thread is going through the stages of grief.

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.