main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the Force only in living things? Yoda / Qui-Gon

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by OB1Anakin, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OB1Anakin

OB1Anakin Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    YODA: And well you should not. For my ally in the Force. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. It's energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we...(Yoda pinches Luke's shoulder)...not this crude matter. (a sweeping gesture) You must feel the Force around you. (gesturing) Here, between you...me...the tree...the rock...everywhere! Yes, even between this land and that ship!

ANAKIN : Master, sir...I've been wondering...what are midi-chlorians?
    QUI-GON : Midi-chlorians are a microcopic lifeform that reside within all living cells and communicates with the Force.
    ANAKIN : They live inside of me?
    QUI-GON : In your cells. We are symbionts with the midi-chlorians.
    ANAKIN : Symbionts?
    QUI-GON : Life forms living together for mutual advantage. Without the midi-chlorians, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the Force. They continually speak to you, telling you the will of the Force.
    ANAKIN : They do??
    QUI-GON : When you learn to quiet your mind, you will hear them speaking to you.

Interesting that Yoda says rock and ship. Is the force a part of non-living objects? Please don't bash...I'm not trying in any way to try and disprove GL and the force. Just wanted to start up a "friendly" discussion.

2. DarthNigel

DarthNigel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 2003
    Life creates the Force (Kenobi ANH, Yoda ESB), but non-living things are still affected by it, and a person who can manipulate the Force can potentially manipulate non-living things using the Force.

3. Max Rebo

Max Rebo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 1998
    good post, OB1. Like Yoda says, the Force is an energy field that surrounds all living beings, and some are able to use it to affect the universe around them, hence the ability to move rocks, droids, and X wings, among other things. While the Force is not part of non-living things, they can be affected by someone using the Force.

4. Lord_Makro

Lord_Makro Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 13, 2002
    Exactly!

5. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    The key word here is between. The Force is an energy field created by living things thus it would extend out beyond the source and be able to affect the rock or the ship. And even on a rock or a ship there are probably bacteria or other microscopic organisms about.

6. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    ok, so here we have two explanations fro what the force is, and neither of them have anything to do with the other. Qui-gon is saying it's these little one celled creatures that live inside you. so is the force some kind of bacterial virus, or invisible bubble of stuff?

7. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Midichlorians are not the Force.

8. Max Rebo

Max Rebo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 1998
    Midichlorians are CONDUITS to the Force, not the Force themselves. People with higher than normal midichlorian counts are "Force sensitve" or able to use the Force. Simple, really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.