main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR Is the Old Republic going to be a bust?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by darth_nemisis, Oct 13, 2010.

1. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Just came across this article:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/ea-artist-soon-to-be-laid-off-burns-ea-management-1903

It's quite long and, judging by the first couple of paragraphs it seems like it has nothing to do with TOR. However, I'd like to highlight this portion:

So, according this guy, call him EA Louse I guess, TOR is going to be a huge bust. What do you guys think? By what I'm reading, it seems like it's going to be awesome. And, come one, more money than one of the most expensive movies of all time? Ridiculous (though, that doesn't make it a good game)!

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Honestly it sounds like there's just empty opinions there, and nothing to back it up. What are they basing this on? I don't trust it.

Ani501st likes this.
  3. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    It can't possibly be as bad as Star Wars Galaxies...

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Interesting. I suspect that if they drag out development too much, then the bubble will burst, especially considering that we've been sitting here for some time already waiting for it... my personal interest dipped a little, but I suspect a good Timeline video will remedy that. :cool:

5. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    To be fair though, World of Warcraft does that too...although they're doing it on top of already existing addictions. I mean this expansion for WoW that's coming out soon, has been coming out soon for over a year now. They keep changing the release date a few months back every once in a while. Which pisses the fans off, but somehow it works in making them want to play it even more. TOR seems to have a general release date set that they've been sticking to, so that's comforting. Plus with their goals so high (they're going to have to match the level of WoW or beat it since it's not going to be a crappy clone MMO release), the extremely long development time makes sense.

6. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Yeah, I pretty much agree with this. It just sounds like hollow bashing.

7. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Don't know about the rest of the report, but I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. Videogames are expensive business these days. Bioware keep telling us that this game has more content than all their other games combined. Well, you need cash to create content. And that's a colossal amount of content, so you're going to need a colossal amount of cash.

8. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    In that case, I doubt they'd invest so much money in something that was going to end up busting. Bioware's had tons of hits in the past, so they're not stupid. They know what they're doing.

9. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    This is only my opinion, but if I had the cash, I'd be investing in Bioware stock right about now. This game is gonna knock your socks off; assuming you're into MMO's, Star Wars and storytelling. And being a fan of the original KotOR wouldn't hurt either. To make money, you've got to spend money. And although much of TOR is a huge expensive gamble, I think it's wise to tap into an otherwise unexplored aspect of the MMORPG; the RPG.

I check out what others have to say, then I go look at it myself and form my own opinion. In the end, the success or failure of TOR will happen regardless of what is said. Word of mouth from common folk may have some impact on sales and subs but gameplay will spread the truth and reveal itself in the first month. The end result will be based on that and that alone. Anyway, press is good, even if it's bad press. It causes discussion; like this one and gives a forum for both sides to present their case.

10. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Bioware is still making it, so I am not worried. And if Bioware sold a game at $100 I would buy it. Since KOTOR Bioware has not sold me a bad game.

11. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Good point, Winged_Jedi. I believe I remember hearing a report a while back about TOR being only 1/3 of the way done and the script was larger than every episode of The Sopranos combined. That's huge.

12. Alpha_02

Alpha_02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2010
    I don't recall being letdown by anything BioWare put out like ever, so I have faith in them to deliver a very good game. As a Star Wars fan it seems like the perfect combo to me, BioWare at the helm, an empty and pretty much untapped area of the timeline to work in and the huge scope on an MMO to do it in.

They are taking a risk to a degree, by doing something that nobody else has really tried before, but I can't see how more voiced npcs, more quests relevant to your characters own storyline and so on can really be a bad thing (beats the heck out of go kill 10 of random critter x in each zone). Better than badly cloning WoW and failing like numerous other MMOs of recent years have done. So they spent lots of money on it... and? I'm not sure how the writer of the article manages to put a negative spin on it really, as if it would be better if it were really cheap and had been put out 6 months ago in a half-arsed state. They want the game to succeed so they are putting their financial weight behind it, hardly surprising, if he had said it could be a bust if the game isn't well received then he may have had a point, comes off more like typical EA bashing than anything else.

Whether it is going to be a bust or not long term who can say, until the game is out there and the initial surge of purchases/sign ups are over, I doubt anyone can really predict how much of a success the game will end up being, especially financially.

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, on one hand I doubt it is going to be as successful as some think. I mean, a lot of gamers lose patience with MMOs when they are first released since they are almost invariably buggy and unbalanced. The fact that Blizzard has had so long to fix things like that is its second biggest advantage over any new mmo, regardless of how much better the new one is. (The second is that people are already playing WOW. So if they want to play with their friends, which is the point of Multiplayer games, then they will probably default to WOW. Plus, it has Word of Mouth)

On the other hand, I can't see this being a disaster either. They already have two assured fanbases: Star Wars fans and Bioware fans. With the amount of effort they put into it, I imagine it being at least a niche game, and likely one that does very well.

Course, given the amount of money going into it, I am not sure if that would still make a profit.

14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    But there is overlap in the two groups. And there is going to be a significant portion that want to play but simply can't. Be it money issues or not having a computer capable of properly running the game. This is a bit of unexplored territory for Bioware and it could be a massive success or it could be a bit of a letdown. I don't believe it's going to be terrible though.

15. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Most the WOW players I know are ready to jump from WOW to TOR.

16. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    The only MMO that I ever played consistently was City of Heroes. I really enjoyed it too. But then I just lost interest in the repetitive missions and I started a new job, so I bailed on it.

I tried WoW but never had the time commitment to get past level 30. It was fun and it was beautiful but it was not something that I could justify investing time into. Of course, then my first kid came along and that sucked all my time away.

However, for TOR, I'm making time, setting aside $$, and will be involved from the first day. I will even be buying a new computer that will be able to run this game at the highest capacity. I'm all in because--

1. Voice acting
    2. Bioware involvement
    3. It's Star Wars

17. Alpha_02

Alpha_02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2010
    Speaking as someone who's played a ton of MMOs (EQ2, RFO, SWG, WoW, LotRO to name a few) there is a building anticipation for TOR definately, I think a lot of people will at the least try it out. How many of those people stick around will depend on the game itself (and on Cataclysm I expect).

As a current WoW player I'm really looking forward to Cata and to TOR, in pure gaming terms I'll have to wait and see which comes out on top, but as a long time BioWare fan and a massive SW fan I'm already sold really unless TOR is horrible (which I highly doubt).

18. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Cata is an extremely wise move on Blizzard's part, and probably the only card they could play now that would beat out TOR's inevitable popularity. I've been playing WoW since it was released (only recently quit), and even the wow players are well aware of TOR's release, and most are very supportive and willing to try it. The thing is, yes, WoW does have the biggest player base for an mmo right now - but that doesn't restrict those players specifically to that game. Almost every person I've known in WoW is constantly looking for new, better things. Fortunately for Blizzard...a better mmo just hasn't been made yet. Cata is going to pull all the die-hard WoW players back to addiction...just in time for TOR to be released once the brand-newness of the expansion wears off.

Basically, if TOR is even slightly around the level of quality as WoW, the extra edge of it being Bioware and Star Wars is all it needs to screw Blizzard.

19. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    Now do they have a release date yet?

20. GreyJedi23

GreyJedi23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2010
    I have hope for TOR, as per Bioware's excellent track record in the past. The one aspect that turns me off is that it is an MMORPG, and I have never been fond of that genre.

21. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    No. April 2011 the earliest, but before the end of 2011.

22. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    That works for me. Gives me more time to put money away for it.

23. TORquedvodcast

TORquedvodcast Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2010

ooh just in time for my b day lol

24. SithSarcasm

SithSarcasm Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2010
    Now I doubt it is coming out for Mac...

Would it possibly come out one day?

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    According to an X-Play report 16 people were allowed to play the game. They got 7 hours in and said they had not even left the first planet. The word "addiction" was used.