main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the MSW plot summary real?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BobaBacca, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    http://makingstarwars.net/2015/05/a-compiled-synopsis-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

It was posted 21st May.

If this is the real plot summary for The Force Awakens, why is it still available to be read by anybody and everybody?

Surely if it was the real plot summary, there would be copyright claims and it would be taken down, no?

It's not on a chan type board or anything like that, it's on a well known website, just there, existing in full view of Disney, Lucasfilm, Abrams etc.

They obviously do have the power to act, but they haven't, so why not?

2. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    What could Disney/Lucasfilm do exactly?

You can't sue for copyright over the rumoured plot of a story.

mykillmyers, TK327, JediLight and 5 others like this.
  3. QuiJohn

QuiJohn Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 16, 2000
    Han, you wanna take this one?

[​IMG]

Tommytom, YTMND, Davak24 and 26 others like this.
  4. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Forgot to say, most of their spoilers have been confirmed so it stands to reason it's all real.

JediLight, thejeditraitor and Satipo like this.
  5. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    There are key details missing, like Plagueis or Luke fighting Kylo.

6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    It's the most demonstrably accurate source to date. The guy who wrote it was contacted by lawyers who were not best pleased but as pointed about above, there is no legal recourse against someone compiling stuff they they have hear or been told or shown. Plus, if Disney do take it down, they confirm the whole thing.

It doesn't provide any context and there may be revisions, omissions, misinterpretation or even misinformation, depending on your own personal take.

Will it be 100% accurate or tell the whole picture? No.

Might it be contradicted by new information in the future (or indeed by the release)? Of course.

Is there other info from other sources out there that contradicts it in a major way- some, yes, but very little from proven credible sources (which does not mean those sources cannot be correct).

But it's the most reliable info to date and until it starts being proven wrong it can't be totally dismissed.

I think that covers pretty much everything.

Basically, we'll seen.

7. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    It's not a copyright issue.

HanSolo29 , sterling3763 and Satipo like this.
  8. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Not to say its inaccurate, but it is quite vague. There is essentially no "why" in the MSW plot, but a good amount of "what". There are major details missing. One could take the MSW info and make 10 completely different films that all fit the description.

9. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    All the posts in this thread basically cover all the facts. So....

IBTL :D

Satipo likes this.
  10. Sampy007

Sampy007 Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2015
    Plagueis? Really? Is that still a thing hahaha :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. ksb36

ksb36 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2014
    It's one person's educated guess. There's probably a lot right in there, but its clear he is missing details.

The TONE of the film is the most important element that a summary can never capture. Cinema is a language. If the language of the film is off, the film won't work, even if it has adequate structure, effects and plot (Star Trek Into Darkness?). The correct tone can also save a film that may have some issues (2009's Star Trek).

I've seen JJ miss this, and also get it right. I think with Kathy Kennedy and the world class team they have put together, they're going to give it the absolute best effort that they can. And that's all we can ask for.

12. KnightOfRen

KnightOfRen Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    It seems pretty real to me...

Satipo likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    of course it's real.

TurboPGT and Satipo like this.
  14. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Who are you referring to?

15. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    I do think the call sheets were real. Probably woefully and purpously vague, and using language that is either partially coded and/or missing essential details. But yeah, not fake in the sense it was made up or planted by a misinformation campaign.

16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    well, for one they could find out who is the mole feeding Making Star Wars this info if it is indeed real, and I suspect based on things we have seen in trailers that some one from Lucasfilms is feeding Making Star Wars info. something similar happened when they were filming episode 2, a disgruntled lucasfilms employee who got fired went dumpster diving at the Skywalker Ranch and gave the script, concept art, and many other things to this site, "theforce.net" and other sites like this, lucasfilms sued the guy and he got up to 5 years in prison....

T-R- likes this.
  17. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    MSW has had pieces of info which they sprinkled with their own speculation and voila! You have a plot summary.

Jcuk, Granek and T-R- like this.
  18. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    FGS.... kill this thread now.

19. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    99% of people don't even know who Plagueis is, so for him to be saved as a reveal would not work for the general audience. So I think Plagueis was no more than a guess by the sources of MSW. The rest comes from various real bits of info garnered from some production leak or other. Coupled with guesswork by looking at the concept art.

Justrec likes this.
  20. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    its an educated guess from call sheets and old concept art, if it were closer to the true plot of the film I'm pretty sure it would be taken down like the leaked photo of Luke was.

Darth_Pevra, Jcuk and SaintKenobi1322 like this.
  21. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I've thought about this a lot, and I think there are three possibly answers to the OP's question.

1. The MSW summary is so far off base that Disney has allowed it to remain up.
    That possibility has been largely debunked, because so far, MSW has been on point with the visuals.

2. The report is accurate, and Disney kicking up a storm about it would only draw more attention to the outline, so they have chosen to ignore it.
    Very possible, and logical even, but I cringe when people suggest Disney 'can't do anything about it.' Disney and its team of $1,000 an hour attorneys most certainly could get SOMETHING done about that outline if it wanted to play dirty. Hell, if the thing that spolierific, they could buy the site and shut it down if nothing else. But again, would that be confirmation that what was there was correct and make matters worse?

3. The 'whats' and 'whens' of the outline were accurate at the time, but were incomplete and have since been modified, and the MSW editorial guesses about the 'whys' are wrong, making the outline no more harmful than what Disney was going to show in the trailers anyway.
    I tend to lean toward this theory. Again, we have seen a lot of what MSW described, but the trailers, teasers and MSW outline have given us NOTHING in the way of the film's true plot. Look at all the questions we still don't have answers to, and we are now less than a month away from release. Whatever MSW got right, Disney must have decided it could live with.

And just my opinion, and I have brought this up before, remember that Kirk's death scene in Generations was re-shot because an actor gave away the ending. Don't think for a second that JJ won't protect his mystery box if he feels too much got out with re-shoots, additions and subtracts. And in that case, we will never know if MSW was wrong or if they were right and it was revised. And at that point, it would benefit Disney to have the outline remain up.

jaqen and Jensaarai-defender like this.
  22. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Of the above, it's likely that it's #2. There's plenty of things in the trailers that have verified what is in the outline. Even small details like Finn getting his jacket from Poe have been in there for quite a while before we actually saw anything verifying it.

It's legit. Probably just the broad strokes with detail missing, but it's mostly checked out so far.

23. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    Its all mis/dis-information to keep folks guessing. This is possibly the movie of a generation and folks understand that from the beginning, so, I would say that many steps have been taken to keep the story, safely anonymous. Like an old puzzle....you may or may not have all the pieces laid out in front of you....but no idea how they fit together.

24. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I no longer think it's disinformation. I think it's either straight up what we're getting, or it there are omissions (in the sense that certain secrets may have been held back internally) or revisions or mistakes they will be genuine - in other words, there was a legit leak at one point. How accurate and up to date that information was once things were shot, then after reshoots, and then after the edit remains to be scene. Even the shooting scripts, never mind schedules etc will often differ from the film we see.

25. TheKnightsOfRenandStimpy

TheKnightsOfRenandStimpy Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 29, 2015
    Or it is disinformation that is party true. Meaning, all the correct information is things that they knew would eventually be revealed in trailers but the rest that we haven't seen in trailers is false. So while the info we have fits the trailers, it won't fit the actual film. That would allow them to make us believe we were getting all this inside info but in reality they gave us what we would have got anyway within the trailers.

Far fetched, but I would really be delighted and surprised if this happened.

LunarMoth and Aayla_Amidala like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.