main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the Empire really evil?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Quixotic-Sith, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    <<<<<I thought he meant the Rebellion's Academy.>>>>>

No, in the novel, it's explained in detail. Biggs comes back and talks to Luke and co. about how he's joined the Imperial Navy or something like that after graduating from the Academy. He than has a private conversation with Luke about secretly joining the Rebellion.

<<<<<why are stormtroopers patroling the streets>>>>>

Because they're looking for the droids, not because they control Tatooine....

2. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Hey, this thread had a do not resuscitate order in its wallet.

Nah, that was just a mistake on the chart.

The Empire didn't exactly seem to keen on upkeep. Everything looks kind of battered. I think most of their resources probably went to the DS.

We don't really see anything about this - we didn't even see Coruscant until the SEs. The only things that really seemed run-down were the Rebels equipment.

You have to love Monty Python

It's like the Simpsons - there's a line for everything.

I thought he meant the Rebellion's Academy. Didn't he meet up with his friend who went, when he was preparing to fly his X-Wing against the DS? Seriously, have I had it wrong all these years? If so, that could explain why Owen doesn't want Luke to go.

It was the Imperial Academy - Biggs was accepted than dropped out. I don't know the source on this - I think it might have been from the ANH novelization, back from when I read EU stuff.

Besides, them seemed pretty educated in the Republic.

Depends on where you go, I guess. I was under the impression that the opportunities to go for formal training were lacking under Hutt-controlled Tatooine.

Isn't that kind of like a arsonist putting out his own fire once it has consumed half a house?

Yes it is, but it's still the end result. Besides, the Empire wasn't the arsonist.

Well how about the Third Reich; was it evil?

Yes, but there are a variety of empires in which both good and bad occurred. I chose the HRE as a parallel because it was the first that came to mind with the same scope as the Empire. The Third Reich was smaller, less influential, and less pervasive.

3. Darth_IRS

Darth_IRS Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    We don't really see anything about this - we didn't even see Coruscant until the SEs. The only things that really seemed run-down were the Rebels equipment.

Well one thing is for certain, the Stormtroopers seem to have been given 20 years off from target practice. Whatever the reason, they are incompetent.

It was the Imperial Academy - Biggs was accepted than dropped out. I don't know the source on this - I think it might have been from the ANH novelization, back from when I read EU stuff.

All these years I've been wrong. :_| But it is the Imperial Academy where they train their future troops, in order to enable them to carry out the Empire's evil acts. I doubt Sids is funding the arts.

Depends on where you go, I guess. I was under the impression that the opportunities to go for formal training were lacking under Hutt-controlled Tatooine.

Regardless of whether or not the Empire had a permanent presence on Tatooine, I didn't see any educational institutions. So I fail to see how they provided something that the Hutts didn't.

Yes it is, but it's still the end result. Besides, the Empire wasn't the arsonist.

I disagree but let me try again. An influential person lives in an area with no fire department of any kind. He decides to become an arsonist and sets fire to a forest in order to compel the citizens to create a fire department. They do so. He is installed as life time leader of the fire department. He issues orders to his men that they are to set various fires so that the fire department is not discontinued due to lack of use. He informs his men that if they decline, he will have their family killed. They obey.

Now the fire department is doing good in that it is putting out the fires, but the fact that it sets them outweighs this fact. It's an evil organization.

The Third Reich was smaller, less influential, and less pervasive.

Yes, but only because people resisted. People who didn't have their minds clouded by the evil-doers.

4. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I disagree but let me try again. An influential person lives in an area with no fire department of any kind. He decides to become an arsonist and sets fire to a forest in order to compel the citizens to create a fire department. They do so. He is installed as life time leader of the fire department. He issues orders to his men that they are to set various fires so that the fire department is not discontinued due to lack of use. He informs his men that if they decline, he will have their family killed. They obey.

Now the fire department is doing good in that it is putting out the fires, but the fact that it sets them outweighs this fact. It's an evil organization.

Yes and no. Again, there are similarities and dissimilarities. Palps certainly is the arsonist, but he would have to set up competing and overtly hostile fire companies and then organize them into one giant fire company. In addition, he has to maintain that do it or else mentality, which keeps him evil, but doesn't necessarily translate into evil on the part of those following orders.

Yes, but only because people resisted. People who didn't have their minds clouded by the evil-doers.

They resisted the HRE empire, too, but were overwhelmed or eventually gave up, which is why the HRE is a better analogy than Hitler's regime.

5. Darth_IRS

Darth_IRS Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    Yes and no. Again, there are similarities and dissimilarities. Palps certainly is the arsonist, but he would have to set up competing and overtly hostile fire companies and then organize them into one giant fire company. In addition, he has to maintain that do it or else mentality, which keeps him evil, but doesn't necessarily translate into evil on the part of those following orders.

[face_laugh] Well Palps does maintain that do it or else mentality. Mr. Choketodeathanyofmyunderlingswhofailme Vader says that the Emperor is not as forgiving as he is. Now if Palps is evil, and the Empire carries out his wishes, it in turn is evil. I'm not saying that the people who follow the orders are necessarily evil. But the Empire as a whole commits evil acts, and is therefore evil, much in the same way the Third Reich was.

They resisted the HRE empire, too, but were overwhelmed or eventually gave up, which is why the HRE is a better analogy than Hitler's regime.

Okay, I can see your point. i.e. why you chose the HRE. I could never figure out how the Romans defeated Gaul though. In the history books that I have read that covered that period of time Asterix and Obelix always annihilated them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.