Is the EU being destroyed by the PT???

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ritual, Feb 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Ritual Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Is anybody else here annoyed that Lucas seems to be contradicting and ignoring the EU at nearly every turn? We are all going to end up with book collections that do not make any sense at all with the movies. Isn't there some responsiblity on Lucas's part to have the two universes be somewhat compatable??

RITUAL...
  2. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    No responsibility on his part, it's his to do with as he pleases. And they all fit together reasonably well so far with only a few minor glitches.
  3. Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't care. A story is a story. The whole EU is just a giant junk pile of contradicting stories anyway! If anyone even cares anymore they are fighting a lost cause.
  4. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Yousa nuts. In my opinion and personal experience, the EU <i>is</i> Star Wars. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.
  5. Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I didn't say that the EU wasn't Star Wars. I just said that all the different stories are so differnt. From the X-wing novels to the Callista Tril, from TTT to the NJO, from the JAT to the Corellian Tril.

They are all like totally different things. It is just messed up. I can understand why lots of people on other genre fiction fourms think they suck. I happen to like them.

I'm not bashing them, just saying its a giant mess.
  6. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I don't see your point.

World War I is a lot different to World War II which was a lot different to the Vietnam War which was a lot different to the Gulf War.

See what I mean, not everything is the same in storytelling, otherwise it would get repetitive and *boring*.
  7. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    "World War" is almost synonymous with "story"
  8. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Wars make for the best stories.
  9. yoddles Jedi Knight

star 3
    even if the preqels all contradict the EU books and stories and lucas says he likes the books but that he wont make them canon star wars we can just go around with our books and say we consider them part of canon star wars,

besides this i dont really care if lucas says he acepts the books as part of his star wars universe or not, i'll just keep my books and ignore all of the crappy **** lucas writes that contradicts the EU! because as far as im concerned the EU has made his star wars vision alot of money and has a large fan following and he owes it to the EU fans to acknowledge the expanded universe,without us his crappy TPM wouldnt have made half of what it did since we bought half of the tickets!
  10. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Heck - it's always been this way for the last quarter century of the eu. We had the eu being written between ANH and ESB before anyone new about Vader being Luke's dad. We had eu being written between ESB and ROTJ before anyone new Luke and Leia were related. ALl in all, the eu has fared exceptionally well, considering the frequency with which the "saga" has changed around.
  11. Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    What I meant was the feel of the stories. Each it so different even though they all take place in the same amount of time. Whatever. The EU is a crazy thing.
  12. Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling

star 4
  13. Jeremyguy Jedi Master

star 4
    Watch the language, please. :)

I wouldn't say it's being destroyed. It just means that we have to be more creative as readers. :)
  14. junio Jedi Master

star 4
    Not really. I really like the Prequel Trilogy and am glad that it's happening at this time of my life. I love Lucas!
  15. Thanos6 Jedi Master

star 4
  16. junio Jedi Master

star 4
    I disagree with yoddles on the TPM point. That movie would have made the same amount of money, with or without EU.
  17. Dewlanna Solo Jedi Master

star 4
    Wrong, Junio. My kids would not have begged to see either TPM or the Special Eds if I had not been readiing EU books to them in the years before TPM and the Spec. Eds were released.
    I'm sure my kids aren't the only ones who came to love Star Wars thru the novels and not the movies.

18. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Lucas ignores stuff that he originally wrote in his scripts for ep 4-6 that made it into the novelizations. So lucas contradicts himself.
  19. jastermereel Jedi Master

star 4
    Dewlanna Solo, I commend you...your reading your children the EU is what will carry the Star Wars Fandom onwards after Prequel Hype is over with...I myself was born in a pre-EU era however my father told me stories of Star Wars none the less......Praise be to you for continuing on the fan base!
  20. junio Jedi Master

star 4
    If you say so... I am sure that at the moment your kids saw the ships and the lightsabers and all on the TV ads, they were gonna be begging you to take them to the movies to see the new Star Wars movie. Reading them or not reading them... Add all their friends talking about the movie, and the rest of the media (news, papers, magazines, etc) having articles on SW. I am sure your kids would have wanted to see the movie, with you reading them or not.
  21. RingoJuna Jedi Knight

star 3
    I do believe i'll be chiming in with Dewlanna. I won't guess at the numbers, but there had to be some effect on the ticket sales for the Phantom Menace by the EU. In the local Books a Million, the new Star Wars hardcovers get special placement, they get noticed. if not for the EU, i wouldn't be as big of a fan as i am. I mean, look at how some of the EU characters have transgressed those pages! Thrawn might as well have been in the movies, as popular as he is.
  22. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Oh, for heavens sake! If you're going to be mad about it, give us at least one example where this has happend! As far as I know, the TPM hasn't contradicted anything that hasn't been fixed by LFL. The only things that may be contradicted by the PT are the ROTJ novellzation, the Droids cartoon show, and the Droids comic books. I think I can live with that.

As for the EU contradicteding itself, go look at Star Trek's "EU"s (or even ST itself, for that matter) and THEN come back and complain.

TC
  23. Smashalot Jedi Knight

star 1
    For lack of a better word, Yes.

The PT was always bound to disrupt the EU. There was never anyway of avoiding it. It will not totally destroy it, but there will be several "glitches" in the system that will be unable to be given a proper explanation.

24. Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    With the EU having as strong a fanbase as it does, I doubt that the PT will destroy it. No matter how much Lucas ignores the EU, the fact of the matter is that it exists - and there is nothing that he can do about that now.

On a more personal note to that however, my choices on contradicting events will depend on what I like better. But I normally go by what has happened (or in this case, been published) first. If I have read something and then something else comes along that completely goes against it, I would have a hard time rationalising the second telling with the first, rather than the other way round. Does that make any sense?
  25. Dewlanna Solo Jedi Master

star 4
    junio " If you say so... I am sure that at the moment your kids saw the ships and the lightsabers and all on the TV ads, they were gonna be begging you to take them to the movies to see the new Star Wars movie."
    Nope. They haven't begged to see any other overly-hyped movies with cool toys.

" Add all their friends talking about the movie, and the rest of the media (news, papers, magazines, etc) having articles on SW. I am sure your kids would have wanted to see the movie, with you reading them or not."
    Sorry. My kids are not that influenced by the media. Friends' recommendations, yes. But, ya know what? the only one of their friends who liked TPM was an 8 year old girl who really liked Jar-Jar, and she got over Jar-Jar as soon as Toy Story 2 came out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.