main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Good point, but the problem isn't with what Ian is willing to do, but what Disney is willing to pay for when it comes to a hologram. Yes, it's a big budget, but they also want to be cost effective, particularly in the wake of The Lone Ranger. So, it's reasonable to pay for Ian's work if it's some kind of continuing role. But just a hologram? I don't buy it personally. I think if Palp's coming back, it can only mean villain, whether ghost or not ghost.

Arawn_Fenn: Ghost City Reunion.

2. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    If there's one thing that is certain in life is that this film will be a huge success regardless of its critical response. Lone Ranger should never have been made, the most racist film made since rules of engagement

T-R- and Dra--- like this.
  3. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    True on the success aspect (I haven't seen Ranger because I was turned off by the fact that Depp, who I like, was playing a Native American), but supposedly Disney has tightened its budget on all films including SW for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, I just don't believe Ian would only play a hologram. Probably not even a lot of dialogue there to justify his presence.

As for all these possible force ghosts, JJ supposedly cut a lot of this when he took over the script, but if it does still happen, I believe there's only one possible explanation:

A visit to the Netherworld.

4. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Damn! Love me a good visit to the netherworld of the force!

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Tell that to the TESB DVD.

T-R- and Darkslayer like this.
  6. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Good point!

I'm not sure of the details around that. Was that related to the filming of ROTS in anyway? You know, they had the makeup all ready to go and all that, so it would have been a good time to add the ESB scene.

One other issue I have with your point: it's a living Palp via a hologram, with a decent amount of dialogue with Vader (I believe; I just watched this for the first time recently). Not just some recording of Palp. How long would such a recording be? Maybe it could be justified to bring Ian all the way in and make him up like Palp. But I'm still skeptical.

7. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    I think Ian would do whatever he would be called upon to do for his character's legacy in the saga. He strikes me as someone who doesn't let his ego get in the way of storytelling. If that's what it is, that's what it is. I'm not commenting on the idea, just Ian.

Darkslayer and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I don't disagree with that. But I'm sure he still gets paid a high rate. So if you're going to pay the man quite a lot for a few lines of dialogue. I think the writers/producers would ask this question: this is a lot of money for such a little bit of info; can't we get the info into the movie in a cheaper way?

See what I mean? You pay for Ian if he's doing something more important than exposition. Which is what I imagine a holocron would be doing.

Maybe I'm completely off base. I'm sure Diggs has a better idea of how this sort of thing works.

9. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    (This is just speculation but) I'm sure Ian would do whatever role there was that required him. He loves the character, it;s the one he's most well known for by far, he always seems completely supportive of the saga and I'm sure they could thrash out a deal that both sides were happy with (if it was felt he wanted too much money and it was a non-crucial role they would just write Palps out - but I don't get the feeling that Ian is like that at all from his various interviews).

I have no idea how big his role might be or how crucial Palpatine might be to VII if at all. Personally I don't think you bring him back unless you want him doing something fairly pivotal. I think if he's coming back it will be as a spirit. It could be a Holocron but then it really does just become exposition city (although I suppose Jor-El has shown that approach can also work) or a cameo, which is equally possible.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. CryGoneGin

CryGoneGin Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2013
    bluemilkcheesypuffs77

That's an...interesting accusation against that film. Didn't it portray a heroic Native American character?

11. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    The Lone Ranger fiasco isnt going to make Disney tighten the budgets on Star Wars or the Marvel films , Episode VII and Avengers 2 will potentially make Disney "more wealth than you can imagine"

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't know... I can imagine quite a bit!

danmcken and Darkslayer like this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    You'll They'll get it!

Dra--- likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.

Dra--- likes this.
  15. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Bringing back this thread in order to prevent others from abusing the Orphan with the Emperor.:p

Personally, I think Sith Ghosts contradict the current in-universe philosophy of SW. Transcendence is reserved for the Jedi. That's why Plagueis is viable. The writer linked him to midi-chlorians, a material form, in order to circumvent any prophecy and become immortal in the 'profane world'. My opinion only.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The only thing stupider than Palps coming back is the potential of there being a "Lady Vader" character. Really guys? Smoking drugs is bad.

Dra---, Count Yubnub and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Thanks, Immortiss. I tried multiple times to bring that thread back on topic to no avail. I agree in theory that the Jedi should be the only ones able to become Force ghosts, but I also think there could be different methods of achieving essentially the same results. Less natural methods, if you will. Palpatine would have certainly been looking for any path to immortality that he could discover, and even if it meant coming back initially in a non-corporeal form as a means to a greater end, I think he would have taken any path available to him.

Hey! I stopped smoking drugs months ago! I'm with you on Lady Vader though.

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought that was Leia? At least, she's called that by the Noghri. ;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Bringing this quote here, to avoid further derailing the Orphan thread:
    I agree, in a way. In fact, the Plagueis novel suggests that Sith spirits are relatively powerless, especially as compared to the Jedi Force Ghosts that seemingly transcend space and time:
    Sith spirits are essentially "trapped between realms." They are bound to the location they choose to haunt, and unable or unwilling to provide guidance to other Sith, perhaps due to the insanity of being tapped for aeons, or out of inherent Sith selfishness... Contrast that with the selfless Jedi Force Ghosts, like Obi-Wan in the OT, who continue to guide others long after their mortal death.

Bottom line is, Sith spirits should be in a maddened state, living a tortured existence, and ultimately powerless to affect the physical world unless they are able to influence a living individual... Hence, Sidious' (or Plagueis') spirit trying to influence the new Sith villain?

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Just imagining Lord Vader having sex with anyone makes my loins shudder in pain and agony.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    No problem...

I'm not so sure. I've always considered Palpatine to be an historical materialist, with the Death Stars and all. A Machiavellian politician with no time or interest to ponder the ether. Pragamatic and secular. Palpatine was too proud of his technological terror(s) and even Vader believed in the power of the Force over its form of destruction. Part of that 'more civilized age' I imagine. The Force, not as clumsy or random as a Death Star. :p Palpatine doubled down on the Death Star and lost his life. I personally think that's it for him. IMO.

Plagueis on the other hand...

StoneRiver and Dra--- like this.
  22. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I disagree. Palpatine may have gotten somewhat complacent, but he believed in the power of the Dark Side and seems to have but a lot of work toward the study and mastery of its secrets. I also think that, as he said, "All who gain power are afraid to lose it." I feel he would have been searching for a way to maintain his power, even through death.

23. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I agree. I can't believe that a Sith a powerful as Darth Sidious wouldn't have spent vast amounts of time studying the Dark Side, learning its secrets and how to control it. I think that it takes more than just since-birth Force ability to become that powerful. We saw him hold his own against Yoda, which is no easy task.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think they could easily pull a Voldemort with him and find a way for him to preserve his life and be brought back in time.

Even as a Ghost he could have influence over the new villain, which would still give McDiarmid a role and also bridge to the other trilogies where he was the villain.

25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Exactly. You have the physical villain, who's the imposing force like Darth Vader, and then you have the more ethereal Sidious in the background pulling the strings and trying to regain or even build upon his former power.

purplerain and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.