main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Georgia

Darth Georgia Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Its STAR WARS. He could very well be alive in some form if the writers chose to go down that path. I would be surprised but pleasantly so. Palpatine is THE villain of Star Wars. Having him survive or...be resurrected would make me happy

Erkan12 and Dra--- like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Vivat imperator in aeternum.

kainee and Dra--- like this.
  3. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    He's dead, yes. But he's going to be in a Darth Vader spin off film! I'd put money on it!

kainee and Darth kRud like this.
  4. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    For the first time in twelve years of posting here (uh...minus the last six...ahem), I have skipped to the last page out of disrespect for a topic. Sorry Lando.

They bring back the emperor, they lose fans.

TCW has pushed me to the brink with the return of Maul this season. Tho this weekend's Ep kicked arse.

5. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I should clarify, it's not something I'm hoping for, it's just something that could be possible and is interesting to think about.

How many hollywood films bring back the bad guy from the 'dead' - heaps.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Right, but what he has lied about were things that he was going to do or not do, not necessarily the deeper meaning of his stories. Those statements that he made about not continuing the trilogy were tied in to his dislike of the SW fanatics trolling him on the internet, that is a little different. I don't think those things mean everything he says is a lie.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I would like to believe that GL didn't intentionally lie, but just changed his mind and that what he said was the truth as he saw it at that time. People do change their minds, some more often than others. What would be nice would be it GL just came out and admitted "Hey, I used to think ABC, but I changed my mind." Something like that.

lazykbys_left and StoneRiver like this.
  8. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I wouldn't call any of them lies, but simply a changing of the mind. I'm perfectly fine with Anakin remaining the chosen one, but until it is made blatantly clear in the films I think it is entirely fair game. There is a reason they left a blatant loophole in the Revenge of the Sith film. Helps keep their options open. This discussion has been debated at incredible length in other threads already though.

StoneRiver likes this.
  9. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Just wanna make it clear, I wasn't accusing Mr. Lucas of lying.

I also like to believe it's truly how he felt about things at the time. Only to change his mind over time.

10. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The emperor was never alive. He's just a fictional character.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Most of it is changing his mind, but some of it has been calculated misinformation I think. I don't believe he ever intended to put SW on a shelf forever, I think he was trolling those who trolled him so hard on the internet; he frequently connected these 2 issues, i.e. "Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

But again, I think explanation for the deeper meaning of his stories is different than the sequence of events that he puts in place for the making and releases of his movies. His explanation regarding the "Chosen One" was quite clear and unquestionable in my view, but then I guess people can rationalize a different point of view regardless (e.g. "he just said that, but will change it later").

The fact that Anakin was born through immaculate conception pretty much makes it undeniable that he was the "Chosen One." Throughout history, in many societies and religions, that has meant the "Chosen One." We think of Jesus in this regard, but he is far from the only one. I think making anyone else the "Chosen One" would be a bit silly. Luke HAD a mom and dad. But as you said, this has been debated exhaustively elsewhere.

kainee likes this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So... wait... Star Wars wasn't based on a true story!!! :eek:

13. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Now I do agree making anyone else the chosen one would be pretty silly. Still not concrete for the films, but still silly. I think the purpose of the chosen one has been so vague that they could still do whatever they want though. Does the chosen ones purpose pass on to his descendants for instance. Was it really the purpose of the chosen one to bring balance to the force? What is that balance actually supposed to look like? Could it still be thrown back out of balance?

All that to say, I certainly agree to make someone else the chosen one now would just be silly, but they have left plenty of room to exactly what the point of the chosen one is. My guess is we have yet to be given the actual answer, and the destruction of the sith is merely a really bad interpretation of the prophecy.

kainee and Lee_ like this.
  14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Good points here. What Lucas clearly said about Anakin being the Chosen One would not be invalidated by this line of thinking, but the Chosen One's purpose could be different than what is thought ("misread the prophecy could have been"). I think, if fact, that is fairly likely, since conflict is not going to end after ROTJ.

kainee likes this.
  15. admiral_Jim

admiral_Jim Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2004
    Yeah I think it's possible....they could find a creative way of bringing back any character they like I suppose, I hope they dont though...would be lazy and cheapen ROTJ. I hope we have a completely new villain, completely different to what we have seen before, I.e. non asthmatic and surprisingly good skin for such a bad person

16. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Oh crap hadn't thought of that :) I hope we get to see Ian McDiarmid reprise the role. I'm not one of the many fans who balks at the idea of recasting, but he's just so damn good!

17. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

I just hope he's not the maniacal, cackling goofball from ROTS. That ruined his character for me.

18. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    After seeing him in "Lawless" -- he sure could have just focused his energy on Vader / Luke and pulled them down with him -- or maybe he was so surprised by the defection of Vader that he decided it was time to make a run for it.

I honestly would bet 99% no Sidious will ever appear in the ST -- but I have my 2nd-guesses to contend with.

Erkan12 likes this.
  19. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I think he's dead but I wouldn't be shocked if they go the clone route like the EU. I'd be OK with the clone but I think you should really just let the character go. I'm really hoping for something original. Something new and exciting. I'm going to be 34 at the end of the month and have been waiting for these movies. I want the sun and the moon not a rehash of old crap.

Erkan12 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  20. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It's nearly impossible for me to picture anyone else playing the role. His face and voice are so distinctive. I even had problems with the Revill Monkey Woman after ROTJ came out.

kainee, eht13 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  21. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    What? Ate you serious? I thought the Emperor was the best part of ROTS. He stole the show!

Darth Chiznuk and Seagoat like this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    When he was Chancellor he was amazing. When he was Emperor he had good parts but he did get a bit carried away. Palpatine in ROTJ was the best portrayal to me.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope he comes back as a punk kid.

24. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    On a skateboard

25. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    With a new tattoo and some cool shades