main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is The Force Awakens Novel Worth Reading?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Bluewaterpig, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Bluewaterpig

Bluewaterpig Jedi Padawan

Sep 17, 2014
    I just watched a few Snoke theory videos (saving my remarks) and one of them featured a passage where Snoke talks about why he chose Kylo Ren. I really had no idea that there was any additional dialogue like this. Is there a significant amount of extra information in TFA novel? Is it worth reading?

2. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    Its up to you.

For me, I think Aftermath, Lost Stars and Bloodline are enough for me.

JediFett10 likes this.
  3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    No. It's a complete waste of time. It has a few extra scenes that are fun --- Leia at the Resistance Base at the beginning of the novel, Poe Dameron waking up from the TIE fighter crash --- but otherwise it's just the movie script on page with little to no extrapolation or character introspection. Possibly the worst and most pointless of any of the film adaptations. Skip this one.

Erkan12, Vialco, Nobody145 and 4 others like this.
  4. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    What Jeff_Ferguson said. For me it was very hard to get through, especially towards the back half. I have no desire to reread it and that's saying something considering I've read the other adaptations several times.

Maybe just google the added dialogue bits so you're in the know.

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Here is the scene your talking about.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Read it at least once but it definitely doesn't compare to the movie imo.

7. Bluewaterpig

Bluewaterpig Jedi Padawan

Sep 17, 2014

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    There are some ok parts, but otherwise yeah, of all the novelizations it follows the original film almost 1:1 without much in addition.

One thing it has going for it is that Foster seems to favor the third person limited narrative voice (not always, but often), meaning you'll have one character's perspective on a scene and the events. That gave Foster a chance to reveal things that might have been a little more ambiguous in the film, such as what Han was thinking throughout the showdown with Kylo. However, on the other hand, it reveals what Foster was allowed to give away and what he was clearly barred from exploring. That takes away a little more of the mystery -- for instance, using the Han example again, Han's not playing a double-game when he confronts Kylo; he makes the decision spur-of-the-moment because he'd he'd feel guilty otherwise when he returned to Leia and said he didn't try to persuade him to come home. Not that most of us thought Han was playing something, but still, it seemed silly Han of all people would just go out there and be fooled into getting himself killed by his obviously angsty wayward son.

So for that reason, the novel sometimes puts a... different... slant on things. Or at least reveals certain elements of the plot while clearly indicating what can't be explained yet.

9. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I've flipped through it and it does none of the expanding on the films that the ROTS and ROTJ novelizations do. Nah, not really worth it.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I found it the hardest slog of any novel I have ever read. The sentences had unnecessary words in - to me, that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erkan12 likes this.
  11. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015

Actually, that's kind of what I like about Foster's writing. The book covered no new ground, so I think if you've seen the film, there's no need to read the book. But I do enjoy Foster's prose--at least, I enjoy it here and in the adaptation of ANH. For some reason, his writing style feels different to me in Splinter of the Mind's Eye. It's been a while since I've read The Approaching Storm, so I can't comment on that, but I think his approach to adaptation is more artistic.

All that said, I prefer the ANH adaptation. Would not recommend reading TFA novel to anyone except completists.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    It's too bad, because I would like to read it, despite the general consensus. But my reading time is valuable, and there's so much out there to read without taking time out to read something that's almost exactly like what I've already watched, several times. I skimmed through bits of it enough to see that it's even worse at pacing the action than usual; oh so deliberate early on and ridiculously rushed at the end...same old Alan Dean Foster.

13. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    its not essential reading and doesn't really add much was disapointed in it myself. but it does have a few extra scenes

14. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    It was more or less the script of the movie. A few extra bits of dialogue here and there, but I tend to agree with the others on this. It isn't mandatory to read it. Maz'z conversation with Rey after she picked up the blade was probably the most interesting for me.