main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is The Force Awakens praised due to prequel reception?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DBPirate, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    I can't really see how anyone can say that the characters were more intriguing in TFA or developed well. Don't get me wrong I loved the film and like a few of the new characters but IMO the character development especially for Rey was terrible.

TLR115, Samnz, darskpine10 and 2 others like this.
  2. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    I do know that there are many people who are worshiping TFA due to their hatred of the PT; I know there are many who genuinely love the movie, I know there are many that loathe the movie because they love the PT and I know there are many who genuinely hate the movie.

I don't have a problem if you genuinely like/dislike the film; but to like/dislike TFA just because you like/dislike the PT...is pretty pathetic.

I myself am a PT lover, and I too enjoy TFA very much. Like I've said a thousand times before, I'm a Saga fan.

3. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    Nice to meet another saga fan :) Too be honest I'm surprised I enjoyed TFA as much as I do if you had seen my old posts I was gearing to hate it due to the terrible marketing campaign. But to my surprise I really enjoyed the film even despite its flaws. I love Star Wars and I'm proud to be a saga fan much more peaceful :)

ObiWanKnowsMe and Sith_Smuggler like this.
  4. Sith_Smuggler

Jan 9, 2016

*High fives*

I was excited for the movie from the moment the first rumors of its making came out. Scared yes, but also excited. I was not disappointed and liked it very much though of course, I had a couple of nit-picks with it as well.

But lordy, the way people go on and on! You'd think they were discussing something real and problematic instead of an entirely fictional creation. >_>

It's just not worth getting so worked up on something that doesn't even exist, as much as we wish it does.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  5. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

And you were thinking you were the only one? :D

I also like The Force Awakens despite the issues I've found in it. I'm just hoping that Episode VIII and IX will clear up the holes and issues I've found in this new chapter.

6. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

First off the two most popular shows in America are A Walking Dead and GOT which are shows that are well known to make their good guys suffer constantly. The reason why the OT and shows like GOT do better with a majority of people is that it is focused to a group of characters that were well liked and villains that are hated. Though I agree that really there is not problem preferring anything from the PT or OT or the EU or the NEU. It doesn't really matter if someone disagrees with you on fiction because at the end of the day film is an art and the quality of art depends on a certain person's point of view.

7. CoruscantDweller

Feb 28, 2015

Agreed TFA is a good movie and deserves positivity the thing is just I hate it so much because as good as it was it could have been so much better if it was just a bit more original and spent more time in the mythological and world building aspects of the universe.

Darth Nerdling and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  8. Sith_Smuggler

Jan 9, 2016

Yes, that was where my main problems lie. And of course, Death Star/run version 3.0. I was already sick of that in RotJ!

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  9. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Being a full-saga fan is definitely more peaceful and enjoyable. I naturally love all episodes and it's great[face_laugh]

10. CoruscantDweller

Feb 28, 2015

I like the Saga as well many people think that just because you criticize elements of a story you automatically don't like it which isn't true. There are good things and bad things in all seven SW films, Rebels, both CW shows and the rest of the EU both new and old. And at the end of the day those views are a personal desire for what you want in the story.

I enjoyed TFA from start to finish mainly because I went ignoring what I wanted and just enjoyed the ride and I got to admit I enjoyed it a lot however still just like any piece of work it can always be improved.

Force Smuggler and Valairy Scot like this.
  11. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    I agree with that. I went in and saw TFA the first time expecting so many things and while I wasnt disappointed, I didnt enjoy it as much as other people did. Than I went in and watched it again without thinking of my wants and I loved it. Im up to 7 times seeing it so I would say it's got a welcoming to the saga from me

12. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Always 3 saga fans there are...

13. Prisic Duskleap

Jul 24, 2014
    Being a saga fan just makes life more peaceful. I would hate to have the mentality of some of the OT purists that take these movies wayyyy too seriously. Star Wars at its core is meant to be escapist fun if it accomplishes that it's done it's job in my opinion.

Sith_Smuggler and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  14. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    I probably am guilty of taking Star Wars too serious as well from time to time.but I agree, the PT were wonderful and I saw them multiple times in theaters because I loved them and it was a way to escape reality for a couple hours.

15. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    My best Star Wars friend (we share our unwavering appreciation for the OT) qualifies as an incorrigible prequel hater. With our sons we recently watched the end of the first season of Rebels and when his son was happily surprised by Ahsoka Tano's appearance, his mood deteriorated considerably (we had to tell him that Ahsoka wasn't in the prequels so he should have really no reason to find fault with her...).

On the other hand he was rather happy with TFA (okay, he's a Falcon and Solo fan) and apparently had none of the issues I had with the film (which made me actually re-appreciate what Lucas had done with the prequels).

I believe for a lot of fans it apparently does come to "prequel compensation", but this should have neither been the goal or perception of TFA, IMHO.

16. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    I'm a "good idea;bad execution" PT fan. I think there was a general hope that TFA would redeem the franchise. There were two big fears going into this thing. The first was that Star Wars couldn't be made by anyone other than George. The second was that it might end up being as bad as the PT. TFA ended up proving that both of those fears were unfounded, and I think that discovery is how the "prequel compensation effect" artificially elevated TFA's status for a lot of people from "pretty good" to "outstanding."

Force Smuggler likes this.