main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    I don't think Palpatine is pretty much done. But that doesn't mean the galaxy is safe from his influence, or consequently the Sith influence.

Palps could have had a secret apprentice, or something along those lines. I mean, if you consider that according to the books, Maul was running around as a Sith assassin before Plagueis was bumped off, it's not entirely unreasonable that the Emperor might have been putting some kind of back up plan into motion, in case Luke didn't turn out to be the Vader killer he was hoping for.

2. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

1. And your point is? There were sith.
    2. You asked why don't we bring them back. That's why. Sure there can be some sort of hipsters err Separatist in the ST but they aren't as essential as the Sith.
    3. Dunno, you tell me. Not anyone can be as smart and well informed as I am.

3. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Palpatine secret apprentice = ok for an EU piece of fan fiction or computer game. As an important plot device of Episode VII?..No. And a massive No at that. As for the Emperor having a 'back up' plan? I wouldn't dispel that totally. Palpatine new full well the nature of the Sith was for the apprentice to ultimately destroy their master, and then assume the role of 'Master' themselves. But it would not take the form as a secret apprentice. Vader (being more powerful than the Emperor) would've been able to sense this deception. Maybe a Sith power he simply didn't teach Vader. Hang on? I'm not making sense lol whatever..:)

dyous87 and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Much better idea than someone finding a holocron or some text and deciding to create a new Sith order.

dyous87 likes this.
  5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm surmising that the Sith home world may have a big part to play with regards to 'the main evil' of the ST. We'll have other bad guys, but the true threat will be linked to the Sith planet. I'm probably wrong lol

6. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    If the Jedi and Sith are the Ying and Yang. Than shouldn't the Emperor be able to become one with the Darkside?

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Should be, but lamentably the Force is no longer yin and yang. if that were the case balance wouldn't be the absence of the dark side. Interestingly, in dawn of the jedi it was possible to fall to the light side.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  8. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I could see Palpatine being the equivalent to Gollum in TLOTR. Tormented, demented, evil and wretched. Doing anything to get the 'precious' Empire back, but being the means by which the story is resolved, too. He fall's in the pit with a talisman that destroys the 'Ancient Fear' (Darth Plagueis) or something.

dyous87 and Dra--- like this.
  9. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I don't believe Lucas thinks of balance as total absence of the darkside. He's said over and over that both sides must exist for there to be balance. It's just that balance means more light than dark. The lightside needs its darkness or else it wouldn't be able to be aggressive or violent, like the Jedi. Pure lightness would be something like a pacifist who allows themselves to be slaughtered although their death might mean the end of the world. Or the food gatherer in the jungle who is unwilling to fight the tiger that decides to eat them.

We all too often accept the Jedi as pure beings of light, but that's not what Lucas sees at all. I've pointed out this lack of purity before by talking about the obvious fact that Jedi are militant. They carry lightsabers and cut off limbs when necessary. I said the Jedi are always a bit impure, if you really understand what a traditional binary opposition is.

I called them grey too, but I think that's misleading. If a Jedi who is in balance is something like 80 or 90% light and 20 or 10% dark, then I don't think we'd necessarily have to imagine that in imagery as a thick gray impenetrable sky. Maybe more like a blue sky with a couple of small dark clouds. Everyone can see perfectly, but there's a possibility of rain (violence).

A Jedi (or anything) begins to fall out of balance when the % of light and dark approach equal amounts. A 50/50 split would surely be imbalance for Lucas. A Sith, on this model, would look something like 80% dark and 20% light. This makes perfect sense when you realize the Sith actually have a noble (lightside) goal -- to maintain order in the galaxy.

10. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

An interesting idea. I never really hear Lucas say something like this...with all the destroy the sith and bring balance stuff, but I like this one. I also agree that the dark side is needed for balance. But yes, if the dark side is soo chaotic, then a 60-40 would be more balanced than the light. I think it was stated somewhere that Yoda lied to Luke when he said the dark side isn't stronger. It really is. Maybe that's why more light side is actually needed.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    My latest view on balance stands like this ... Ever done that old children's science project where you take a bottle of water and a handful of soil and mix the two together? Leave the bottle alone and they separate into light (water layer) and dark (sediment layer) - this is balance. Then the Sith come along and shake your bottle! Everything's murky, nothing's clear - out of balance. They keep doing this until someone kicks em in the n*ts and makes them stop!

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

So balance is when the border between light and darkness is clear?

Dra--- likes this.
  13. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    I think so. When the force is unbalanced you can't see the dark side coming. That's where their power lies, in chaos. Of course I could be wrong.

Iron_lord and Darth_Corvus like this.
  14. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Wow. This is awesome.

Gobi-1 and I know like this.
  15. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Hmm. I guess that works.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Where is it said that any Sith besides Vader cares about order?

17. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I think Palpatine is awesome, but please let him be dead.

In fact, if they bring him back in the ST, I may just reject the ST as fan-fiction and ignore it entirely.

18. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    One person's chaos is another person's order. Most people call this politics but those who have Force powers call this Jedi vs Sith.

19. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I still think he's a disembodied screaming force ghost. I believe Ian McDiarmid will return to the role of Palpatine in the sequel trilogy... However, I don't think we will see him at all in ep. VII. We may catch a glimpse of him in VIII, but he won't really come into play till IX.

20. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    I still think he's a disembodied screaming force ghost. I believe Ian McDiarmid will return to the role of Palpatine in the sequel trilogy... However, I don't think we will see him at all in ep. VII. We may catch a glimpse of him in VIII, but he won't really come into play till IX.

21. LottDodd

Oct 4, 2002
    The triple post was an accident due to my stupid phone... I apologize, and mods please feel free to erase the duplicates.... Thank you,

LottDodd

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Does any of this matter in a world where dead force users can appear as force ghosts?

23. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

Well actually it does.

The only ones who have come back are the ones who 'let go' just before or at the time of their death, becoming one with the Force lets them seemingly live on.

No Sith have ever appeared as ghosts (Vader repented and redeemed himself).

24. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    But Palpatine said that the Sith could achieve "unnatural" things with science. Jedi become immortal through the natural way, while the Sith (for example someone who has been the apprentice of Plagueis) could get around that with weird science and the Dark Side.

Iron_lord and darklordoftech like this.
  25. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

I guess you could count shooting lightning out of your finger tips as 'unnatural', it certainly didn't stop Padme from dying so I'm going to call BS on Sidious's spiel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.