main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I really don't understand why so many of you are obsessed with reviving dead characters. I would prefer to see new faces.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not a good film.

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    If they bring him back I'll wear this shirt at the movie theatre:

[​IMG]

4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Nobody likes the essence transfer idea from Dark Empire, eh?

Why didn't Palps Force glide down to one of those catwalks, anyway? We've seen Anakin and Ahsoka do something like that in the Clone Wars, no?

Dra--- likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No.

Palps probably couldn't do it. Ahsoka did it because she's the true Chosen One and Anakin could do it because Qui-Gon, who had never met Ahsoka, thought he was the Chosen One.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How about Palpatine's spirit, but no body?

Dra--- likes this.
  8. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Yes, let's have Exar Kun be the villain of the ST... but call him Palpatine instead. Ooo, maybe they can make his Force spirit glowy RED instead of glowy BLUE! [face_clown]

9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Better as long as he plays second violin/mentor figure to the real big bad.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I have no problem with a spirit big bad.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I do because he was defeated fair and square and that should have some relevance.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    You'll love this thread. http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-pro-resurrection-thread.50013114/

Dra--- likes this.
  14. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    How do you destroy a spirit big bad, tho? Too many of these arguments in the past amount to "Anakin's spirit has to fight <Evil Spirit> in the netherworld"... thus making it another Hayden movie, bringing it back around to Vader being the end-all, be-all of Star Wars like Lucas claimed he was when he decided to do the Prequels and nix the idea of sequels or whatever.

I want the new characters to be the heroes... not the ghosts. Even if the new heroes have plenty to do, having the ultimate outcome depend on Ghost Hayden kicking Ghost Palpatine or Ghost Plagueis or Ghost Exar's butt feels all kinds of wrong & underwhelming & bad. Like Empatajayos Brand's spirit being the one to truly 'end' Palpatine in "Empire's End". Just...weird.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Exar Kun was alive and well when he destroyed Freedon Nadd's spirit.

16. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Okay, so you want Star Wars, Episode IX: Ghostbusters?

kainee and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    absolutely

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I prefer flesh-and-blood living characters. The couple of ghosts we had in the OT were fine but I don't see the point in an ST that is majority-ghosts.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Qui-Gon knows that true immortality is not in the flesh, but rather in the spirit.

kainee and Dra--- like this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't believe in immortality and don't want a movie about it.

Darth Chiznuk and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "Qui-Gon has found a path to immortality."
    - Yoda

Star Wars doesn't seem to agree with you, anakinfan. However, I don't wish to discuss personal views on immortality (although you're free to).

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I like the idea of a Palpatine spirit but the idea of a bunch of Force ghosts everywhere in the ST is not appealing to me at all and especially a battle between Force ghosts seems way over the top. If Palpatine spirit does show up I definitely don't want him to be the main baddie and I like to see that he is a complete wreck completely different from a Force ghost. A nice little scene like the one in the dark cave where the hero is tested would satisfy me.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Anakin turned to the Dark Side by looking for a way to stop death, which leads me to believe that trying to achieve immortality is a very, very bad thing, even in Star Wars.

"All things die, Anakin Skywalker. Even the stars burn out." Matthew Stover, the ROTS novelization

See also: Yoda's speech to Anakin in ROTS.

I'd say Star Wars does agree with me.

Maybe that means that Yoda and Obi-Wan were ****ing hypocrites for coming back as ghosts after telling Anakin that death is a natural part of life; I don't spend too much time thinking on that one, but I would rather that point of view become prevalent than Palpatine re-appear, which sends the message that damn, this Dark Side thing is worthwhile anyway because if I turn to the Dark Side, I won't die.

Didn't work out so well for Voldemort.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Qui-Gon achieved immortality. Explain that.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, he didn't. Qui-Gon is dead.

And if you want to focus on Yoda, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Force-ghosting as a good thing after Anakin's attempts at achieving immortality are precisely what led him to the Dark Side...as I said, the Jedi are hypocrites.

I don't believe that and I'm willing to overlook the Force-ghosting as a minor detail that worked in the story for the OT. The plot demanded that Obi-Wan sacrifice himself but still be able to guide Luke. The Force-ghosting itself wasn't important.

But I sure as hell don't want an entire movie full of Force ghosts, much less a movie in which dark-siders successfully "achieve immortality."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.