main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the Empire really that bad?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by numaer, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. numaer

numaer Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2005
    I once read a Star Wars book(I don't remember which one) in which some imperial officer says that the Emperor wasn't exactly a tyrant.The reason for the slightly "strict" rule was that there are more than a hundred thousand planets in the galaxy, each with different customs and traditions.It wouldn't have been possible for one Emperor to satisfy every planet, so he ruled with a tight hand.We can only say that the Emperor was power hungry not a tyrant and there is a difference between the two.The Death Star was created only because he was afraid of losing his power. Whats more Grand Moff Tharkin used it, not the Emperor. The Emperor probably didn't object because almost all rebel leaders belonged to that planet(Much like the US army invading all of Iraq and Afghanistan because of a few individuals).The Rebels destroyed the Death Stars with thousands of soldiers, many working for the Empire because of poverty and other purely innocent reasons.

I know many wouldn't agree but just give it a thought.After all "Good is a point of view."

2. TK-2432

TK-2432 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2005
    We just want to bring order to the galaxy. Is that too much to ask?

3. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Um' yes. Tricking a galactic government in order to install a dictator is pretty bad. Blowing up a planet of innocent people is kind of bad. Murdering hundreds of Jedi in cold-blood is a little mean. ;)

So yea the Empire is pretty bad.

4. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Yes, there really that bad. Its says it right in the opening scroll of ANH - " The Evil Galactic Empire ". Of course its open to argument because everything is, but you should go into this argument realizing that its already been settled all the way back in 1977.

5. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    There pretty bad. But I still love the Empire. I tyreyed to start a fanclub but I was'nt alloweed.

Empires fanboy;)

6. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    That could just be the Rebel propaganda machine at work.

7. ARCTROOP

ARCTROOP Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2005
    at the beginning of ANH, it does say the "evil" glactic empire, but its biased in favour of the rebellion, which are the good guys. once i was reading a star wars book and i remember someone, affiliated with the New Republic, saying the empire kept peace and order in the galaxy. They basically said "like your neighbor, or we will kill you." It kept peace and order in the galaxy, though through means of fear.

8. DarthAnakin101

DarthAnakin101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2005
    I agree with the others, but reading this has given me new perspective. Maybe Palpatine believed the Senate couldn't keep order like it was, so he made the "Like the Empire and your fellow planets, or be destroyed."

That last line sounded like Stewie from Family Guy.

9. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    The Empire was good in the same way The Third Reich was good.

you know, having a police state where one person can get rid of anybody he doesnt like. its the kind of sweet, cozy place where you get shot for having a different opinion than the government.
    or if you complain that you arent represented you get get killed.

what a fine thought. i think the Jedi were wrong to overthrow such a benevolent, freedom loving government

10. MickyJedi

MickyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    Totally agree. We can't live in a state/empire without freedom.

11. masterjedi747

masterjedi747 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Yes. The Empire really was that bad.
    Is THAT the basis of reasoning behind your question? You actually BELIEVED Palpatine? [face_laugh] [face_plain]

12. sithlord-3

sithlord-3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    the empire is alot like communism, because of the whole order thing. When Lucas made the script it was a time of totalitarian regimes, and at the same time the Vietnam war was ending, so he was tring to show the rebbels as sort of hipies, figting "against the power" and for peace( also the jedi are hella hippy, i mean they never take showers, and just look at them.

Ok the empire might be mean and kill people but as anakin said "the senate is too slow and always debate and dissagree"

IT is a question of living in fear but in order or in a big mess with freedom.

The empire and the SITH are the best.

LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE , hurah.

13. numaer

numaer Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2005
    Obi wan says himself in ROTJ "A lot of truths we cling to depend on our point of view..."
    I think that Palpatine said something very wise when he said that good was a point of view. I think the Empire is good and you don't.

14. Republic_Trooper

Republic_Trooper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2005
    Was not allowed by who?

15. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    The Rebels are terrorist, evil-doers who hate freedom and want to impose a dark ideology of fear and hate upon the galaxy. Duh! :oops:

<[-]> Saber

16. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    But is the Empire freedom? I thought it was a Dictatorship set on controlling the Galaxy into chaos and madness. But that's just me. :p

If anything, the Rebels are fighting for freedom, not because they hate it. Remember the Pilgrims, Revolutionary War and all that crap? Well it turns out, that what America did to secure their freedom and separation from England, is the same thing the Rebels are doing.

:)

17. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    You're too literal. I was mocking our illustrious president.

<[-]> Saber

18. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I added my own humor to my post. If I ever come off too serious, it's usually because I'm joking.

:)

19. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Any dictatorship is bad.

20. Grand_Admiral_Mark

Grand_Admiral_Mark Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2005
    Did you see the way the civilians moved as far away from the STormtroopers when they went to see Labria the spy, they looed scared to me, I should think that shows the Empire evilness. also, you don't kill a bunch of Jawa's and civilians like the stormtroopers did when searching for the droids.

21. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    Safety, security, order, and a lack of corruption do not necessarily equate evil in my mind. If anything, the Empire got rid of the greed and decadence of the Old Republic. Replacing that fragmented and ailing loose government.

The people of the galaxy had finally reached a point in their evolution were they were beyond democratic systems. Emperor Palpatine was their leader. He was a teacher compared to mere school children. Is that dictatorship?

History would have absolved the late Emperor had not Darth Vader betrayed him! Besides, you all conveniently fail to mention that the Empire was the true government. Remember the near unanimous consent of the entire Senate in ROTS?

The Rebellion were insurgents were created a persecution complex to garner support from backwater and unimportant worlds. The backbone of their ranks were disaffected, poor, impressionable youth.

Emperor Palpatine would have repelled the Yuuzhan Vong thanks to his strong military or any other threat for that matter. He unified the people and cracked down on inept and avaricious planetary governers.

Decisions can be made much easier with an autocratic leader.

The Empire was good. The Rebels are terrorists.

<[-]> Saber

22. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    ''Well then they should be made to agree.''-Anakin Skywalker
    ''That sounds alot like a dictatorship to me.''-Padme

Thats exactly what the Empire is, a giant galatic dictatorship. The Empire and Darth Vader rule over the entire empire, not letting systems being independant, taking land for training camps,killing those who oppose their rule and keep everyone in line.

Its good to a sense,where they take care of their planets and give free education to potential humans/aliens [and the empire isn't very fond of aliens]To make up for their generousity they usually take the smartest ones and relocate them and keep them working to develope great things for the Empire.

They focuse with bringing justice to the system,but they are too defensive.

23. Darth_Joshy

Darth_Joshy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    I had to say it but it seems the book you read was nothing but pure one-sided propaganda.

Have you ever read the "Declaration of Rebellion." It lists all the reasons, which are valid, as to way the Empire was bad.

As few of the key points in the declaration were that Palpatine disbanded the Senate - the voice of the people, he taxed without consulting those who were taxed, he used the military to oppess the citizens of the Empire, and there's more.

As for the Emperor not using the Death Star himself, you didn't see Imperial Guards going in to arrest Tarkin for having destroyed Alderaan. Palpatine actually liked Tarken and the way he carried out things, like when he landed his ship on a crowd of protesters on Coruscant.

Did you also know that the Empire enslaved Kashyyyk? They made the wookies do slave labor.

I think you need to put down that one book and read a little expanded universe.

24. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    First of all, the Ghorman "Massacre" was an accident used as a propaganda tool by the Rebels.

Wookie enslavment? No way. Ever heard of indentured servitude? Every one of those Wookies worked by their consent. The Empire needed strong workers.

<[-]> Saber

25. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Right, but picture yourself in Empire control. You are a land owner on some planet in the Republic, but have no rights and no freedoms. The government controls you and your actions ... though more specifically, Palpatine controls you and your actions. You are basically a slave to an undemocratic regime.

Just imagine yourself there and then tell me if you think the Empire isn't all that bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.