main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph is the hbo series rome any good?

Discussion in 'Community' started by AAAAAH, Jan 13, 2013.

1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's been a while since I saw the show, but I did enjoy it.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm shocked Jello didn't ban you for using a small "r".

3. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    kinda trifling, when there's so many other good reasons to ban me.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It is enjoyable, but it is also an HBO show so there are a bunch of detestable craven sex interludes for no real reason. Happily, though, unlike Game of Thrones, no one tried to weave plot into it, so you can pretty much just fast forward without missing anything.

5. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    No real reason? They're portraying the elites (mostly) in Ancient Rome. Those people went at it like bunnies.

6. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    sex for its own sake doesn't really bother me, unless it's really bad sex.

7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    They did lots of things. Go to the bathroom, eat at a luxurious pace, et cetera. None of those other activities get big weird interludes, so there's no particular reason this one should either.

8. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Rome sex scenes > Game of Thrones sex scenes

Saintheart likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Triflin' like Bird?

lol. I bet you cover your face when they're on Wocky, but create a tiny gap to watch them through your fingers. You love it.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Who's the virgin whore trope chick in that one for you to adore wocky (a la Kate or Boomer)?

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Heh heh. Don't worry Clara, I know you're after the same thing that I am. I'll assure you that a good chunk of it takes place in the Urbs, and that their attempt to realistically render Roma is one of the highlights of the show. While distant views of the seven hills are necessarily either CGI or matte work, one of the main setpieces of the show is a pretty good reconstruction of the republican-era Forum Romanum. They've also done a great job showing the interior of various urban domus.

Their portrayal of the Curia Cornelia, on the other hand, is sadly inaccurate but oh well.

Nah he's kind of right in that a lot of stuff is not only unnecessary, but dead wrong. Like how they made a few characters known for chastity into complete... well, you know. And the reason was obviously ratings, as it tends to be with HBO. People rarely had affairs with highborn women because they were, well, kind of boring in bed. That's how they were raised (except for the scandalous ones -- though the scandalous ones were the same ones who dared get an education, so there were probably ulterior motives for maligning them) so men tended to prefer prostitutes or slaves when they wanted to have their fun times.

Now, when they do properly portray late republican decadence (like with dodgy orgy parties and the like) I have less to complain about since that's more on the money.

Sauntaero likes this.
  12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    haha u forgot margery tyrell

hi-five, solojones. hi-five

13. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I watched Rome and totally enjoyed it. The sex/nude scenes got to the point with me where I was thinking, "Oh, well, they're naked again or they're having sex again," and just basically ignored those scenes. I did stop watching "Spartacus" because the sex scenes were over the top and just totally unnecessary to the plot.

Game of Thrones has much less sex in it than either of the two shows mentioned above.

14. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    its really not surprising that rome has a lot of unnecessary sex in it when you remember that john milius provided the intiative for it. you know, the fat paranoid misogynist who inspired the (very sympathetically portrayed, contra-reality, apparently) john goodman character in The Big Lebowski

15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    This is completely awful and outrageous. I can't believe that:

A. You guys would say something like this
    B. They made such a terrible name to describe these characters (What does it even mean)
    C. It is true (?)

Except, Rogue, you are in deep error about Margaery Tyrell. The books clearly establish that she doesn't know anything about sexual relationships, and the closest she comes to romance is love for her people and country.

16. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    okay i watched the first couple episodes and wow no wonder this show was cancelled - it looks like they spent millions upon millions of dollars on each. my favorite scene was the one where the boy and the clown hold up the liquor store and the truck rams through the window and kills the clown, leaving only the boy.

17. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    what is up with these egyptians? they look like star wars people. it's like cantina time on this show!

18. Amatsu Mikaboshi

Amatsu Mikaboshi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    I don't know about authentic or accurate, but it was engaging and entertaining. The characters and plot moved along at a good pace, and the acting/writing had you either cheering or booing the characters.

19. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    i don't think i've encountered a character on this show that i do not like, other than the star wars egyptians from naboo. but they are still okay, actually.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Funny, I keep watching Spartacus because of the sex scenes. Different strokes, literally.

21. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I've never seen "Rome" or "Game of Thrones" but whenever people talk about them the conversation inevitably boils down to one thing:

[​IMG]

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No, you seek Oz.