main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is the original EU completely closed off to future authors?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The One Above All, May 24, 2018.

1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The old EU (Legends) is over. They are not going to come out with stories from that era again. It is all the new canon way, and its been that way since 2014 which is what 4 years already and counting? This is a dead issue. Enjoy Legends for what it is and move on.

2. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    No plans but could it happen? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Indeed and the more time passes the less likely they will be to revisit legends and so I doubt it ever will be.

But I wish they would even if I know they won't.

Ackbar's Fishsticks and kalzeth like this.
  4. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    At the very least, they can't ruin it. We might get something but if its more minor like Cult Encounters I guess I'd rather that considering it doesn't do damage to Legends which a Disney oversight of it inevitably would.

Darth Nobunaga, Voltron64 and Anedon like this.
  5. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Some would argue they did that a long time ago, and the "Legendsization" of it all was a mercy.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I swear it's only a matter of time before some jokester pulls that stunt, be it novel, comic, sourcebook... tv show... future HolonetNews-type dealio... and probably something as unobtrusive as Canderous's story about the Yuuzhan Vong in KOTOR.

8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This place seems as good a thread as any to share this.

A fun youtube video essay about the wackiness of The Crystal Star.

I'm glad he acknowledges that it's not poorly-written --- McIntyre is a Hugo & Nebula winner, after all --- just that it's so completely zany and out there. Anyway, enjoy!

9. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Why pick on The Crystal Star when there are three whole Bounty Hunter Wars books that are so absolutely dreadful?

10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I never read those ones... I heard that they were wacky and poorly-written.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They absolutely were, barve.

12. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    The worst one for me will probably always (I hope!) be the Ruins of Dantooine.

I had to force myself to finish that one and I was reading by the speed of two or three pages a day. I couldn't handle more.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Wait, is that the one with the Star Wars Galaxies screenshot for a cover?

14. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Yep, that's the one.

15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Jeez, who thought that was a good idea?

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Look, 2003 was a weird year for cover "art".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    I love wacky in my Star Wars. I don't remember them being particularly wacky, I mostly just remember them taking all of the cool bounty hunters (who had stayed cool even through wackiness like Tales of the Bounty Hunters) and turning them into the most boring people in the galaxy. Didn't Bossk spend most of that trilogy as a paper-pushing bureaucrat for the Bounty Hunter Guild he was trying to start up? Like, even that sentence could be a funny gag, but it was handled in a way that felt more like dealing with a long-winded HR rep who is very bad at their job.

18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Obligatory video game tie-ins, a tradition continuing well into "Official Canon".
    However, X-Wing probably ruined it for every other SW game tie-in afterwards by being an impossible standard to live up to.

Part of the fun of looking into SW material is figuring out how to somehow pull a good story out of something like Ruins of Dantooine. I recall that I had at one point determined that it very clearly was the unspoken Force Unleashed 3...

jSarek and kalzeth like this.
  19. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Actually, I was referring to a screenshot being used as cover art, not the existence of said book.

20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It's all a complete package. The cover is a signpost to the sheer laziness involved with the entire idea of the novel in the first place.

... on the other hand, the name of the novel is somewhat cool - even if the novel itself nowhere lives up to it. Far better than the nonsequitor nonsense that Del Rey would pull in, say, their other novels.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    mining nostalgia for profitability is totally an equation in franchises. I expect a new content Legends novel to happen eventually. If it'll start off a side branch is another thing.

kalzeth and blackmyron like this.
  22. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Fun "Ruins of Dantooine" fact for you. A few months ago, the book came up for reprint, and thus was slated to have the "Legends" banner attached to the cover for the first time. It was suggested that we actually change and update the cover. We decided not to change it. I was among those on the side of leaving the cover as is. Partially out of wanting to preserve such an odd/funny book cover.

To date, I have not been able to figure out exactly why that screenshot became the official cover, and why no efforts were ever made to seriously improve it.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm sorry, this is mean but I have to

[​IMG]

24. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    The hero we need, but not the hero we deserve.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Careful, I'm also the guy who keeps suggesting Legends titles as good titles for canon novels.

I jokingly told Tim Zahn that his Thrawn book from last year could have been titled "Heir to the Empire". It works. And when I read the outline for Thrawn Alliances I suggested another of Tim's previous books as the title for this one. But I won't spoil which one just yet.

nancipants and Outsourced like this.