main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is The New Republic that weak and ineffective?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MasterDillon, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    So I just got back from the premier of Star Wars The Force Awakens, and it was a great movie, but one thing just keeps bothering me, and that's how much of an effective government is the Republic? I mean from the start of the film it is pretty obvious how much of a threat the First Order has become considering that their armies are very well equipped, have been well trained, and have a leader who looks like is quite on par with Palpatine. I mean seriously! How could the Republic just simply standby and ignore a threat like the First Order? The movie mentions that the Republic has a powerful army, and fleet, but they don't even use them? Instead they have to sponsor a Resistance movement in order to fight this new threat? This is something that is absolutely mind boggling to me because if The Republic has an army then there is really no need for The Resistance considering they could probably deal with The First Order themselves. I'm just betting that this new Galactic government is suffering from the same bureaucracy that The Republic from the prequel trilogy did. I'm very curious to see how they are going to deal with The First Order considering they just destroyed an entire solar system with their super weapon.

2. staticdash22

staticdash22 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    Mon Mothma. Aftermath makes it clear she is deluded and thought the threat was over. A competent government has contingency plans in case of an emergency. Well, I hope they do lol.

3. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    Just look at the Allied nations before WW2. After a brutal war some countries are determined to forge their weapons into plow shares. Mon Mothma did the same, albeit funding the resistance.

jc1138 likes this.
  4. Kajash

Kajash Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2002
    Every faction was ineffective. The whole landscape of the galaxy reminded me of the dark ages after the collapse of the Roman Empire.

Redimet and syferdiasisalie like this.
  5. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    From what I can tell from the visual dictionary, the Republic didn't consider the FO a threat until it was too late, seeing them as just some jumped-up Imperial remnants out in the boonies behind their treaty-defined lines. It's like if North Korea out of nowhere unveiled a doomsday satellite and then erased Washington DC.

6. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Yes, the Visual Dictionary gives all the info, it says that the New Republic make a pact and that the practices of the First Order and the Resistance are under that pact.

It also says that the New Republic has a large fleet but nowhere near as back in the day of the Clone Wars.

And also it says that the FO has been cheating the pact and works with technology that they shouldn't, and that the New Republic doesn't want to support the Resistance and Leia is trying to gain support, that's why the Resistance seemed smaller...

It's clear that the FO got out of their hands and now that they erased those planets, they're really a treat, I wonder if know they will support Leia and Luke.

7. Ceirwyn

Ceirwyn Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    As it should. Killing 2 people does not magically eliminate a galactic government and it's myriad of issues. And it was having woes in the prequels already...

8. Ceirwyn

Ceirwyn Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    I'm not sure we'd actually consider that an evil act....
    Makes sense to me. Why would any government want to give legitimacy to any former rebel faction that disregarded it's laws? Politicians and governments don't like rebels (unless they are using them to destabilize someone else government). Of course, FO is full of barking lunatics, but if the government can put them in a nice quiet corner with their toy soldiers, they might just shut up and let the senate vote on their own pay raises and pork barrel projects.

9. Kajash

Kajash Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2002

Yep, the Empire was a heavily centralized goverment with loads of corrupt bureaucrats. Changing the system for the better will take more than a few decades. I live in Hungary, I should know.:)

10. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    Isn't the Battle of Jakku 10 years after Endor. So the New Republic kills two people, and then fights 10 long and bloody years of war on a massive scale before their final victory. Some war weariness is to be expected.

11. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    One year.

12. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    Did you just rip off the plot of Homefront?;P

13. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    What doesnt make sense to me is that with the destruction of a few key Republic planets...the entire Republic fleet and military force seems to of gone up in smoke. Even in AGFFA a Republic made up of thousands of star systems does not.....actually...cannot...store their entire military presence on just a handful of planets. It made very little sense that the only ships left for the Republic were the handful of x-wings. They were awesome to see, mind you....but highly improbable that they were the only ships spared

14. Blackstone

Blackstone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    To me, the situation with the Republic and it's relations with the First Order is analogous to what happened between WWI and WWII with the League of Nations and the rise of Nazi Germany. Both had fought a long a costly war (in both men, material, and money), a treaty was made, but the losing side thought the treaty was "unfair". Slowly and secretly, the losing party is rebuilding it's means to wage war. Aggressive minor moves are made here and there, but the winning party really doesn't see the other as a threat. It's debated in committee ;). The two differences are that the Resistance is secretly bankrolled by the Republic, (but it's too small at first to be an effective fighting force) and the First Order has a superweapon. Imagine in the late '30s or early 40s the Third Reich had a superweapon: a nuclear bomb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.